reply to post by collietta
From the OP’s source;
To permit States to require that any food, beverage, or other edible product offered for sale have a label on indicating that the food, beverage,
or other edible product contains a genetically engineered ingredient.
The way I understand this it would have given States permission to label GMO products. Now that the amendment has failed it does not mean that this
same act of labeling is forbidden. I don’t think this failure is a big deal since it would not have required GMO labeling nor does it forbid it.
Maria Cantwell and Patty Murray from Washington State voted Yea
on this amendment so I hope that means they both support Washington’s
labeling initiative (I-522).
I am in support of I-522 and have been surprised at the number of reasonably intelligent people that are ignorant to GMO products and the
implications present in this controversy. Washington’s grain export is affected by GMOs simply because they are not labeled and many countries do
not import GMO products.
The arguments against this initiative have been that there is no evidence that these products are harmful to consumers yet in the same breath they
discount evidence from the studies that have reported harmful results. These studies either have been done or they have not, it’s dishonest to claim
in the negative both ways.
There is also the claim that labeling already exists yet this is not accurate. Organic labeling, although regulated, does not focus on GMOs.
Furthermore, farms that are organic often unintentionally have a percentage of their crops cross pollinated by GM crops from neighboring farms yet if
the farmer is unaware that this is happening he can still legally claim his produce to be organic. How can one prove that planted organic seeds have
not become GM crops through cross pollination? USDA Certified Organic labeling claims that 95% of these products must be organic leaving 5% for
possible contamination. Source
The problem here is with cross pollination and the inability to positively identify GM produce.
Organic farming in Washington State is the fastest growing industry here and it is at risk from GMO contamination.
Washington’s multimillion dollar grain export industry is also at risk due to the ambiguity of GMO crop contamination. Many countries will not
import grain that does contain, or might contain, GMO.
Washington’s heath concerns are ignored when there is no requirement for labeling. How are we to know for sure that our organic food is 100% GMO
free without a required label?
There is also a claim by GMO labeling opponents that the corporation’s right to free speech is violated by required labeling. This claim really
Do corporations even have such rights?
Is there even a free speech right to choose to not disclose a truth?
Why fight so hard to hide the truth if GMOs are safe?
What about my rights to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness? Are they less important than Monsanto’s?
How am I to make an informed decision regarding my health without proper information?
The fight for GMO labeling is up to each induvidual state since the Federal Government appears to not want to get involved. If you want labeling then
it is up to each of us to get involved and be informed.