It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff Joe's office profiles Latinos

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Sheriff Joe's office profiles Latinos

news.yahoo.com

A federal judge has ruled that the office of America's self-proclaimed toughest sheriff systematically singled out Latinos in its trademark immigration patrols, marking the first finding by a court that the agency racially profiles people.

The decision by U.S. District Judge Murray Snow in Phoenix backs up years of allegations from Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's critics who say his officers violate the constitutional rights of Latinos in relying on race in their immigration enforcement.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
No monetary damages--just requires "policy changes".

So now his deputies will have to somehow check Lilly Whites and Clearly Blacks in their searchs for the Mostly Browns that have illegally crossed the border. Guess they'll have to have a quota system to show they're checking isn't "profiling".

Would be nice if the Feds did their job of border protection.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MuzzleBreak
The decision by U.S. District Judge Murray Snow in Phoenix backs up years of allegations from Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's critics who say his officers violate the constitutional rights of Latinos in relying on race in their immigration enforcement.

I have no idea what to make of this.
Are they really saying that when it comes to Mexican illegals, the law isnt allowed to look for ... Mexicans?
That they also have to search a representative number of Scandinavians or Asians or whatever???

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Are they really saying that when it comes to Mexican illegals, the law isnt allowed to look for ... Mexicans?
That they also have to search a representative number of Scandinavians or Asians or whatever???

Yes. That's exactly what they're saying.

The law hasn't kept pace with the reality of the situation.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

This Law was set up to void the reality of the situation.

Profiling works, always has.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

While the IRS was busy profiling Tea Party groups, Sheriff Joe get's spanked for profiling Mexicans for illegal entry.

Oh the irony!

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I have mixed emotions on this issue. I am a 3rd generation Arizonan and half Hispanic. Growing up I rarely heard of illegals. But in the last 10-15 years I can see the problems it causes. I was seeing more bad than good especially with the gangs in the Phoenix Metro Area. I have no problem with someone getting checked out for papers, but after they are checked and are found to be legal they should be left alone. My brother in law is from Mexico and was on a work visa when he met my sister. He waited in Mexico for almost a year to return after they were married once his paper work was in order. He was on his way home one night and was pulled over for almost an hour until they found he was not lying about being a citizen. Then a month later it happened again. Nobody dislikes illegals more than him because he is a US citizen who did it the right way. There is no reason to be stopped for that long just for looking Hispanic and having an accent.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

This Law was set up to void the reality of the situation.

Profiling works, always has.

I agree. "Racially Profiling" is a term the politically correct use to make what works, into a bad thing. Apparently, all you have to do is tell somebody that something is bad.........and they believe it. The only synonym that comes close to the meaning of the word profiling as used in this context, is depicting. So it's wrong to racially depict a person. It's wrong to call it as it is because some people can't handle the truth about the ramifications of the persons ethnicity and legal status. Cry me a river.

People can say what they want about Joe and his faults, and he has quite a few to be honest, but in this case he is just trying to do his job. He may be a bit crude and old fashioned about certain things as well as not being willing to bend to current social and legal norms, but his ways are still very effective. So he makes a few crude comments on company time (Read the article). Give him a break. He's got a lot on his plate.

People are starting to say that this is a blow to his office. Knowing Joe, he'll find a way around this. He typically does. Personally, I think the man needs to retire. He's a little too old fashioned for his own good, but.........he's going to do what he's going to do.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Well thanks for pointing out the obvious, Judge. When there is a LE crackdown on illegal immigration from Mexico who else would they be looking for??

Another ironic thing about this is that he was reprimanded for responding to complaints lobbied by residents. Obama has multiple snitch sites and hotlines for residents to report their neighbors for suspicious activity (not criminal activity...suspicious activity). Why is it OK for federal LE to follow up on cases when your neighbor says you might be a terrorist but its not OK for deputies to respond when your neighbor says you might be an illegal immigrant??

We're never going to fix the immigration problem.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

What you're saying would actually work in a small town like Casa Grande. Your brother-in-law is in the minority of Mexicans who actually go through the process. He would be remembered in a small town, but in Phoenix he's just another face in the crowd and I'm sure you understand why. ICE, INS and the Sheriffs office see too many who are here illegally to reasonably assume that ANY of them are not.

To lighten the situation, tell him to learn German. That will really throw them off.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

That actually sounds like a good idea. He does speak French az well. It would definitely blow their minds.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

A law enforcement officer profiling Latinos in Arizona? Say it aint so...

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

he's not profiling illegal latino's,he's targeting ALL latino's.I think he feels that if all latino's feel harassed,they won't come here.This sheriff has had more legal trouble that the chicago cops of the 60's! Legal fee's alone are more than the sheriff's budget.His son run's the food for the county jails,and his daughter runs the pink clothing for the jails.And his other daughter is a stripper in Vegas!

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by blkcwbyhat

he's not profiling illegal latino's,he's targeting ALL latino's.I think he feels that if all latino's feel harassed,they won't come here.

You said it….that’s what you think not his actual intentions.

This sheriff has had more legal trouble that the chicago cops of the 60's! Legal fee's alone are more than the sheriff's budget.

Chicago was about corruption and organized crime…willful betrayal of the oath to protect and serve. Arpaio is actually protecting and serving the citizens of his county. He’s following a mandate given to him by the people who KEEP ELECTING HIM!

His son run's the food for the county jails,and his daughter runs the pink clothing for the jails.And his other daughter is a stripper in Vegas!

Link please.

Are those things crimes?

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
the POTUS is just using identical tactics (IRS)
AP Reporters, Woodward, Chris Stevens, ...
to get back at Joe cause Joe is on top of obamas birth certificate.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I for whatever reason, do not have a huge problem with this. As long as illegal immigration remains a problem in the U.S., I don't mind extra attention to those who are statistically the majority, in a state which has statistically one of the top highest illegal immigration rates.

I strongly believe, that if I was a legal Latino immigrant living in Arizona, I would not have a problem with being checked. I feel I would understand the suspicion -- it wouldn't affect my personal life, and I wouldn't feel offended.
edit on 25-5-2013 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Joe is the crookedest of the crooked.
It's all about private internment camps who turn
around and charge the Feds (your tax dollars)
and bank mega bucks.

He's the worst, the lowest and I'd love to see him
in a pink jumpsuit watching the Disney channel.
If you don't know what that means look it up.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

I have no idea what to make of this.

STAR!! It is the Mexican border that all of the illegal aliens are coming here from. Being an illegal means you have already broken laws by being here.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by capone1
I for whatever reason, do not have a huge problem with this. As long as illegal immigration remains a problem in the U.S., I don't mind extra attention to those who are statistically the majority, in a state which has statistically one of the top highest illegal immigration rates.

I strongly believe, that if I was a legal Latino immigrant living in Arizona, I would not have a problem with being checked. I feel I would understand the suspicion -- it wouldn't affect my personal life, and I wouldn't feel offended.
edit on 25-5-2013 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

I wouldn't have a problem with it either. Hell, we need to prove our identities for many reasons, being a legal citizen should certaintly be one of them. Most illegals are latinos, common sense tells you to question them.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sealing

just because you are knee deep in BS
does not mean that you have to subject
the rest of us to the same wading scene.

whats wrong did Joe put you or one of yours in jail?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join