It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: NASA photograph says "this is a UFO."

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Well, at least the Filename

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

What is that, though?

Mod Note: Starting a new thread? Look here first.
edit on 24-5-2013 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Its unidentified jim!

Looks like a large frisbee to me

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I'm gonna go with the classical definition. Something in the air that can't be identified by looking at the picture.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
A bug flying really fast past the camera?

or if this is is on mars or something then never mind.
edit on 24-5-2013 by Casualboy100 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SomeoneWatching

Of course they would call something you can't tell is anything a UFO.....To them this is an unidentified flying object

They won't call an alien spacecraft (if they exist) a UFO.......

Jim Oberg you there? Why would NASA claim this a UFO? If this OP is even correct in saying this....

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

LOL if that is a bug flying by, on mars, that opens up a whole other can of worms.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
For those calling it a bug, didn't know there were bugs on Mars
Unless I'm mistaken, that is from the Rover library.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
that looks like a screen shot from the pong video game!!! atari 2013!!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Just MAYBE its
A METEORITE...
Noo?!?

link   
Here's official story...

It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's a... Spacecraft?
Observing the sky with the green filter of it panoramic camera, the Mars Exploration Rover Spirit came across a surprise: a streak across the sky. The streak, seen in the middle of this mosaic of images taken by the navigation and panoramic cameras, was probably the brightest object in the sky at the time. Scientists theorize that the mystery line could be either a meteorite or one of seven out-of-commission spacecraft still orbiting Mars. Because the object appeared to move 4 degrees of an arc in 15 seconds it is probably not the Russian probes Mars 2, Mars 3, Mars 5, or Phobos 2; or the American probes Mariner 9 or Viking 1. That leaves Viking 2, which has a polar orbit that would fit with the north-south orientation of the streak. In addition, only Viking 1 and 2 were left in orbits that could produce motion as fast as that seen by Spirit. Said Mark Lemmon, a rover team member from Texas A&M University, Texas, "Is this the first image of a meteor on Mars, or an image of a spacecraft sent from another world during the dawn of our robotic space exploration program? We may never know, but we are still looking for clues." The inset shows only the panoramic image of the streak.

Source

link   
Someone on ATS should learn what UFO stands for...
In fact, if I throw a rock up in the air.. and someone see it dot across the sky, it would be a UFO to him
But if we walk over to the impact site and look at it, he would see it´s a rock.. and it would not be a UFO anymore

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Could be a star if it's a long exposure.

Edit:
Ok, obviously it's not.I couldn't see zilebeliveunknowns answer by the time I hit reply
edit on 24-5-2013 by derpif because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Some aliens were throwing a frisbee on the moon and they threw it too high so now it's orbiting trough space and nasa took a picture of it. I mean DUHHH

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Maybe a meteorite, but I think a meteor streak is not so uniform.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by derpif

Er.. The only star that could be between a NASA spacecraft and Mars is the Sun.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

What is that

- METEOR / Viking 2 Orbiter

This is an image of what is now believed to be the first meteor photographed on Mars. The image was taken by Mars rover Spirit on March 7, 2004 (Sol 63), at 04:50:19 local time (LST), with an exposure time of 15 seconds. Analysis published in the June 2, 2005 issue of Nature indicates that this was likely a meteor from a Martian meteor shower whose parent body is comet 114P/Wiseman-Skiff and whose radiant is in the constellation Cepheus. Because of the long exposure time, another possibility originally considered was that this could have been the Viking 2 Orbiter rather than a meteor

WIKI
edit on 24-5-2013 by CosmicQuest because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a spark of lighting?

Meteor?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
They said that it was a a picture taken by the rover on Mars but the file name suggest otherwise: Earth_Sol63A

Earth...

Anyway, nice find

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Is it a bird.........?........ Is it a plane............?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by derpif
Could be a star if it's a long exposure

Or planet. The arc it makes in the sky appears to follow the horizon pretty well.

Only humans eh!

Send a robot to another planet, and take photos. Look at photos and go "Space men!" when seeing another planet.

Maybe even our planet!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join