Homeless man called a bum, maybe this will change your perspective

page: 4
91
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join
+6 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide
 



Originally posted by MidnightTide
Problem is so many of you think every homeless individual wants to help themselves, ...Why go out and work your ass off when it is much more easy to stay at home and collect all the free stuff.


Uh... if they're HOMELESS they don't stay at HOME and collect free stuff! They don't have a home to stay in. They don't have a mailbox or phone or transportation or ANYTHING but the clothes on their backs. That's kind of the point.




posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Lets dispense with the term "homeless". Its derogatory. Like calling black people "_______". All of us live on planet earth. This is our home.

If you want to classify people that don't slave to a job in order to pay rent, utilities, and own a car, then call them free.

Not free from responsibility, free from slavery. Slavery to the system.

Not lazy, "homeless" work every day to stay warm, find food and a place to bed down. Those things are secured for you. They have to secure it every day. They don't get a weekend "off" or any vacation.

Not less than... since they aren't slaves, use less resources, and are free to live they way they want.

Homeless people aren't asking for any help. Maybe some spare change. Is that so much to ask? If you can't kick down a buck or two out of the thousands you scrooge the problem is you, not them.

To be fair there are those people that have drug problems. They are the ones you mostly see, panhandling, or standing on roadsides with "help" signs. Its because they can't wait all day to earn, they need quick money for a fix, usually Heroin. If you want to help them hand them a flashlight, wool cap or poncho. They can't buy drugs with that and they will be grateful.

Other people who live outdoors you never see, they are busy gathering a few pounds of cans or plastic bottles (that you threw away) just to buy enough to survive on. What, you believe people can't be satisfied with less? From their point of view, you are all greedy to want so much stuff and money, racing around all day in your shiny car to buy a CD or go to Taco Bell. You are the wasteful ones, the busy, ambitious armies sucking up all the worlds resources and still aren't satisfied.

If you want to "better" yourself, give everything you have to the poor and go hang with them under a bridge. You can come back out when you are no longer afraid that you don't have a dollar to your name.

My bet is you won't, thats too scary for you. Now, who's braver and happier?
.



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Most of the homeless people are there because of poor decisions they decided to make in their lives. Many are alcohol and drug abuse victims, but it was still their choice to partake in that.

I have little sympathy for them because they chose to give up.


To me you sound like you have no sympathy for anyone, homeless or not.
You can't tell me in this economy and society is all because of poor decisions and drug addiction.

This man in the video hasn't given up. He is trying to survive...Literally.
Many people are laid off from work...no fault of their own. They lose their entire livelihood, homes, cars and families.

Oh I know, maybe if we had a PURGE night you could just go burn down all the cities that they live in...you cant tell me you have never said that!



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Do you believe some people could find themselves on the street and dig themselves out of the hole through hard work and motivation?


Yes, if one has a little luck.


If one person could do it than anyone could.


BS. The economy sucks. Once you're down it's damn near impossible to scrape your way out of it without help... and a little luck.


I've seen people fall on hard times and end up on the street and make it out...I've seen others in the exact same situation give up and turn to drugs and alcohol.


Uh huh and when one becomes homeless who decides which will become which? You?



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by Hopechest
That is one of the biggest copouts I have ever heard.

There are plenty of jobs out there, the problem is that many people refuse to do certain work. If the pay is low than go out and get 3 of them, improve your skillset, and start moving up to better jobs.

You are excusing people for being lazy.


Can you tell me how someone would have the time to improve themselves when they have to work 3 jobs? And how do they get any jobs in the first place? Like buddy said, "How can I leave a number, I don't have a home?"


Exactly. Try finding one job period - one that will even give you enough hours to get anywhere. Next - try finding three jobs that will work out schedule-wise with each other



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

Homeless people aren't asking for any help. Maybe some spare change. Is that so much to ask? If you can't kick down a buck or two out of the thousands you scrooge the problem is you, not them.
.


That is part of the problem..Many or some homeless people aren't asking for or willing to accept help but they are willing to accept the hard earned money of others ..Some of those people will go get a precious piece of food so they can battle for another day.. If I knew who those people were I would help them out each and every time.

Just as many will take any money they are given and go get liquor or drugs.

Please keep thinking that their is some grand level of freedom in being on the street since you don't like the term homeless.



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

Originally posted by Hopechest
Most of the homeless people are there because of poor decisions they decided to make in their lives. Many are alcohol and drug abuse victims, but it was still their choice to partake in that.

I have little sympathy for them because they chose to give up.


To me you sound like you have no sympathy for anyone, homeless or not.
You can't tell me in this economy and society is all because of poor decisions and drug addiction.

This man in the video hasn't given up. He is trying to survive...Literally.
Many people are laid off from work...no fault of their own. They lose their entire livelihood, homes, cars and families.

Oh I know, maybe if we had a PURGE night you could just go burn down all the cities that they live in...you cant tell me you have never said that!


If your buying homes and cars and don't realize that losing your job will put you on the street than frankly your an idiot.

Perhaps you should live cheaply and save your money instead of buying those things.



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   


Uh huh and when one becomes homeless who decides which will become which? You?


The individual decides that for themselves.

That is the difference.


+9 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest





Many in this thread believe all homeless people should be helped and I say some don't deserve it. Some need to be kicked in the back while you stroll by them and hopefully knock some commonsense into them so they get motivated to get out of their situation.


"Kicked in the Back" I wonder what in your life prompted such a violent and bitter response to your fellow man.

I guess I need to show some compassion for you; something just isn't quite right.
edit on 26-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest
 



I haven't had a helping hand since I turned 18....


Where would you be without your foot in the door?


It takes alot of mistakes to learn to live within one's own means, unless their parents can successfully instill it before-hand, but kids naturally rebel. It's a catch-22 ain't it?

Having a mattress to fall back on from the get-go perverts one's perspective of an economically controlled reality?

The grass is the same on both sides of the fence; (be it paid-for or stolen) it's meant for sustenance.

Sorry to be picking on you. I will refrain hence-forth.



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest



Uh huh and when one becomes homeless who decides which will become which? You?


The individual decides that for themselves.

That is the difference.


Do they? They chose to be homeless with no means of income? What do they do then? Tell a hotel that you'll give them an IOU? Hey, that might work. Hotels have phones. You could leave a number with prospective employers and such. Oh, wait. And how long does one fight before saying, "Screw it. It's impossible."?


+4 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
reply to post by Hopechest
 



There are plenty of jobs out there, the problem is that many people refuse to do certain work. If the pay is low than go out and get 3 of them, improve your skillset, and start moving up to better jobs.

You are excusing people for being lazy.


This is without a doubt one of the most ignorant things I've heard anybody say here at ATS in a very long time

Do you even read the news?


Not really, its all biased.

You should never trust what the MSM is telling you....first rule of ATS


Any credibility you might have had - you just lost

In the end Hope (misnomer if I ever heard one) I still have sympathy for you

And maybe the wizard will give you a heart


+1 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA
 



Originally posted by opethPA
Some of those people will go get a precious piece of food so they can battle for another day.. If I knew who those people were I would help them out each and every time.


If this is true, then you'll do what I do. Stop and ask, "Have you eaten today"? If they say no, I say, "I'll be right back.". Then I go into the grocery story and buy water, a few apples, a prepared sandwich and a bag of chips and return it to them. EVERY single person I've done that for has been SO appreciative and they can't believe I did it.

If you don't want to give them money, don't. I've bought clothes and shoes for homeless people around here in the winter. Not one has ever turned them down.
edit on 5/26/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by opethPA
 



Originally posted by opethPA
Some of those people will go get a precious piece of food so they can battle for another day.. If I knew who those people were I would help them out each and every time.


If this is true, then you'll do what I do. Stop and ask, "Have you eaten today"? If they say no, I say, "I'll be right back.". Then I go into the grocery story and buy water, a few apples, a prepared sandwich and a bag of chips and return it to them. EVERY single person I've done that for has been SO appreciative and they can't believe I did it.

If you don't want to give them money, don't. I've bought clothes and shoes for homeless people around here in the winter. Not one has ever turned them down.
edit on 5/26/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)


I should have filmed the homeless person that other day that was given free food , threw it down and said something to the effect of the" I dont want this banana , give me cash" then pushed the person helping them and stomped off.. Maybe i should film that homeless guy near where I work that asks for $1 for a cigarette, $5 for beer or $10 for weed.

Sorry..Being homeless does not mean you are honorable and beyond reproach.



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Originally posted by Starwise

Originally posted by Hopechest
Most of the homeless people are there because of poor decisions they decided to make in their lives. Many are alcohol and drug abuse victims, but it was still their choice to partake in that.

I have little sympathy for them because they chose to give up.


To me you sound like you have no sympathy for anyone, homeless or not.
You can't tell me in this economy and society is all because of poor decisions and drug addiction.

This man in the video hasn't given up. He is trying to survive...Literally.
Many people are laid off from work...no fault of their own. They lose their entire livelihood, homes, cars and families.

Oh I know, maybe if we had a PURGE night you could just go burn down all the cities that they live in...you cant tell me you have never said that!


If your buying homes and cars and don't realize that losing your job will put you on the street than frankly your an idiot.

Perhaps you should live cheaply and save your money instead of buying those things.


Live cheaply!!!!????? Are you on the same planet as the rest of us? Sounds like according to you we should all live in empty homes counting our pennies, I'd rather live on the edge thanks, that way I at least know I'm alive.



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA
I should have filmed the homeless person that other day that was given free food , threw it down and said something to the effect of the" I dont want this banana , give me cash" then pushed the person helping them and stomped off.. Maybe i should film that homeless guy near where I work that asks for $1 for a cigarette, $5 for beer or $10 for weed.


I always find it amazing that when something can not be refuted here that a member just happens to have had a recent experience that backs up what one one says.



Sorry..Being homeless does not mean you are honorable and beyond reproach.


It doesn't mean you're less than human either.



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by opethPA
I should have filmed the homeless person that other day that was given free food , threw it down and said something to the effect of the" I dont want this banana , give me cash" then pushed the person helping them and stomped off.. Maybe i should film that homeless guy near where I work that asks for $1 for a cigarette, $5 for beer or $10 for weed.


I always find it amazing that when something can not be refuted here that a member just happens to have had a recent experience that backs up what one one says.



Sorry..Being homeless does not mean you are honorable and beyond reproach.


It doesn't mean you're less than human either.


Come to Philly.. Ill give you the exact location where you can see this happen.. It is right near City Hall and It's the same homeless person that has done it multiple times.

Yup being homeless does not mean you are less than human. Choosing to be a drunk , drug user or steal from stores has consequences though and being homeless doesn't mean you be excused from those consequences.

Before everyone gets their "homeless is true freedom" panties in a bunch..I 100% believe every homeless person should get a second chance.. Housing, assistance, treatment, training, a chance at a job , medical care... I believe every homeless person should get that chance one time. Bad things happen to good people. Like someone in this thread said they suffered some injury that has negatively impacted their life. That happens and it sucks and I am sorry when it does.

The person that throws that out the door and would rather get drunk or do drugs ..that is their choice and is not my responsible to try and help\save them after they have turned down that assistance once or multiple times.



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA
 



Come to Philly.. Ill give you the exact location where you can see this happen.. It is right near City Hall and It's the same homeless person that has done it multiple times.


So? What does this have to do with anything - this one guy?

Do you have any idea how many homeless there are - how many are getting nearer to homelessness? They keep talking about how the economy is turning around, but the past 4 years have kicked the crap out of a lot of people's lives - they won't be able to hold out for the recovery (assuming there really is one) - there are new people on the streets every day

You want to use a handful of examples to justify - what? This isn't a real problem? This isn't something we should care about?

I don't get it - what's your point - you're mad because some guy didn't want a banana?


+13 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Working homeless here. Not crazy . Not drunk.

all questions answered.

Hopechest, I just read the first 2 pages. You sir are a sick person going by what I've read.

The fact im homeless and still give money to those less fortunate should show you something about humanity that for some reason you have missed.

Ill blame it on bad parenting.



posted on May, 26 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
reply to post by opethPA
 



Come to Philly.. Ill give you the exact location where you can see this happen.. It is right near City Hall and It's the same homeless person that has done it multiple times.


So? What does this have to do with anything - this one guy?

Do you have any idea how many homeless there are - how many are getting nearer to homelessness? They keep talking about how the economy is turning around, but the past 4 years have kicked the crap out of a lot of people's lives - they won't be able to hold out for the recovery (assuming there really is one) - there are new people on the streets every day

You want to use a handful of examples to justify - what? This isn't a real problem? This isn't something we should care about?

I don't get it - what's your point - you're mad because some guy didn't want a banana?



My point is that being homeless isn't something wonderful, something that should be romanticized and praised like some people do here.

if you go back and read what I have said all my posts have said good people have bad things happen to them..those people should have some way to get help. The people that consistently and repeatedly choose to drink , do drugs or turn down treatment though are responsible for the consequences of their actions.





top topics
 
91
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join