It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California wants to treat 'E Cigarettes' like normal cigarettes.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cito
it should all be banned

and im an exsmoker

nicotine was the root cause of my heart attack at age 30, I smoked a little too much and nicotine is a vascular constrictor, it closed up one of the arteries under my heart and triggered a heart attack.

I didn't want to believe it at first but the doctor showed the video to me where they placed 2 stints and my cholesterol was normal but the nicotine had built up and not only acted like cholesterol but it causes veins to constrict.

to me what was the most sickening and I stopped smoking cold turkey with ZERO withdrawals was after he showed me a video of this experiment showing the vascular constrictive properties of nicotine with no additives on the video there's a pig artery in a petri dish looking thing. They add 1 drop of nicotine and the dead pig artery starts to tighten up and it curl like a snake very slowly as it tightens up.

that grossed me out and all want to smoke left me instantly.

I haven't smoked in 7 years. And I'd vote yes in a heart beat to ban it.
legalize marijuana, noone has ever died from marijuana

but ban nicotine outright, blanket ban and burn all tobacco crops and give farmers the money and pay them to swap to cotton/corn/soybeans/peanuts/hemp as their bumper.

Yes Ecigs should be banned and all nicotine devices should be banned

you can't go to store and buy arsenic, strychnine, etc and nicotine should be on that list as pure nicotine is deadlier

What's most poisonous? Arsenic, Strychnine or nicotine?

If you guessed nicotine, you are correct. The lethal dosage for a 150 pound adult is 60 mg. The lethal dosage for strychnine is 75 mg and the lethal dosage for arsenic is 200 mg. In other words, nicotine is three times as toxic as arsenic and one and one half times as toxic as strychnine.

ban it all

Wow, your a pretty sick person!

Because YOU are a weak and got addicted to nicotine, other people have to have THEIR lives controlled by the government?

Ecigs are helping people stop smoking. This is a FACT. Tons and tons of people. These people usually have tried all or many other methods, and ecigs are the only thing that work.

Keep your feelings on chemicals to youself, it's NONE of YOUR business what people decide to put in their bodies.

You might have more fun in Nazi Germany, sir, they seemed to think the same way you do.

This is America, we are a free people, you and anybody else have NO right to control what we consume.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyb0nz
reply to post by marhaba

not a fight about anything guy, just a valid reply, unlike this. This isn't a subject of environmental pollution, it's about e cigs/nicotine vaporized into breathing space in an enclosed area. Nicotine, natural? yes. Adding it to your already built in supply by inhaling, your own personal choice. So I think it should be kept in your personal space and out of the public buildings/areas, same as any controlled substance. People jump on opposing posts in here but have nothing valid but one liners in reply. Aren't there admins for that?

There is a little button labeled 'alert' on each post that you can push any time that you want to bring in a moderator to take action on a post that you suspect breaks T&C's.

Maybe you could post some scientific data from a study that shows how harmful e-cigarettes are to non users in confined spaces.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

thanks but I don't need to flag anyone, I'm not an admin or authority of what anyone is allowed to say. Just replying to their reply. As for facts or sources on the harms, still too new of a subject and I'm not going thru all that work just to have someone reply with a childish one liner. Artificial sweetener is still praised nowadays by some though the research is out there but if you don't want to see it, then you won't care if I post it. I'm not putting down the e cig, it helps for those slave to the cancer stick.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
How dare you smoke an E-cig, while I enjoy my double-bacon cheeseburger as I sit on this synthetic weave volatile gas emitting glued-down carpeting. I might just hop in my New-car smell SUV and go elsewhere. Take THAT, in your attempt to make a compromise!

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I flew from Seattle to New York then from New York to Moscow Russia,let me tell you this,that E-Cig was a life saver!

As far as the debate goes about the E-Cig,Im not a doctor or anything,BUT my doctor was the one who suggested I try the E-Cig to begin with to help me slow down,or at least quit!.

I thought I read an article just earlier this week,where a woman slapped a police officer,so she would get arrested,when asked why she did that she said (something to the effect of) I need to go to jail so I can stop smoking!
(most jails you cant smoke anymore)
Heh,thats always an option.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyb0nz

Might as well you check the result of this study then with regards to 2nd hand vaping -> CSA_ItaEng.pdf

Clearstream Air Study
In December 2011, Aaron Frazier, Director of the Utah Vapers began consulting with FlavourArt in Milan Italy to develop research on the electronic cigarette in ways that had yet to be performed by anyone around the world. It was through this relationship that Clearstream Air was born. The purpose of this study was to identify and quantify the chemicals released on a closed environment from the use of an electronic cigarette.

Study Results
The study has now been completed, peer reviewed and accepted for the 2012 meeting of SRNT in Helsinki. The experiment concludes that within the limits of the observed parameters, has underlined that passive vapor does not produce detectable amounts of toxic and carcinogenic substances in the air of an enclosed space.

edit on 25-5-2013 by marhaba because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by marhaba

HA HA HA, a study performed and peer approved by a vaporizing group. Sure, let's go back to the 80's and listen to tobacco lobbyists while we're at it.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Cito

There are plenty of drugs that are completely legal. Do you drink coffee, tea, or soda? Why is it that nicotine must be banned, yet minors can buy trash like energy drinks? There is not only LESS nicotine delivery with e-cigs, it's ONLY nicotine. Do you know what that means?

The addictive properties of cigarettes is not from nicotine alone, but also from MAOI's found in tobacco smoke.
"Technically, nicotine is not significantly addictive, as nicotine administered alone does not produce significant reinforcing properties. However, after coadministration with an MAOI, such as those found in tobacco, nicotine produces significant behavioral sensitization, a measure of addiction potential.
Tobacco smoke contains the monoamine oxidase inhibitors harman, norharman, anabasine, anatabine, and nornicotine. These compounds significantly decrease MAO activity in smokers. MAO enzymes break down monoaminergic neurotransmitters such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. It is thought that the powerful interaction between the MAOI's and the nicotine is responsible for most of the addictive properties of tobacco smoking."

That means people who switch to e-cigs can quit much easier after using nicotine by itself for a while. Why are ex-smokers like yourself so opposed to people quitting SMOKING? Are you seriously against e-cigs and people living healthier lives because you're jealous they can quit easier than doing it cold-turkey? That's selfish and border-line evil.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyb0nz

Instead of laughing a study done methodically, how about you come up and bring something on the table that the study done was wrong and put some links here too proving it ain't so...

Yeah...*cricket* *cricket* as i thought so...

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BanTv

Most of those who have vaped had even cut down their nicotine level down to none. I've been vaping for 5 months now and i'm down to almost nil nicotine as i always dilute it with vegetable glycerin. My goal is to finally have zero nicotine in it like most of those i know who have quit.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
I don't want more legislation, period. BUT, sitting in a restaurant here in CA recently, 3 men were smoking these things in the restaurant and it bothered me. Bothered me that they found a way around the no smoking law and were basically blowing it in everyone's face.

I know I will probably be lectured for my feelings on this, but it has been nice living without smoke in public places, and i was a smoker and don't mind if people smoke.... outside.

Look, I can understand not wanting someone else's stink near you. Whether it be a fart, someones breath, or strong cologne/perfume.....but it is NOT SMOKE. It's not water vapor either. It's trace amounts (most likely undetectable) of nicotine, propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, and fda approved food flavorings.

It's NOT SMOKE.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by marhaba
reply to post by BanTv

Most of those who have vaped had even cut down their nicotine level down to none. I've been vaping for 5 months now and i'm down to almost nil nicotine as i always dilute it with vegetable glycerin. My goal is to finally have zero nicotine in it like most of those i know who have quit.

Exactly! There are MANY people who have been able to taper down to 0 nicotine with e-cigs. Some people don't want to quit nicotine though, and honestly, no one should be forced to.

What these ignorant zealots don't understand, is...uh...addiction in general. Cigarette addiction changes the brain. If someone is a 20 or 30+ yr smoker, they shouldn't be forced to quit using nicotine. Why? It changes dopamine levels in the brain. For some, quitting might not cause severe depression, but they WILL have lower dopamine levels than they should. So it's unethical for someone who doesn't understand nic addiction to say "just quit or die!".

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BanTv

I've tried both snus and tobacco tea bag but it never helped me. I used to be leery also with the e-cig as the first one i bought was that crap cig-look-a-like until someone introduced me to another gadget and from that time on, i never looked back.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I think the e-cig is crap, you want to breathe something other than air, do it in your own area. Don't add nicotine to my breathing environment, I don't care what carcinogens you "think" aren't present. If I decide to vaporize some crack and blow it into your airspace, you may have some issues with that, but this is ONLY nicotine we're talking about, nothing harmful right? You're inhaling AND exhaling the substance that took me and many others an eternity to quit, fighting still to this day. It's a substance unnecessary for survival and if someone was puffin an e cig near my child I'd have something to say.

This is a ridiculous comment born of ignorance. Add nicotine to your breathing environment? Hardly. Many of these vaporizors do not produce a vapor so thick that very much of anything comes out on exhale. Some use a bit more of the base, so there is more vapor produced-- but the amount of nicotine in the solution is small, and because there isn't much else in the vapor (as opposed to tobbacco smoke) most of this is efficiently absorbed by the lungs of the person vaporizing.

You would literally have to suck the air out of the mouth of the person vaporizing to get any appreciable level of anything. Stop being paranoid and ridiculous.

Vaporize some crack? That sounds a lot like a straw man argument. The two drugs can not be compared.

If I puff an e-cig around you or your child, I double dare you to say something to me, friend. We'll see how that one turns out

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

reply to post by papazen

Not sure a slimy wet substance in your sensitive breathing organ is very good, but I'm no doctor.

Darn straight you're not.

Mucus, while naturally occurring, is very much a slimy wet substance in your "sensitive breathing organ."

Have you ever heard the word "humidity" before?

Now, not being a doctor (and obviously very crap at science in general) you may not have realized that there is water in the air you're breathing right now.. There's lots of other garbage too-- from vehicle exhaust, industrial pollution, etc... but I don't see you complaining about all that gunk.

Learn how to science.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sealing
Yeah well I like oxygen so dont breathe in my space with all
the carbon dioxide your converting.

reply to post by sealing

good one liner, I guess. But once again, just another user posting comments irrelevant to the subject. Couple of spam comedians on a subject someone took time to create.

I'll tell you what, let's go into a nice restaurant after I eat some eggs and beans. We can test our arguments on what we like to be forced to breathe as opposed as to what is natural to the environment. You wouldn't enjoy breathing my fecal rot as I comment "it's perfectly natural and you breathe it everyday". You'd try to plug my anus with your boot in protest.

edit on 25-5-2013 by jimmyb0nz because: needed better explanation to the reply

It may be cute because of its humor content, but that doesn't make it less true. I wouldn't want to breathe too much excess carbon dioxide. And that is, in fact, what you breathe out.

Your comment in the second paragraph shows a lack of understanding of what was meant by sealing's comment-- on top of the fact that your own smart self made a point that is logically inconsistent with your own argument.

Of course no one wants to breathe your gases. Any of them. That notion actually works for my point and against your own. (Learn how to logic.) You expel gasses no one wants to breathe all the time. Maybe you should be made illegal, or taxed, eh?
edit on 25-5-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

reply to post by marhaba

HA HA HA, a study performed and peer approved by a vaporizing group. Sure, let's go back to the 80's and listen to tobacco lobbyists while we're at it.

Do you realize that EVERYTHING that is "FDA approved", is not researched or studied by the FDA? Yeah, if you want your product to be FDA approved, YOU (the company involved) have to spend the millions to study and test it. So everything is suspect if you go by the logic 'but they have a financial interest in the product!'. There are plenty of studies showing e-cigs are safer than cigarettes (duh), and there are studies showing that minimal amounts of nicotine are exhaled. Literally it's more hazardous to your health to be stuck in traffic, than be in a closed room with people using e-cigs. Not only that, but there are studies showing nicotine may decrease the risk of developing alzheimers.

Sure, let's pretend nicotine is why people die from smoking, while little kids get jacked up on red bull and mcdonalds. OH SAVE THE CHILDREN!!!

Oh yeah, there have been long-term studies on the ingredients in e-cigs. The only unknown is the food flavorings. PG is used in asthma inhalers, and look up swedish snus to find out about long-term nicotine use. I'm not doing anyones research for them. Educate yourself or shut up.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by marhaba
reply to post by BanTv

I've tried both snus and tobacco tea bag but it never helped me. I used to be leery also with the e-cig as the first one i bought was that crap cig-look-a-like until someone introduced me to another gadget and from that time on, i never looked back.

There ya go
. That's awesome. Funny enough, snus has the same MAOI's that smoking does. Meaning the nic high is similar, yet a good e-cig helped you quit. The psychological addiction of smoking is so freakin strong. Which is obviously why so many continue to vape 0 nic. I wonder what the ego-trip nazis would say if we were all vaping unflavored 0nic. OH MY GERD! Long-term studies have proven that is safe, but it LOOKS like harmful smoking, SAVE THE CHILDREN.

With the life-saving invention of e-cigs, certain groups are showing that they only care about control and/or $$$. It's blatantly obvious now, and it's so repulsive.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
So... im confused

What is it exactly that all of the naysayers here are against? Is it the nicotine? The vapor? Breathing in general?

Exhaling after taking a puff off of an ecig releases untraceable levels of nicotine. There is more nicotine in a french fry than when i exhale.

The vapor from an ecig is water vapor, moisture. Should it be illegal to exhale on a cold day? An "i can see your breath tax"?

If somebody can bring forward data that shows that i am risking anybody's health by puffing my e-cig anywhere, at any time, please do.

Until then just stop, stop with the hate and the excuses.

DC

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join