It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trains collide in Missouri causing overpass to collapse, 7 injured!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

I5? main highway north out of California?

Main crossing across the Mississippi between St. Louis and Memphis?

I have always assumed in a SHTF scenario, the first thing they would do in my area (Wisconsin) is shut the bridges across the Mississippi River - it would be fairly easy to do. Although, boat traffic across would be fairly easy.

Just saying. Let's see how many other main thoughofares are damaged in the coming weeks.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
As promised here are some photos of the train and what is left of the overpass. They have an army of RI Derailment (if I recall the name right). I got as close as I could (not being a reporter I do not think I could have gotten closer than I did).

You can see on the overpass where the fire broke out due to a fuel leak. Thankfully they were not hauling anything toxic or radio active at this time. Being that this area is sort of a transport hub that is a real worry. From here you can transport on the Mississippi river, the railways, across the river, and of course the interstate. A lot of what could be really bad stuff passed through this area daily.

continued

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I seen license plates for the railroad from as far away as Kentucky.

Again I am no reporter or even a professional photographer. I do sort of like to play photo journalist of southeast Missouri for ATS though

Raist

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
My wife also took some photos. In those it seems at least one of the rail cars was carrying trucks/cars. In the photo of hers you can see two trucks double stacked one white anther burgundy/maroon.

Raist

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
They have the tracks open as of yesterday. The overpass is due to be back up in September. It seems this same thing happened a few years back at the next overpass south of this.

Raist

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Thanks for the onsite pictures. Any local news as to the cause?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Nothing at this time that I have heard as a definite. However, rumor is that both conductors are saying they had a green light. Again this is rumor and you know how that is. Several suspect that one or both of them were asleep.

Also it seems that on one of the tracks the train company goes through rather slow normally in that area while many say the other company goes through at a fast speed. I do not recall which company is said to go through at which speeds and this is also just from speaking to people from that town.

Where the accident occurred though is closer to Chaffee than to Scott City.

Raist

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
While I have not been there yet, I believe this is the coordinates to the overpass that collapsed.

37.204782,-89.640027

If it is, it is the highway between Scott City and Chaffee (I was born in Chaffee when they had a hospital as a side note).

Raist

You were born in Chaffee? So sorry for you...

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Apollumi

It was the closest hospital at the time. Never lived there though

Raist

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
from NTSB Preliminary Report

Event recorder data from the locomotives of both trains, as well as recorded data from the signal system, is being examined to determine train speeds and signal aspects prior to the collision. Initial data review indicates that the UP train was traveling about 49 mph when it struck the side of the BNSF train, which was traveling about 22 mph.

Preliminary data indicates that the BNSF train received a signal indication permitting it to proceed through the interlocking, while the UP train received a stop signal indication at the interlocking. No positive train control system is currently installed at this location.

www.ntsb.gov...

edit on 8/14/2013 by roadgravel because: tag

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join