It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police swoop on the homeless taking sleeping bags and food parcels in co-ordinated raids in Redbridg

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

There is a spiritual disease in Western culture where meanspiritedness is applauded and sympathy is deemed a sign of weakness.

We have a kind of caste system in this country - we have our own untouchables. People like to believe certain people deserve to suffer - it's much less thinking for them and less reason to feel bad

They're fearful people most of the time and I feel a little sorry for some of them - it's as if turning a blind eye will protect them

The worse things get - the more outspoken they become

Compassion can be painful

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Adam Jaskowiak was one of the men targeted and said he pleaded with police to be able to keep his things but was ignored. He was sleeping with eight other people finding shelter for the night in the former Ilford Baths in High Road, Ilford. All of their belongings were bundled into a police car leaving the men, one in his 60s, stunned. A police chief told the Recorder the operation was carried out to “reduce the negative impact of rough sleepers”.

Well we cant have any of them rough sleepers around. I mean who knows what they may do? Don't even know what to say, but its a common practice for the police or others to hassle homeless people, not only in the UK but pretty much every other country.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by seamus

blah blah blah....yes I get it, and even if you get rid of the 0.1%, get rid of the corporate big wigs, I still won't support taking from Peter to give to Paul.

If you don't work, you don't eat.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
You Brits are pretty Goddamn cold arent you?
No wonder your race is dying out.......

edit on 24-5-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

The only reason "us Brits are dying out" is because we made the mistake of taking our heels off the rest of the world.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The Sheriff of Nottingham LIVES! ... pay your taxes before you eat and find shelter... The Queen demands it .....

truly despicable for the state to do such a thing .....

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SQUEALER

Originally posted by Firefly_
Those cops need executing. Evil is not a powerful enough word to describe their actions.

Their actions are biblical.

For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
-- Matthew 25:29

biblehub.com...

cops are just doing the LORD's will.

Yes, and the Lord may have been speaking of ones Faith. It has also been said 'I was cold and you took me in, I was hungry and you gave me food'.

I was thirsty.........
I was cold.......

Treat others as you would like to be treated.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by VinnyCaravella

Originally posted by stirling
You Brits are pretty Goddamn cold arent you?
No wonder your race is dying out.......

edit on 24-5-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

The only reason "us Brits are dying out" is because we made the mistake of taking our heels off the rest of the world.

I think we removed your heels...
.........if I recall my history correctly.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by destination now
reply to post by Echtelion

This is in the UK and the Op has already altered their opinion on the validity of the report, so perhaps be bright enough to read the whole thread before replying...it's only 5 or 6 pages long

WOW! You are telling someone to read the article when you have been off topic in the majority of your post and missed the fact that in the original article 8 others were stripped of their belongings. So the police finally attempt to clean up the mess never denying what they did until 3 days later and that means they are telling the truth? Granted I have never been to England and don't know how the police operate beyond what I have read but I know the cops here in the states lie just as much as American politicians do. Lets not forget the charity workers version of events which seemed to be completely dismissed after the cops stated their version of the story.

To be perfectly frank I really don't care if the OP has changed her mind. That is her right just like its mine and apparently several others posting here to believe that the cops are not completely innocent. It has been my experience that the truth never lies on one side or the other. It seems to me that it always falls somewhere in between.

edit on 25-5-2013 by SuicideBankers because: typo

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Romanians hey?
Is that the polite british euphemism for gypsies?
Just asking, or are these just ordinary Romanians?

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
reply to post by seamus

blah blah blah....yes I get it, and even if you get rid of the 0.1%, get rid of the corporate big wigs, I still won't support taking from Peter to give to Paul.

Then You must be a Miracle because I never met Anyone who worked from the Womb and didn't Rely on a Mother for food, sustanance, etc for all those childhood years!!!

Wow, like what kind of Job work did you do from one day old to what, twenty??? Please inform, per tell!

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThreeBears

Originally posted by MidnightTide
reply to post by seamus

Then You must be a Miracle because I never met Anyone who worked from the Womb and didn't Rely on a Mother for food, sustanance, etc for all those childhood years!!!

Wow, like what kind of Job work did you do from one day old to what, twenty??? Please inform, per tell!

Because Using THAT logic, every single infant and child should be left to Starve to death, after all,

They ain't a WORKIN...

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

I know this sounds cold, but meh.....

You do not deserve food
You do not deserve a place to stay
You do not deserve free healthcare

You probably meant to say no one is entitled to those things, not that no one deserves them.

The very fact that some countries try to provide this to everyone is the reason why we are in financial trouble.

The fact that some countries assumed an indefinite economic growth and kept raising the minimum standards of living and the expectations of the same is the reason for the sociological trouble, not financial which was inevitable, whether the expectations of the minimum were high or low.

But the issue here isn't that. Whatever the homeless people received, food and sleeping bags, were given to them voluntarily by the donors. No one has a right to take them away from them or destroy them. It is those with homes that have to get used to the fact that levels of poverty will increase and some cannot afford housing at the currently prescribed standards. So either the society should allow/encourage low cost/low standards housing for these people to move into or at the minimum allow them to squat in public places. To refuse to allow them to survive is inhuman.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

You forgot there is a third way, Peter shares with Paul. As already pointed out by ThreeBears, at least one person has to voluntarily share the fruits of their efforts for a few years before any individual acquires the ability to make a successful effort at survival.

No one should be required to share his/her wealth with anyone, but anyone who believes the others must be prohibited from receiving/giving even when there is no coercion is a psychopath. That is not to say that anyone should be surprised to find psychopaths in societies like the USA, UK etc., which are dominated by psychopaths.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by destination now

Thankyou DESTINATION NOW for popping into this Thread and backing me up with your post!

Some people on ATS don't get it and start jumping to conclusions about you/me before they even know what I am about or who I am..... its sad but it happens.

Also, many do not understand what I write, I think this is where the Americans and British differ....

and what about the next town on.. Do you advocate them stealing everything from a homeless population so they can move on to YOUR area?

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MidKnight

Sure I do, if where you're "living" depends on my hard earned money and puts my loved ones at risk. Homeless people don't wake up one day homeless...it comes usually from years of poor decisions and laziness.

My own father slid into homelessness because he refused to really look for work after his job of 25 years moved out of state. His wife had died years before and she did everything for him, including getting him that long standing job. He went through his savings, pension and welfare doing nothing until he lost his house after 3 years...all because he was too lazy/proud/stupid to take a job "below" him or change his living habits in any way.

Now when someone screws up and wastes their life to that extent they become dependent on people who have resources to help them. Anyone dependent on me and the money I earned by making good life decesions and making personal sacrifices will listen to me or not get my help.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013

Originally posted by Observor
perhaps the government can unofficially designate some public areas far from such communities for the homeless to erect their dwellings and relocate homeless people occupying other public places to these areas?

You just proposed allowing slums to be built in the UK.

I'm not attacking you for that opinion, but this is what you have suggested. Within a decade that land would be covered in tin houses, tarpaulin roofs and open sewers.

We're supposed to be moving forward as a society, not moving backwards.

Originally posted by Observor
Of course a much better solution would be to allow low cost (and hence low standards, of both facilities and sanitation) housing to come up and allow people to move to those places.

What we really need is for all the shops, restaurants and bars in cities that own entire buildings to be FORCED to develop the upper floors into affordable housing.

You know, I saw a TV show once (it was actually a ghost hunting show in the UK from the same team as Most Haunted) where they were in an old building in a town and the ground floor was used by a chain club, the rest of the building above was completely derelict. I mean it was totally unused and hadn't been for decades. It was a beautiful building too, and it was being left to rot.

That building alone, fixed up to basic standards, could house hundreds of people.

We have a homeless problem in every major city and town in the UK, but we also have a problem with building management and companies letting historic buildings crumble and lay empty because of their own greed and selfishness.

There needs to be a plan to fix that first. The government wants to tax empty rooms in family homes, but they let corporations sit in massive derelict buildings doing nothing with them? They let house builders sit on land for decades just so a competitor cannot build there. This country is CORRUPT. That's the first thing that needs to change.

Ok, once hundreds of homeless people move in above a business who pays for water and electric? Who is pays when there's a fire? What about upkeep to make it safe? Who manages who gets what room and for how long? The logistics of this great idea are staggering.

If they're giving away free comfortable places to live why would anyone work? The place would get destroyed by people who could not care less about it. Ever go into a neighborhood that's made up of low cost rentals? They are terrible places compared to a neighborhood where people own the houses they live in.

Not to mention who is going to feel welcome/safe at a business with hundreds of homeless swarming around, eating out of the dumpster and begging for money right out front? You better reserve rooms for the business owner and the staff because they'll need it when the business closes
edit on 5/26/2013 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/26/2013 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

You may think I'm a Nasty person when I say this but if you are going to come over to England, you should be sure to have some Qualification in something to gain work or at least have prepared somewhere to stay before coming over.....

Seriously, I'm sure this guys life was better when he was back in Poland!

I see this Albanian Woman outside the shops trying to sell 'Big Issue'... I'm sure she must have come here for a better reason.

Even graduates are adviced to find accomodation before starting work. Seriously, England is a really overcrowded place now. A classmate of mine graduated and found a job in Surrey. Went down with his girlfriend to find somewhere to rent. The cheapest place they could find was to rent a room in a house shared by several other couples. Even then, the landlord was getting tenants to bid for how much they were willing to pay.

I once took a job in Brighton thinking I could stay in a B&B and save up enough money to put down a deposit. Didn't survive a week before they needed a permanent address for the contract.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

No, they have come from Romania, some may be Roma Gypsies, others just Romanians...What a bizarre question

There are obviously many different people from Eastern Europe, but it was the Romanians who muscled in on the Big Issue sellers, whether they are Roma or Romanians makes no difference. They still moved here with the intention of being "homeless" in order to sell Big Issue magazines, then as a result of that, exploit a loophole that allows them to claim benefits and still sell Big Issue, which is totally against the whole spirit of Big Issue...

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SuicideBankers

My posts have not been off-topic, they were written to show a different side to the issue of Eastern Europeans who have come to Britain without work and without a place to stay and that some elements do this deliberately in order to milk the benefits system..a system they have never paid into.

And I don't see what is so shocking about asking people to read an article, I thought this site was about denying ignorance, yet you make it look like I'm some sort of nasty person because I suggested that people may want to read an article to understand both sides of the argument and as a result be better informed..Wow...just wow

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by stormcell

This is an excellent post and demonstrates exactly what myself and others have been saying. Why the heck would you move to a country without doing any research on the cost and availability of housing, a quick google search would soon show people that unless they have secured reasonably well paid employment prior to moving, then their chance of securing a place to stay is unlikely, it just makes no sense to move to a new country without checking this sort of information out first.

Asylum seekers are different (though many will make their way through several safe countries to get to the UK in the hope of claiming benefits that the other safe countries don't provide) and I can understand why people would need to leave their own country for their own safety and that they probably don't think about jobs and housing under those circumstances and yet again the UK is very generous in these cases and genuine asylum seekers will be housed and their immediate needs met.

However, for an economic migrant to move to a country with huge unemployment and expensive and scarce housing is just madness in my opinion.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join