It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cicero-North Syracuse student suspended after speaking out against failed budget on Twitter

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Good job bringing it here.
Folks in the adult world support this type of action, as sometimes it is only our children who really seem to care enough to actually act.

In any event, you should have him try contacting the ACLU. This is the kind of thing they SHOULD be taking on (and as far as I have seen, they typically do carry these types of cases)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Zedux

A social media riot........... wow.Who sits around and thinks this crap up?
Second

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
That is surprising since its on the national academic agenda. Thank god they still do around here.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I personally think a suspension for a cell phone is a little excessive by itself; similar to police using stun guns and tazers on unarmed, uncombative citizens

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Don't people know twitter is monitored just like facebook? How many more stories do people need to learn not to trust those sites?

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zedux

Cicero-North Syracuse student suspended after speaking out against failed budget on Twitter

www.syracuse.com

Cicero, NY -- Patrick Brown, a senior at Cicero-North Syracuse High School, was suspended Thursday after he posted on Twitter about the district's failed 2013-14 school budget.

Brown, who has never been in trouble with the district before, started a hashtag on Twitter Wednesday to discuss things the district could cut in its budget for next year. The hashtag ##CNSshouldcut became very popular with students who started posting throughout the school day.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Sounds like grounds for a law suit to me!

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elliot
Could it be that 'Free Speech' just like 'democracy' were just myths to keep the sheep contented and unaware? Like Santa claus / Father christmas, they never existed?

or....could it be there is more to the story?....everybody is jumping to a conclusion that does not have all the facts.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CINY8
I live not too far from Syracuse and a close relative is a high school administrator.

I am all for students and citizens being able to speak their own minds and having freedom of speech. However, in this instance he chose to do so in the middle of class, used a cell phone (which is typically not permitted) and was disruptive. This is something that would be grounds for punishment regardless of what he was doing with his cell phone.

Now, if he had chose to start the discussion on social media outside of class and still got suspended, then I would be upset about it. He was suspended for three days, not fully suspended so his punishment.

In the district that I know the person who is an administrator, the code of conduct clearly indicates that cell phone use in class and being disruptive is a cause for suspension. It also indicates that students can fully express their freedom of speech if it is not disruptive to class.

that's bulls**t too....

"you can have your silly freedom of speech...just don't exercise it on our time, or in a way that is inconvenient to us, or embarrassing to us, and don't bother the rest of the dumb eaters with your silly logic and common sense"

fantastic message to drum into the kids....and everyone wonders why nobody speaks out anymore..

EVERY citizen has the DUTY to speak out on issues that matter, or have great consequence to the people, WHENEVER they see such issues...not just when it's convenient, or "allowed".

...this is some sorry crap, right here..
edit on 26-5-2013 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
My sister was kicked off the cheer team here in Texas for her senior year coming up because of retweets and a video she posted with two curse words. She had been voted as cheer captain as well for next year. We intend to show the rules are arbitrary and broad, yet the other cheerleaders and football players, etc. are not held to the same standards. The assistant principle said she had found the tweets and such herself, and that she monitors a lot of it. But then we go and look at the disgusting things other people are posting, yet nothing has happened? She was clearly targeted and discriminated against for whatever personal vendetta the lady has because no one else is held to the same standard lol. She even called my sister into her office and told her even though 14 of 19 votes were for her and her co-captain, she wasn't going to let her have it because she word for word said, "she didn't think she was cheer captain 'material.'". The next day she called our house and wanted to come to our HOME and 'make things right'. She moment she could throw her under the bus the next few weeks she did. The principle had no idea she had said what she did to my sister, based on the meeting my parents had with him.

My sister has had self-esteem issues the last few years too, which the school knows about. High school is these kids world right now, and they get to pick and choose who gets in trouble. Can't tell you many times a football player gets caught f*$@ed up at school on drugs, and they let him sit it off in the office. But of course they can't discuss other students to you! These players have pictures of illegal substances and alcohol on their facebooks and twitters too. it's ridiculous hypocrisy

edit on 26-5-2013 by devinn726 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-5-2013 by devinn726 because: added something and corrected spelling

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth
reply to post by Zedux

It is better to teach the kids at a young age that talking out and sharing the truth will only get you in trouble. That way when they are adults they will just keep there heads down and accept what is given to them. Making waves will only lead to one thing.......more control. It is better just to accept your fate.

As long as everybody wins and no one is getting there feelings hurt all is good.

Sarcasm off.
edit on 25-5-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

Keep your head down? Don't make waves?

You do that and you've given up ALL control over your very life. You sit back and accept your 'fate' and you only give more power and 'control' to those over you, with your blessings.

Don't speak out? Don't share the truth? You'll end up forced to live within the lies of others.

ETA... Opps. Didn't see the 'sarcasm' bit before going off. Still, if you WERE being serious, there's my response.
edit on 26-5-2013 by 2ndthought because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
what ever happened to 'question authority'?

I for one am glad that some kids are getting their nose(s) out of their nintendos and wiis and getting involved in the real world. this should be encouraged, not punished.

caveat; they should not have been doing that during class time, if that's what was happening, but suspension sounds pretty drastic. sending a message maybe?

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Good they should have suspended him, your're not supposed to care about local government, or apply any of the little they teach you to outside causes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join