It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You a Yankee or a Rebel?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
I test as only 36% Dixie, even though I grew up in Clay County, Missouri, part of what was once known as "Little Dixie."

One of my dearest friends moved to Missouri many years ago and I tease her that she sounds like a Yankee. She still has a Southern accent when heard by Northern ears but to Southern ears she sounds like a Northerner. No offense intended but I'm pretty sure you folks in Missouri have an accent that is entirely unique and belonging only to you.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

38% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.
.......Does this mean i get a hot cowgal now.....Yeeeeeeeehhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDoctor46

If you've got what it takes give it a go! I would advise you to take the gas mask off first though- trying to "wrassle" down a cowgirl might leave you a bit winded!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

....Haha yes i will take it off. I feel a few injuries coming on with this "Wrassle" but it sounds so much fun. Its ok im a Doctor

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Originally posted by TheDoctor46

If you've got what it takes give it a go! I would advise you to take the gas mask off first though- trying to "wrassle" down a cowgirl might leave you a bit winded!

Wearing a gasmask like that, the Cowgirl might take the Doc for a bit of a fetishist and have him all hogtied up with her lassoo!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
My result: 71% Dixie. Your neck must be a just little rosy!

What's funny is, I don't know what a "Yankee" or a "Rebel" or a "Dixie" is! I can never remember which one stands for the north and south!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

That was actually hard for me as I have used most of those terms throughout my life having lived pretty much all over. I wish it allowed for multiple choices. I must represent the Mason-Dixon line...

Don't label me!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
78% Dixie here

I'm a pure bred Cajun BUT - I found lots of things wrong with this test. Many of the answers that were common to all of the US as opposed to having a northern or southern slant are simple a matter of proper education - even a southern education. In other words, there is noting in many of these answers that really point to a north or south slant.

Some of the southern things I know people around here will say but only because they have done it all their life and do not care about the proper pronunciation and use of words.

Edit to add:

I am shocked I did score so high for the South though - because most of the stereotypical answers you think southerners use - I dont use ( like Y'all) . Most of my answers were common to the US. Some things you can't compare at all like a Po Boy - there is nothing that comes close to a Po Boy. A Sub, Hoagie and Hero are all the same type of sandwich - Po Boys can be and are Much more than those bland things.

Number 18 doesn't even list All Hallows Eve. This test is flawed.
edit on 24-5-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: addition.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I'm pegged at 84% Dixie, but hey, I am a born and bred Georgia boy. Peace y'all.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
My result: 71% Dixie. Your neck must be a just little rosy!

What's funny is, I don't know what a "Yankee" or a "Rebel" or a "Dixie" is! I can never remember which one stands for the north and south!

For future reference: Yankee= Someone from the North
Rebel, Dixie or Redneck= Someone from the South
I must note however that the term Redneck often refers to someone from a rural area rather than an urban or suburban setting in any part of the country. It originated as a derogatory term but as country folks often do they turned it around and made "lemonade out of lemons".

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Why did you have to mention the Po Boy question like that? You made me hungry and there is no shrimp in the house. Naughty is what you are!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Maybe you are a Missourian and haven't realized it yet? I mentioned to someone earlier that folks from Missouri sound northern to southern folks and sound southern to northern folks. A lot of my answers to the test indicated the Great Lakes area and I did indeed live near Lake Huron at the Canadian border for a year (40 years ago).

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by poloblack
I'm pegged at 84% Dixie, but hey, I am a born and bred Georgia boy. Peace y'all.

Love Georgia! Lived there for 6 months as a child. The accent stuck and people mistake me for being from Georgia on a regular basis.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Well I thought that day would never end, I'll u2u you as well but I just got this in an email from Rocky.
It seems we are all here so.

Tell Rod , Doc, Nat, Littled and all I said HIGH (lol).

Cody

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ballymoney50

Originally posted by cody599
46% Dixie

And I'm a Brit

Cody

Snob

That my lady would be Mr snob to you

Cody

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Oh this was fun! S & F OP.

My score was 38% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee!

I use phrases indicative to the Great Lakes specifically and other answers were nationwide phrases. Such as calling October 30th - "Devil's Night". That is specific to Michigan! I didn't know that!

I'm from the mitten, by the way.

Cirque

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
Well I thought that day would never end, I'll u2u you as well but I just got this in an email from Rocky.
It seems we are all here so.

Tell Rod , Doc, Nat, Littled and all I said HIGH (lol).

Cody

We all know that he would score 100% Rebel!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

I lived in a little town called Algonac, Michigan when I was little. I lived right next to the St. Clair River where it borders Canada and watched the ice breakers plow down the river every morning when it was winter, and waved at the border crossing station guards on the other side who would always swear they saw me every time we rode the ferry across to go grocery shopping (I think they were just being sweet).

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Originally posted by poloblack

people mistake me for being from Georgia on a regular basis.

Same here!

After a few drinks anyways.

Drives my Ma nuts!
She's such a grammer nazi.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

50% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.

I'm surprised by my results. I have no clue that the words mean. But I do have a deep Texan accent despite being born and raised from California. My parents are from the South. California rebel yankee! Woooo hoooo!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join