It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another UK stabbing. Where's the media frenzy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

A 75-year-old man stabbed to death yards from his home may have been targeted in a racially motivated attack, according to police.

The blows were struck with such violence they penetrated to the front of his body.

source

Now given, this victim's attacker didnt wait around after the fact to socialize with onlookers. He didnt tell people that "its cool" or ask to be recorded. We dont know his specific motive (can only speculate), but it would seem that it was motivated by hate.

That sounds familiar.

And I suppose this murder was less violent but is that relevant? Both people are dead.

The loss of any life is regrettable but the coordinated hype and outrage around the "hackers" seems a bit strange.

Its not as though the UK is a haven for peace and tranquility:

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
They wont make it a big deal- Because the killers weapon didnt make a loud noise while the stabbing occured.

If a little piece of metal didnt fly through the air, they dont care.

Stabbings are worse than gunshots if you ask me. Theres always something sinister about a stabbing.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

The knife could not be used to defend yourself from the Government which is the eventual enemy . Guns of any power and multi shot could be used to stop a rouge (United Nations Agenda 21 ) government from enslaving it's people .

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Yes, fatal stabbings are terrible and, depending on circumstances, are usually worse than gun shots...

I think stabbings are much more intimate, more personal.

Remember the Tom Hanks movie, 'Saving Private Ryan'?

A scene from the movie shows a soldier fighting in close quarters fisticuffs with another soldier. They wrestle around until, eventually, one soldier gains control of a knife as-well-as being on top of his adversary. The guy on the bottom uses all his strength to avoid the imminent stabbing.

The man on top over-powers the strength of the man on bottom, and we see the knife begin to creep closer to the man's chest. Realizing it is the end, the man on bottom has direct eye contact with his murderer. As the knife slides slowly into his chest, the murderer can be heard whispering what seems to be words of comfort to the man he is slowly killing.

I know it is cinema, but I have a feeling this is a pretty accurate portrayal of a murder in the circumstances.

An incredibly impactful scene.

edit on 23-5-2013 by esteay812 because: tyops

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
"Where's the media frenzy?"
Well, mostly in America...

And seeing as this wasent some planned attack, just sweep the mess under the rug.... Unless your down for more stuff being blown out of proportion and losing rights for 'security'

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S.

Next time I hear a Brit calling for Americans to lose our guns, I'll be sure to throw that little fact at them.

I'm sure that elderly man would have loved to have some way to protect himself. Too bad England has a chip on their shoulder about a universal right.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonPeter

The knife could not be used to defend yourself from the Government which is the eventual enemy . Guns of any power and multi shot could be used to stop a rouge (United Nations Agenda 21 ) government from enslaving it's people .

The gun itself couldnt- but the person weilding it definately could.

If you have control of a person, and you are the one holding the knife- The knife could be used just as effectively as a gun; and be more accurate.

Especially if theres a physically weak victim in play.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Ohhh cool!! I always wanted to go to UK! Looks really nice! Plus i know a guy there and hes 22
but i'm 16 erhmmm

and dang
the U.S. won't crae cause it's not in their country!
edit on 23-5-2013 by Casualboy100 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Now given, this victim's attacker didnt wait around after the fact to socialize with onlookers. He didnt tell people that "its cool" or ask to be recorded. We dont know his specific motive (can only speculate), but it would seem that it was motivated by hate.

I don't mean to be flip, but what crimes are NOT motivated by hate. That's the problem. And the question, why is there so much of it? Just throwing that out there.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Why would this stabbing result in a media frenzy? What reason is there for a frenzy?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

This is a very difficult post to write, but I will try to be objective and even-handed.

I believe that some people want a media frenzy, because they believe it is basically the same crime as Woolwich. (Did I spell that correctly?) Both crimes involved sharp objects, both involved, apparently, a "traditional" Briton and a Muslim. Because of that, some want the crimes to be reported equally with as much total sympathy for the Muslim as for the, I don't know the word, "native" Briton, perhaps? Not only reported equally, but treated equally.

My difficulty in accepting that thinking is the myriad differences between the two, which, in my mind, justify different treatment.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I believe that some people want a media frenzy, because they believe it is basically the same crime as Woolwich.

My difficulty in accepting that thinking is the myriad differences between the two, which, in my mind, justify different treatment.

I agree. People are stupid. There is no reason for a media frenzy over this case.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

This old chestnut again. How many times does it need debunking?

The reason for high scale crime levels in the UK is because of how we classify violent crime - we include everything from murder to spitting at someone.

If you look at the level of actual violent crime (only serious offences such as assault, GBH, murder, etc) we have a low crime rate.

Various countries manipulate the figures by leaving all sorts of crime off - we go the other way and add all sorts on.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Media frenzy?
Well this happened early May and actually it was all over the telly box and papers.
His family have obviously kicked up quite a stink publically about it, they want answers and quite rightly so.

Yeah Britain most violent country..blah, blah, blah. Posting that all over the place still doesn't make it strictly true.
Give it up already, it's getting old.
edit on 24-5-2013 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
YAY - Daily Fail articles... My favorite...

Shall we start with the line within the article itself that clearly states:

In Britain, an affray is considered a violent crime, while in other countries it will only be logged if a person is physically injured.

So according to the article itself, a little fisticuffs is classed as a violent crime, whereas in other countries this would not even get reported.

This obviously will skew the results SIGNIFICANTLY as most "violent" crimes are going to be the plethora of drunken incidents recorded every Friday and Saturday night in the UK's "finest" towns and cities....

But of course, whatever fits your sensationalist headlines eh Daily Mail?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Your friendly government people will have guns and clubs . Either one trumps a knife . Only a fool brings a knife to a gun fight !

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Now That is a surprise

Can this list be accurate? I mean South Africa is 3rd,under AUSTRIA

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
This has been done to death.

This is the 88 page document of what the UK considers to be "Violent Crime".

www.homeoffice.gov.uk... s/crime-research/counting-rules/count-violence?view=Binary" target="_blank" class="postlink">webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk...://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publi cations/science-research-statistics/research-statistics/crime-research/counting-rules/count-violence?view=Binary

Notice "Assault without injury" "Threats to kill" and "Causing Fear, Alarm or Distress" are included along with many, many others.

The USA considers only 4 crimes to be "Violent crime", those being "murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault."

www2.fbi.gov...

So, these differences and anomalies are simply all down to counting methods - these stats were never meant for international comparison. However, what isn't really open for debate are murder statistics. A murder is a murder and that's pretty well defined between countries.

Comparing murder rates which are collated by the United Nations from national statistics, the US had 4.8 murders per 100,000 citizens for a total of over 14,000 murders in 2010. This is on a downward trend from 8.1 in 1995, the improvement is very commendable!

The UK however always has and still does enjoy one of the worlds lowest murder rates at 1.2 per 100,000 people for a total of 722 murders in 2010, on a downward trend from from 1995 of 1.5

www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/statistics/crime /Homicide_statistics2012.xls

While the numbers are difficult to find, you will find a similar trend on just about all types of violent crime between the US and the UK.

top topics

join