It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless man called a bum, maybe this will change your perspective

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Originally posted by Starwise

Most of the homeless people are there because of poor decisions they decided to make in their lives. Many are alcohol and drug abuse victims, but it was still their choice to partake in that.

I have little sympathy for them because they chose to give up.

To me you sound like you have no sympathy for anyone, homeless or not.
You can't tell me in this economy and society is all because of poor decisions and drug addiction.

This man in the video hasn't given up. He is trying to survive...Literally.
Many people are laid off from work...no fault of their own. They lose their entire livelihood, homes, cars and families.

Oh I know, maybe if we had a PURGE night you could just go burn down all the cities that they live in...you cant tell me you have never said that!

If your buying homes and cars and don't realize that losing your job will put you on the street than frankly your an idiot.

Perhaps you should live cheaply and save your money instead of buying those things.

Who do you live with? Your mom?

You know, mortgages are cheaper than rent and go towards owning something? You know the dependability of having a reliable vehicle to get to work is cheaper than calling a taxi twice a day for work plus your other life needs (buying toilet paper).

Most people, before the crash, felt they had job and financial security.

With your attitude, they should revoke your username. Also, you better damn well hope you are never on the street ... because you wouldn't fare well, and you would have quite a hard time accepting that you made a mistake, and better not dare ask for any help ... because someone like you will just spit in your face because your life didn't fall perfectly as planned.

Not everyone has family or friends to get them through hard times, and your god complex or not (your mood), you have made mistakes in life, and you will continue to do so, it is part of being human. Good luck on finding anyone to tolerate you, pissing away relationships is something you just might regret when you are older.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by daryllyn

I don't think you could be arrested for that. On what charge? You're not charging for the burgers. Because it's a public area? The 1st covers peaceable assembly. Good on you btw.

latest regarding slow kill/murder *Coughing** I mean "kindness" and "mercy" shown the less fortunate
Police swoop on the homeless taking sleeping bags and food parcels in co-ordinated raids in Redbridg
www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=949356

it's endemic
the "sanity" that is...

after all, got to maintain those property values

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA

Originally posted by SuicideBankers
Good thing you had debt councilors to HELP you stay off the street.HELP me to understand why you deserved a second chance and HELP from others and these other people don't?

edit on 26-5-2013 by SuicideBankers because: added to my post

Except I didn't get a second chance.

I could have taken the easy way out and filed for bankruptcy. "Mr. Banker I screwed up and had to buy every piece of high end stereo equipment I could so please wipe out the debt that I accumulated because Im overwhelmed. "

That would have been a second chance. I paid off every dollar I accumulated so therefore every dollar I owed to someone else.

Beyond that please go back and read my posts where I said multiple times the honest, injured, hard working, willing to change, willing to contribute , willing to do whatever it takes people that have been screwed by real life should get a second chance and whatever assistance they need. Versus the person that is content being a drunk, drug user , begging for money to get the next fix , has had multiple chances at help, denies treatment.. That person , after a certain point, doesn't deserve help anymore because their is someone out there that would actually use that help.

I read your full post the first time. I disagree. I think everyone should have the chance to survive and thrive. I have met people who have pulled themselves out because someone cared enough to not give up on them. No matter how many times they slipped. A lot of times when dealing with addiction people fall off the wagon multiple times but go on to do good for themselves and others. You never know who might change the world. I have that Everlast song running through my head."God forbid you have to walk a mile in their shoes then you might really know what its like to sing the blues." If you haven't been their its real easy to pass judgement.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

I don't feel any sympathy for them.

You're probably not a very nice human being.

That depends. Maybe his life is tough too.

You know, some people steal to make sure they have food on the table. Like Banksters.

Others believe that one must be completly honest, they usually end up on the streets.

Too much pride. That's what you learn on the street. Humility.

So, it's good for the soul. Although it involves lots of suffering. The soul of that man is richer than many who have fancy clothes and a place to rest their head.

He has seen the other side of life. The other side of people. And much of his illusion about mankind is being washed away.

He may not have material things, but he has experiences that most of us could never dream about.

According to the Buddha, everyone goes through this "homeless state" sometime in their many lifetimes. So, don't look down on the bum today, because tomorrow it could be you.

We are not in control of our destiny. Sometimes we have control, and sometimes we don't.

We can see this in every life. When we're just a baby, we have no control over the decisions made about our life. And when we're again old and infirm we have no control again. Somewhere inbetween, we reach our peak, where we can shape our destiny. But, it's a fleeting time.

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.

-- John 21:18

So, enjoy the delusion, that you are in control, in the days when your "will" matters.

edit on 26-5-2013 by SQUEALER because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FirstCasualty

Originally posted by MidnightTide
I love these types of threads, always brings out the moral saint squad.

Well, why are you even here, shouldn't you all be out helping the unfortunate? I will support giving those who work hard a helping hand, but that is it.

Now back to your moral superior pat each other on the back thread.

I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a moment to appreciate someones hardships and how easily it could happen to anyone including yourself and the ones you love.

Thats a big sandwich you got there, maybe you could drop a crumb or two today and thank this thread for giving you the push.

oh noz! it's all hiz!

especially when it's the illegally fished tuna from somalia
people there are called pirates and killed for that tuna
[the chickens will be coming to roost soon given all the toxic and nuclear waste being dumped in those waters ]

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Hows life in the Ivory tower?

So naive to think it could never be taken from you, that you are some how immune to the unforseen.

I ain't here to judge you any more than I already have.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConstantConfusion3

I COULD afford my children! You are not the ONLY one who busted their rump going to school and working forever. I didn't go to clubs, or buy clothes, or eat out, or splurge on anything! I got HURT! All your sacrifices, all your schooling and all your saving wont save you if YOU get hurt, or get cancer. No amount of arguement will effect you at this point. Its useless. You will learn on your own, eventually, as most people these days do. I wonder with an attitude like yours, when you fall off of your horse, will anyone be there to help YOU?

Well if you'd read the entire thread you will have seen where I stated that people who do get serious injuries or diseases should be taken care of.

That is unavoidable and not there fault.

The person that has 5 kids by the time they are 25 and then suddenly finds themself on the street I have no sympathy for.

I would yank their children, make them wards of the State, then hope they take the necessary steps to get their children back.

I would not enable them however.

Yeah! That's the ticket! Dump the children into the system and perpetuate the cycle. We all know how well growing up in the system works. Then you can complain about what a strain it is on tax payers having the state care for these children. A very viscous cycle indeed!

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I read your full post the first time. I disagree. I think everyone should have the chance to survive and thrive. I have met people who have pulled themselves out because someone cared enough to not give up on them. No matter how many times they slipped. A lot of times when dealing with addiction people fall off the wagon multiple times but go on to do good for themselves and others. You never know who might change the world. I have that Everlast song running through my head."God forbid you have to walk a mile in their shoes then you might really know what its like to sing the blues." If you haven't been their its real easy to pass judgement.

Then we can agree to disagree..

I would rather spend my time/resources/money/whatever trying to help that family/person that is spending their first night on the streets or just had real life screw them over vs that drunk\drug user who has been thrown out of a homeless shelter and arrested multiple times. At a certain point people that constantly make bad choices in life are responsible for their own actions.

I think everyone deserves a second chance but I also think people that consistently make the wrong choice should not get a free ride forever.

Whatever song lyric makes you feel good.. I am not preaching or claiming to be holy than though or living in an ivory tower so stop trying to make it look like I am.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMagus

Originally posted by FirstCasualty

I love these types of threads, always brings out the moral saint squad.

Well, why are you even here, shouldn't you all be out helping the unfortunate? I will support giving those who work hard a helping hand, but that is it.

Now back to your moral superior pat each other on the back thread.

I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a moment to appreciate someones hardships and how easily it could happen to anyone including yourself and the ones you love.

Thats a big sandwich you got there, maybe you could drop a crumb or two today and thank this thread for giving you the push.

oh noz! it's all hiz!

especially when it's the illegally fished tuna from somalia
people there are called pirates and killed for that tuna
[the chickens will be coming to roost soon given all the toxic and nuclear waste being dumped in those waters ]

Oh yes, the chickens will be coming to roost when those who take outweigh those who put in. I know some of you can't get past the "EVIL ELITE" living on high, but fail to consider that taking care of everyone is an impossibility.

and yes, I earned everything I have, I came from nothing and I worked my ass off for it - and I don't feel a bit guilty about it either.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Well Hopechest you obviously keep that chest locked up pretty well sweety. I just want to say that none of us knew who we would be or what the parameters of our lives would be.... including but not limited to the family we would be born into the mental/psychological propensities/potential we would possess or any other of a myriad of variables. We were slapped on the ass by the doctor and who we are and are not would unfold to us over the yrs ahead. None of us can safely say what someone else is capable of. The wiser path imo is to always give the benefit of the doubt. I'm glad for you that you have it together so well. You are among the fortunate/unfortunate few on the earth that are fully functional. Just remember that Lucifer if you believe in such a one... was perfect in the day he was created. But he had to fall to realize that he could not take credit for it...he had to become weak like a man in order to appreciate others again and realize that he "posessed" nothing.

Harry

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Most of the homeless people are there because of poor decisions they decided to make in their lives. Many are alcohol and drug abuse victims, but it was still their choice to partake in that.

I have little sympathy for them because they chose to give up.

Really? Most? And what scientific studies can you show us to back this claim up? Let me give you some real facts.

individuals identified as chronically homeless (6.8%) and Veterans (7.2%). The size of the chronic homeless population decreased from 107,148 in 2011 to 99,894 in 2012. The size of the Veteran homeless population decreased from 67,495 in 2011 to 62,619 in 2012.

The national rate of homelessness was 20 homeless people per 10,000 people in the general population. The rate for Veterans was 29 homeless Veterans per 10,000 Veterans in the general population

Think about that for a moment.

I would also like to add that I have been homeless.... and it had nothing to do with MY choices, drugs or alcohol.
edit on 26-5-2013 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Hopechest you are a dream boat.... If you ever find yourself homeless and need somewhere to stay I would be happy to provide you with a big box, blankets and food. You can live in my garden too.. But you will have to wear a gnome hat for being so uncompassionate to other beings that are on the same journey through life as you...

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
d/p

edit on 26-5-2013 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA

Then we can agree to disagree..

I would rather spend my time/resources/money/whatever trying to help that family/person that is spending their first night on the streets or just had real life screw them over vs that drunk\drug user who has been thrown out of a homeless shelter and arrested multiple times. At a certain point people that constantly make bad choices in life are responsible for their own actions.

I think everyone deserves a second chance but I also think people that consistently make the wrong choice should not get a free ride forever.

Whatever song lyric makes you feel good.. I am not preaching or claiming to be holy than though or living in an ivory tower so stop trying to make it look like I am.

Second time today someone has claimed I am making them look "bad". Ill tell you the same thing I told them. I don't post for you. You expressed your opinion and painted your own picture. Don't blame me for your thoughts and beliefs.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

The U.S.A. has over 50,000,000 people on foodstamps and other
government programs.There are NO JOBS out there for american
citizens.What jobs are available costs businesses too much to hire
americans.Illegals and immigrants fill these jobs because they can be
paid cheaper wages without any benefits.

Bottomline...Be very careful how you treat others,one day you could
wake up and find yourself in their situation,jobless,homeless and begging
for handouts.

That is one of the biggest copouts I have ever heard.

There are plenty of jobs out there, the problem is that many people refuse to do certain work. If the pay is low than go out and get 3 of them, improve your skillset, and start moving up to better jobs.

You are excusing people for being lazy.

Plenty of jobs huh? You mean like McDonald's? If these people have children how will they pay for the child care when they are at work? Have you seen the cost of child care lately? And the story is all the same for the homeless is nothing but BS. What about all the people who lost their homes due to the banks that stole their homes? What about our military members who come home only to find that their benefits have been cut and are unable work due to their injuries?

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

I don't feel any sympathy for them.

Is that because you hold the moral high ground?

Has nothing to do with morals. It has to do with making proper decisions in your life.

If I lost my job or came down with a serious illness I would be ok because I've prepared for it. I haven't gone out and bought a new car or even a cell phone because I choose to put that money into savings and buy a healthcare plan.

If you live on the edge you may find yourself pushed over it.

I can promise you at some point in the future something will happen that's outside your control (hurricane, tornado, economic collapse - ala cyprus, war). When that disaster blows through, destroys your home, wipes you out, and you find yourself completely at the mercy of others.

That will be the day you realize you were wrong.

When that day comes. I'll gladly offer you a few bucks to help you back on your feet.

God bless.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

and yes, I earned everything I have, I came from nothing and I worked my ass off for it - and I don't feel a bit guilty about it either.

ROFL!
and no doubt you spend many sleepless nights

in terror of losing it all,

your money can be made worthless by the merest whim of it's true owners
for all your efforts, you remain their serf, differentiated merely by the amount of crumbs from their table
that you've managed to scrounge up.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMagus

ROFL!
and no doubt you spend many sleepless nights

in terror of losing it all,

your money can be made worthless by the merest whim of it's true owners
for all your efforts, you remain their serf, differentiated merely by the amount of crumbs from their table
that you've managed to scrounge up.

I love it how so many of you on here seem to think you know me. You don't know what I have, and what I am prepared for. I sleep quite soundly, thanks for worrying though.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Interesting debate.
I've read through this thread.
One person stood out as,well,interesting.
HopeChest,ya know,i wish you continued success and luck in life.
I hope you never have to experience what is to be in these peoples situation.

This new generation Me attitude,that seems to be growing in this society is sad.
People are so self obsorbed.
Its all about me me me,and if someone else is struggling,well better them than me,right?
Or it must be there fault,cause of something they did or didnt do.

Humanity is all but lost,as few care about being human.
I hear alot about government this and that.
Honestly,screw em.
Theres nothing that we people,as a whole,cant fix.
We can help others out.
If we would all choose to.

Just my 2 cents.
Ending this reply,I would hope everyone on here the best.
And from time to time,stop and help someone out.
~Cheers~

Afterall...

edit on 26-5-2013 by Black_Fox because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join