It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr Lustig - Sugar is Killing us - or How I Lost 8lbs in 5 days!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Hi ATSers,
I'm not posting this just to tell you about Dr Lustig and his theory that sugar is killing us, since I'm sure many of you have heard it already.

I'm posting this because since I'm overweight I decided to test out his theory by cutting excess sugar from my diet to see what happened.

And what has happened is that I've lost 8lbs in weight in 5 days! (227lbs to 119lbs I'm 5'11)

I want to post some actual results from this because the guy is already being rubbished by the food industry and made out to be a quack based on nothing more really than the argument "our theory is better than your theory" or rather "there's 10 of us who say you're wrong and only one of you so we'll ridicule you and who is the public going to believe?"

I think the only real way to know is to actually try it and see what happens, surely that is the definitive proof, they shouldn't be trying to decide who's right based on theories when it's so easily testable.

I'd just like to make clear that:

1) I haven't cut down my portion sizes;
2) I haven't skipped meals;
3) I haven't done any exercise (I spend all day sat at my computer, I design websites;

All that I've done is to cut ANYTHING that has added sugar out of my diet. If it has sugar in it naturally, like fruit, I've still been eating it. For me the main food stuffs I've stopped eating are:

1) Alcohol;
2) Fruit Juice and other sugary drinks (didn't drink much apart from fruit juice and maybe a Coke once every 10 days or so);
3) Marmalade and honey;
4) Cookies, muffins, and other cake like treats;
5) Chocolate;

Those are the main things I used to consume that I've steered clear of, although I have also made sure that I haven't eaten soup, pizza, or other canned or packaged "ready made" foods if they have sugar added to them.

I've also stopped eating anything with sauces or pickles on it, like yesterday I have a cheese sandwich while we were out and it came smothered in chutney, so I scraped the chutney off - could still taste it but I reckon the big dollops I scraped to the side of my plate must have been the equivalent of at least 2 or 3 spoonfuls of sugar.

I've been eating the same things I always eat, I've just been thinking "does this have added sugar?" and if the answer is "yes" then I've avoided it.

And the weight has just fallen off me. I feel like it's taken no effort at all. I have tried diets before like weight watchers, etc but found them to be very hard work, they made me miserable, I was always hungry, and I DIDN'T lose any weight!

This time around I feel great, more energy, more alert, and amazingly my psoriasis plaques that I've had for 2 years and that just would not heal are smaller, are healing, and have stopped itching!

The amazing 2 things I noticed were that within a couple of days of cutting all of the excess sugar out of my diet I stopped feeling hungry, my appetite just shrunk totally, the wife has to remind me to get something to eat at lunch time, and secondly even apples and bananas now taste so incredibly sweet.

Like I say I've tried dieting before and lost nothing and it was a struggle just to keep to the diet, this time I don't feel like I'm dieting at all, I'm eating the same amounts of food as before, I'm just choosing different food rather than ones with sugar in and the weight is just dropping away.

I feel no ill effects whatsoever, quite the opposite.

I thought that if there were any other ATSers who wanted to test this out they could post up their results and see if they have the same experience.

Then we might actually be able to actively participate in this actual conspiracy by having real, measurable results meaning we absolutely 100% know the truth.

Dr Lustigs presentation at a seminar is below:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Power_Semi

Good going on your weight lose, now you need to know if it keeps going and if it stays off. That is a pretty fast loss. Honey is natural though?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Good going on your weight lose, now you need to know if it keeps going and if it stays off. That is a pretty fast loss. Honey is natural though?

Hi,
you're right it's an incredibly fast loss, I can't quite get my head around it.

Honey isn't really natural in the sense that apples etc contain sugar, it would rarely have been eaten by our ancestors, and today it is indeed mixed with sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup.

I've always though of honey as being a "pure" product, but if you read the label you'll be horrified.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Thank you for the info and good luck on your health. as a side note get quality honey. There is nothing added to honey i get at the store.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Maybe my math is off......

And what has happened is that I've lost 8lbs in weight in 5 days! (227lbs to 119lbs I'm 5'11) 

Pladuim

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by turboneon
Thank you for the info and good luck on your health. as a side note get quality honey. There is nothing added to honey i get at the store.

It doesn't matter if it's pure honey or has additives, it's about 75% sugar.

We shouldn't be eating it, our bodies are not designed to eat sugar in that kind of dose.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pladuim
Maybe my math is off......

And what has happened is that I've lost 8lbs in weight in 5 days! (227lbs to 119lbs I'm 5'11) 

Pladuim

LoL - yes you're right my maths is rubbish - 227 to 219.

I think I'd be in a coffin if it was 227 to 119.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I gave up soft drinks about 3 years ago and lost about 15 pounds in the span of 2 1/2 weeks. No exercise (besides walking) and I didn't change my caloric intake.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
adapting Dolce Diet principles(basically organic everything, structured portions, 2 gallons of water)

I've dropped 22lbs of fat in 2 months(I know its fat mainly due to performance/increased weights/mirror test/etc)

I wasnt eating rubbish before...just never took particular care to stay away from processed

Not just sugar, chemical additives in general will kill you

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Power_Semi

And what has happened is that I've lost 8lbs in weight in 5 days! (227lbs to 119lbs I'm 5'11)

I am glad you are on the road to better health; and thank you for sharing your information.

However...in the above quote did you mean (227 to 199) pounds?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The first week is mostly water weight loss, so don't be discouraged if future weeks differ greatly. A healthy average is losing 1-2 lbs a week, but the first week of any diet can often be 5-10 lbs lost.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Since excess sugar can cause a person to retain the same amount of fluid as excess sugar, the 8 pounds in 5 days totally makes sense. I am not saying it was all water OP.

Good for you for putting Lustig's information into action. If the world even lasts long enough for his message to get around, I have a feeling he'll be credited with overhauling the American diet. Okay yeah I'm dreaming.

But so good for you. Sugar makes my joints swell up so I have to avoid it too. But better to avoid it now before you absolutely have to avoid it.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Was you a soda drinker? If i cut out added sugar I would hardly cut out a thing, maybe jam on toast about once a week. Did you have a candy habit?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
If i didn't bake at weekends (lots of sugar used) my kids wouldn't come and see me, the first thing they do when they come in is kick the shoes of and grab a cake before someone else gets to it first

Well done with the weight loss but i'm sticking to my sugar its to late in life to convert me to nothingness.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The acid alkaline body balance requires both sugars and salts, no sugar you pop the clogs, no salts you pop the clogs, simple as that.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Looks like maybe the sugar reduction has scrambled my mathematical circuits, not only did I get the math wrong on the 8lbs lost, it was also 4 days not 5 days (weighed myself Mon night on my way to bed and just thought oh yeah monday to friday - thats 5 days - but really it's been 4 days of dieting).

D'oh - where's my donuts?

top topics

join