It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Passes 'Merry Christmas' Bill to Protect Holidays

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I am not offended. We are a secular government. I support separation of church and state 100%.

How is Labor Day a specific god belief?

And before anyone goes loony about me attacking religion -- separation of church and state is specific to government. It has nothing to do with personal belief or religious freedom.

Christmas has been a recognized federal holiday since 1870. Why should we change it now? Why should we as a nation cater to the whims of the minority opinion? The answer is – WE SHOULDN’T and the courts agree. Furthermore, the court ruled that Christmas is not a religious holiday.

This suit was filed in United States federal court in Cincinnati in 1998. Richard Ganulin challenged Christmas as a federal holiday, arguing that its religious character violates the separation of church and state. Christmas has been an official holiday in the United States since 1870.

U.S. District Judge Susan J. Dlott rejected the challenge in December 1999 with the following verse:

The court will address
Plaintiff's seasonal confusion
Erroneously believing Christmas
Merely a religious intrusion.

Whatever the reason
Constitutional or other
Christmas is not
An act of Big Brother!

Christmas is about joy
And giving and sharing
It is about the child within us
It is mostly about caring!

One is never jailed
For not having a tree
For not going to church
For not spreading glee!

The court will uphold
Seemingly contradictory clauses
Decreeing "The Establishment" and "Santa"
Both worthwhile "Claus(es)"!

We are all better for Santa
The Easter Bunny too
And maybe the Great Pumpkin
To name just a few!

An extra day off
Is hardly high treason
It may be spent as you wish
Regardless of reason.

The court having read
The lessons of Lynch1
Refuses to play
The role of the Grinch!2

There is room in this country
And in all our hearts too
For different convictions
And a day off too!
everything2.com...

Her decision was upheld by the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of appeals and in 2001 the SCOTUS dismissed Ganulin's appeal. Looks like you’ll just have to deal with it!

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I'm fully aware of the "3 reindeer rule" .

Christ in Christmas -- but SCOTUS deemed it secular.

Oh well, what's in a word. Kind of like marriage is just a word.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
All you naysayers have no idea what goes on during the holidays now.
It's not grandstanding at all. All the PC idiots crying ..NO MANGER ,NO GREETINGS ,NO HOLIDAY CLOTHING IN SCHOOLS etc etc etc ,are the ones grandstanding .
Those traditions are a century old,and suddenly they're offensive . Give me a break .

I'm thinking Texas is the place move.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
What a waste of tax payer money and time. Something these very same people making excuses for this bill complain about every day.

reply to post by PtolemyII

All you naysayers have no idea what goes on during the holidays now.
It's not grandstanding at all. All the PC idiots crying ..NO MANGER ,NO GREETINGS ,NO HOLIDAY CLOTHING IN SCHOOLS

Give us an example of this supposed ban of saying merry Christmas or celebrating Christmas.
edit on 15-6-2013 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
""
State lawmakers in Texas have passed legislation that permits public schools to display (...) Christmas trees, and allows students and school district staff to use greetings such as, “Merry Christmas” (...)
""

If someone reads this, doesn't this sound entirely absurd?

We live in a free society, all right, and they just had to "pass a law" which "permits" to display Christmas trees or use Holiday Greetings?

(Of course I know the background here and why the law passed, but it still reads as something entirely absurd that such a law was even needed).

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

It's not just merry Christmas .
Give me a bit to find all the links,as its more than one state I'm pretty sure . Much of it is in schools .

weaselzippers.us...

www.cbc.ca...

www.dailynews.com...

catholicexchange.com...

chalcedon.edu...

rochesterhomepage.net...

americaswatchtower.com...

latimesblogs.latimes.com...
www.nytimes.com...

edit on 6/16/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

of course, Fox news and a couple of religious websites, way to go to look at both sides of the story eh? Anything beyond rightwing sources? There is no public institution banning people from personally celebrating Christmas, there is no law silencing people from celebrating Christmas. People on the right continue to manufacture outrage over this to push their political and ideological agendas and this is all this is.

How much tax payer money did Perry's administration spend on lobbying and putting through this 'Merry Christmas' Bill? while our public schools continue to be underfunded and families continue to struggle out there? Perry certainly did a good job in not really doing his job at all.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

So you only accept certain types of proof ?
Typical .

GIVE ME PROOF ! OH ,that proof just isn't good enough .

Tut
All of that is made up ?
Including the LA and NY times articles ...well ok ....
You asked for examples . Those are plenty of examples from numerous states andceven Canada . Anyone who watches the news knows Xmas and other religious holiday displays and expressions have been forbidden .
One might wonder why the state of Texas is doing this ,if there's no apparent reason

And may I say ,duuuhhh ....

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Why should we as a nation cater to the whims of the minority opinion?

You should follow the constitution- it is unconstitutional for the government to establish anything religious.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

GIVE ME PROOF ! OH

In none of those examples was there an attempt to ban christmas celebrations. People can celebrate christmas in their own homes, people can say merry christmas. Having a school assembly not officially endorse chrismas does not equate to taking away an individuals ability to celebrate christmas.

Aside for ideological and religious websites that manufacture this outrage almost on a seasonal basis, you have nothing else.

Anyone who watches the news

What news? Fox? Anybody who watches Fox?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join