It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the warmongers out there: CNN's War Casualty Map

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
(rant)

I was browsing around the web and woud up on CNN, and something made me click the coalition casualties map from CNN here: www.cnn.com...

It is an interactive map that shows casualties on two maps, one shows the hometown of the fallen, and the other shows the location on the battlefield where they perished.

Afghanistan Total US and Coalition casualties: 3303
Iraq Total US and Coalition casualties: 4808

And that's just the coalition side! No telling how many Iraqis, and Afghanis were killed.

It's pretty sobering to say the least. I zoomed out as far as it would let me and there were blips over a good chunk of the world that were effected by a war in two medium sized countries.

I posted all of that to say this; on many threads on ATS, comment sections on news articles, YouTube videos, etc people seem, so gun ho and ready to go to war over anything, but don't realize the effect that war has.

If you humanize those numbers and realize that each one of them were someone's son, daughter, brother, sister, father, mother, friend, or loved one it's enough to make someone sick to the stomach.

If after doing this exercise and one still thirsts for war, I wonder how? Why? I just can't wrap my head around it... Can't fathom the appetite for war and destruction; oh wait... Now I get it. Some people stand to gain a substantial profit from war. Disgusting...

(/rant)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

Unfortunately, when diplomacy fails, war is the only option that gets results. Of course, the desired results need to be:

1) CLEARLY STATED
2) REALISTIC
3) WORTH THE LOSS

Equally unfortunately, our recent wars' expected results weren't treated this way for even ONE of these crucial points.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Looks like the East Coast is gung ho! Either that or the recruiters there really know their stuff. I am sad to see all the deaths and wish that we could wage and fund peace and prosperity with the same fierce devotion we give to waging war and destruction. However I do understand that Congressmen and the defense companies they hold stock in would not make untold billions of taxpayer dollars on the peace option.

We need leaders who love America more than they love power and money. Right now Congressmen are making money when our children die in foreign lands.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Looks like the East Coast is gung ho!

Nope, all about population density. Look at a map of the same area at night, and you'll see the lights pretty much correspond as well...

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by majesticgent
(rant)

I was browsing around the web and woud up on CNN, and something made me click the coalition casualties map from CNN here: www.cnn.com...

It is an interactive map that shows casualties on two maps, one shows the hometown of the fallen, and the other shows the location on the battlefield where they perished.

Afghanistan Total US and Coalition casualties: 3303
Iraq Total US and Coalition casualties: 4808

And that's just the coalition side! No telling how many Iraqis, and Afghanis were killed.

It's pretty sobering to say the least. I zoomed out as far as it would let me and there were blips over a good chunk of the world that were effected by a war in two medium sized countries.

I posted all of that to say this; on many threads on ATS, comment sections on news articles, YouTube videos, etc people seem, so gun ho and ready to go to war over anything, but don't realize the effect that war has.

If you humanize those numbers and realize that each one of them were someone's son, daughter, brother, sister, father, mother, friend, or loved one it's enough to make someone sick to the stomach.

If after doing this exercise and one still thirsts for war, I wonder how? Why? I just can't wrap my head around it... Can't fathom the appetite for war and destruction; oh wait... Now I get it. Some people stand to gain a substantial profit from war. Disgusting...

(/rant)

If its from CNN I wouldnt believe its accurate at all...nothing that CNN does or posts is fact checked...you get better info from the Star.

top topics

join