It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Moderate Congressional Republicans to Push Stem-Cell Issue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Moderate Republicans drawing hope from the recently passed initiative in California are renewing their call for the federal government to move into stem cell research. The California initiative will fund stem cell research to the tune of 3 billion dollars.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - California voters' approval of a $3 billion ballot measure this week to fund controversial stem-cell research gives new life to a similar effort in the U.S. Congress, moderate Republicans said on Thursday.

The Republican Main Street Partnership, which represents middle-of-the-road party members in Congress, said it plans to renew efforts to relax President Bush's restrictions on funding for embryonic stem cell research, now that the election is over.

"We must continue to work to expand the current federal policy governing this research, because a piecemeal approach is not the solution," said Delaware Rep. Michael Castle, president of the group.

California voters on Tuesday approved a $3 billion bond measure to fund stem cell research. The measure had been endorsed by moderate Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Republican Main Street Partnership, an organization composed of moderate party members, hope to persuade President Bush in regards to easing the restrictions he has placed on the research. Even some conservative Republicans such as Senator Orin Hatch support the idea. Fifty eight senators and 206 members of the house have signed petitions urging President Bush to lift his imposed restriction.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I think that we all could see this coming, and I don't think that Bush is going to fight it. Bush's campaigning on "moral' issues as well as his hinting at divine inspiration may very well have been intended to aid in his re-election, and nothing more. If that's the case then it seems to have worked, and maybe people will stop claiming that he's a religious whacko. All politicians say what they think will get them elected or in Bush's case re-elected.

Now that he doesn't need to worry about another election, maybe we'll see more of Bush's true policies (and something tells me that they won't involve global domination)
. Of course he'll need to be convinced by his fellow Republicans so that he doesn't give away the fact that he decieved those who may have won the election for him

Edit: for shamefully poor use of punctuation

[edit on 6-11-2004 by veritas93]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:15 AM
link   
The political angle of this aside, I hope that they get thier point across. The U.S. is in danger of losing the race int his new arena of technology.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The political angle of this aside, I hope that they get thier point across. The U.S. is in danger of losing the race int his new arena of technology.

I agree. Bush's current stance on this issue could be very bad for us in the long run. It's good to see that at least some element of the Republican party is possibly willing to make a stand on this issue. I wasn't simply making jabs at Bush. In fact, I'm quite pleased with this news.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by veritas93
[I agree. Bush's current stance on this issue could be very bad for us in the long run. It's good to see that at least some element of the Republican party is possibly willing to make a stand on this issue. I wasn't simply making jabs at Bush. In fact, I'm quite pleased with this news.

Im a moderate to liberal Republican, and I was proud to vote for Prop 71 last tuesday. Even if Bush fails to see the light, California will be well positioned in this new field. Its huge and has the potential to be the next 'Silicon Valley" so to speak.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I think that many people don't realize that those who share your philosphies represent a large portion of the republican voting population. Hopefully the moderates will be able to show this to the rest of the country and world, and maybe add a bit of validity to Bush's re-election in the eyes of those who seem doubtful.

Sadly, I can't see a similar proposition even being introduced here in Texas. Everyone here knows that we could use the economic boost. Since the near collapse of the tech industry here in Austin, things have been tough. I wish best of luck to all of you in Cali. If ever I get gravely ill or injured, I may have to travel there for treatment
Unless of course this pressure from the moderates is successful.

top topics

join