It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Scouts to Admit Openly Gay Youths

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Now you are being ridiculous. Everyone has sinned. Homosexuals live a lifestyle of sin. Their life itself is sin. God forgives sin, but there is no forgiveness until that sinful lifestyle is walked away from.
Why would a seal fur trader wish to join PETA? It makes no sense. His very lifestyle is in direct contradiction to PETA's values. Same as an actively homosexual person wishing to join BSA. Makes no sense.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

My dear sir/madam, you are bigoted. You would seek to shut down any practises, even those that have no impact on you, and are none of your business, carried out by people who'see sexual practises are not your own.

Ironically, the word bigot comes from the words "By god!" an exclamation, and therefore a blasphemy, and more ironically, bigotry is a sin.

Luk 18:10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a tax-collector.
Luk 18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed within himself in this way: God, I thank You that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax-collector.
Luk 18:12 I fast twice on the Sabbath, I give tithes of all that I possess.
Luk 18:13 And standing afar off, the tax-collector would not even lift up his eyes to Heaven, but struck on his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner!
Luk 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself shall be abased, and he who humbles himself shall be exalted.

I think someone is too worried about what someone else is doing, but not paying enough attention to what they themselves are doing...

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

Thank goodness. I was a bit baffled there. Essentially I think there should be equality all around. It's not a gay issue to me. It's an dialogue issue to me more than anything.

Parents have a right to feel how they feel and I get it. I don't always agree just like I do not always agree with people pulling the gay card or civil rights card all the time.

But to rule someone out for there sexual orientation is just not on par with me and this is coming from a very conservative minded person. I have no clue how you wonderful folks on both sides of this issue manage. I would pull my hair out.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice
reply to post by kaylaluv

Now you are being ridiculous. Everyone has sinned. Homosexuals live a lifestyle of sin. Their life itself is sin. God forgives sin, but there is no forgiveness until that sinful lifestyle is walked away from.
Why would a seal fur trader wish to join PETA? It makes no sense. His very lifestyle is in direct contradiction to PETA's values. Same as an actively homosexual person wishing to join BSA. Makes no sense.

What if they are 15 years old, and they know they are gay, but haven't had sex with anyone yet? How do you know that the 15 year old heterosexual boy hasn't had sex yet? Is that really on the application to be a Boy Scout? "Have you had sex yet?" Brother.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Flint2011

But it's not religious bigotry. It's not like Christians are trying to force their way into membership of NAMBLA or GLAAD, they are simply trying to enforce their own private values and their right to do so. But homosexuals are screaming with a loud voice "you no longer have the right to a private group with your own values, you must conform to our way of thinking"
That is not religious bigotry

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Maybe if you are a Christian but what about those of us who are not? I have no issues with religion at al but I have no belief in it either. So now you speak for me? Everyone should be treated the same. One man's sin is another man's love and so forth.

But it's good that you are engaging and discussing. I don't think your hateful for what you believe but the world is not as the Bible states it to be. It's the 21st century and social standards are different. The hard part I think for everyone no matter what they believe is striking a balance of understanding, tolerance and acceptance of those differences and moving forward as one. No one should have to conform. But to survive in this society we must learn to compromise in principal while not compromising our beliefs whatever they are.
edit on 5-29-2013 by Flint2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I think I am paying attention to my morals and values that differ from yours and because of that I'm the bigot. You people are telling us Christians that you are right and we are wrong and we are the bigots here? I don't think so.
Tell me, why do we no longer have the right to our private Christian group with our own value set?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Flint2011

Religious teachings are archaic, there is most likely nothing left that is either a literal translation from original text, or even part of the religious story.
I'm not gay, and if I was, I still wouldn't be worried, because no-one else gets to dictate who I am, or what I can do, and if they do, that doesn't reflect poorly upon me, but upon those who would seek to oppress me and others like me.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I am not saying it is. But most do see it that way. I was speaking in general. For many it's about there beliefs and not just the BOA. You make valid points for sure and I get it. It bleeds into the culture that is BOA though.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Tell me, why do we no longer have the right to our private Christian group with our own value set?

You do still have the right to your private Christian group with your own value set. The BSA just decided to change the values. If you don't like them, you can do exactly what those of us that have been petitioning the BSA to change have done and start the good fight.

Or you can walk away.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, if you believe you're right and I'm wrong, that's fair enough. All I'm saying is, you're being bigoted for seeking to deny someone the same rights as anyone else just because of their sexual orientation, which doesn't effect you in the slightest.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Who is denying them rights? Who ever said that it is a RIGHT to join a private group? Is it my right to join a private fraternity? Is it your right to just join my family and declare yourself a member? I know the last was a bit ridiculous but I'm illustrating a point. It's no ones right to join a private group.
Just sayin....

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by drivers1492

Originally posted by drivers1492
What is the difference if a kid that is attracted to the same sex being put in the same situation.

It's not different. If she hasn't taught her 12-year-old to respect other people, and the rules of his organization, then maybe she should pull him out.

Also, as I said in my last post, he is exposed to girls everywhere. Does she have any reason to believe that his exposure to these girls are causing any kind of sexual issues in his life?
edit on 5/26/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

Being exposed to girls and spending multiple nights in shared tents are two different levels of temptation.

God Bless,

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

It's no ones right to join a private group.

Actually, it is everyone's right to join whichever private group that will allow them entrance.

If you want to start an organization that keeps out the gays, that is also your right.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MuzzleBreak

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by MuzzleBreak

So long as they do not allow homosexual scout masters, shouldn't be a problem.

Most pedophiles live their lives as heterosexuals, i.e., many of them are married with children of their own. All they would need to do is follow the same screening criteria for homosexual scout masters as they do for heterosexual scout masters.

Most people are not homosexuals. Allowing homosexual scoutmasters would be tantamount to allowing heterosexual 15 yo males to be scout masters for 12 year-old girl-scouts. It would be idiocy. If it happens, scouting is doomed.

Scouting is already doomed. No decent parent who cares about their sons would allow them to join the gay scouts.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

Thanks, I honestly had no idea that they existed.

Then it really begs the question, why the uproar over the BSA policy?

...Religion.

The choice to "scout" in a non-religious based private orginization (FIRE) allowing for males and females of all sexuality has existed for over 100 years. Why force the only "scout" orginization that is religious to go directly against their religious doctrine in policy, if your attack wasn't based on religious intollerance specifically.

God Bless,

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElohimJD

Originally posted by 200Plus
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

Thanks, I honestly had no idea that they existed.

Then it really begs the question, why the uproar over the BSA policy?

...Religion.

The choice to "scout" in a non-religious based private orginization (FIRE) allowing for males and females of all sexuality has existed for over 100 years. Why force the only "scout" orginization that is religious to go directly against their religious doctrine in policy, if your attack wasn't based on religious intollerance specifically.

God Bless,

Here is this word again.. 'force'.

No one forced the BSA to lift their ban. It was tried, and the Surpreme Court upheld their First Amendment rights. The BSA decided to lift the ban. The morality of the organization has changed, though it is still clearly a religious organization.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ElohimJD

The BSA is not now. nor has it ever been a christian organization. It does not strive to build better christians it strives to build better CITIZENS. Many religious groups have sponsored Scout groups and then bastardized the program to champion their cause, but Baden-Powell spins in his grave every time it happens! Of the five Scout groups in my town ONE is church affiliated. The other four are chartered by the Lions, the Rotary club, a lumber mill and a car dealership.

I have been a Scout leader for more than 18 years now and I really wish christians would stop trying to change the BSA to reflect their own prejudiced values. All five of my children have been involved in Scouts for most of their lives, and if I had more children they would still be members with gay children in the group. If you want to have a christian camping group, feel free but stop trying to hijack the BSA.

And, yes, I AM a christian. That enables me to see the hypocrisy more clearly.
edit on 5/29/2013 by Montana because: Sigh, it's Juliett Gordon with GSA

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I've come to this topic quite late so haven't had a chance to read all responses. My personal opinion? Good on them, a sound and just forward thinking decision and a decision that brings us all closer to absolute equality. I personally salute you Boy Scouts of America!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

BSA is a religious organization as evidenced by their slogans and mottos.

A Scout is reverent. He is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties and respects the convictions of others in matters of custom and religion.

A religious organization can be a multi-denomination religious organization, but it clearly falls under the title and legal protections of a religious organization.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join