It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crocs – Shoes for People Who’ve Given Up

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I don't know.... perhaps this was done so long ago, it was before they became so fashionable??
I find ti curious because at least here in France, they are very expensive, and are especially popular with the people in the medical field (who discovered them at work, they are the shoes used in hospitals because they can be repeatedly disinfected, and allow the feet to breathe and not get sweaty) and that carried on into their life outside work.

The ones we know do not fit this profile at all- they are all very active and intelligent people.

I only wear them at home, and won't wear them in public because they make my legs and feet look unattractive, I think, and I am very superficial that way. I would guess it is the very superficial people who are deeply concerned with appearance (not those who feel their value is intellectual) who shun those comfortable-but-ugly shoes!
(and are superficial enough to judge the value of a mind upon looks too, like the author of this "study" )

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I have to say that most of what the article said is untrue, particularly in my case. To me Crocs are just plain convenient. I keep a pair by the front door so that if I need to go outside or leave to go somewhere in a big hurry I can just slide them on and go. I would never watch that Tory and Dean show, one of my daughters and all of her friends are "fashionistas" so I've no problem with that, I have much that is worthwhile to say, I'm certainly not unimaginative or unenthusiastic- and armpit hair is just gross! I will admit however that when the husband is out of town I become a bit lax on the leg shaving, but I look at it sort of like a vacation!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Uhh no, there is no truth to that, I have a bad back, and I also have nasty feet, where if I wear the wrong shoe my feet will ache, and cramp like crazy and it hurts. i have bunions really bad and it runs in my family unfortunately. I do wear Crocs, and I shave my underarms and legs and the other area daily. I have tons of motivation I just wear them in my house because they make my feet feel better. Lame!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I agree Crocs are ugly but I cannot criticize. I have been wearing Jolly's for years for garden/mowing shoes. They look very similar to Crocs but have been around a lot longer.
Since they slip on so easy I usually always throw them on whenever I go outside. I have big feet and mine are in my favorite color ..red. I kids call them my clown shoes.
I would never ever leave the house wearing them however! Oh I guess the other morning I was wearing them up at the school bus stop with the kids. I was not awake and honestly didn't give a crud!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hey don't knock the crocs-apparently they are the best footwear if you want to walk the length of the Amazon like Ed Stafford did!
That guy is anything but lazy!!
Ok he didn't wear them for the whole journey,but in his book he mentioned they were better than his boots and wellies,which gave him rotting feet.

Crocs interviewed him about it here:

company.crocs.com...

Pretty good advert for them I reckon!

edit on 24/5/2013 by Silcone Synapse because: extra words added

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I love my crocs. I got turned on to them after I was in the hospital for a short time during my sons birth and all of the nurses on staff wore them. These were men and women that were on their feet for upwards of 10-12 hours a day, and -every- one of them that helped my wife wore crocs.

It said something to be about the possible level of comfort of a pair of shoes.

I haven'y bought anything but crocs from then on out. (Though I do have a couple of pair of ratty ol' Keens.)
edit on 24-5-2013 by MichaelPMaccabee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Such a weird name for some shoes or sandals.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Where the hell did I put my crocs ?

*I'll let myself out*

Cody

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I personally don't like them, and wouldn't wear them, but hey, to each their own. But I mostly hate wearing shoes anyway.

But if they came to this conclusion about people that wear them, where is the study for the people that basically don't wear shoes from May to Sept?
I love to read that one, since it's all about me

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

But Crocs are really made for people like you and me! Leave a pair by the door and if you absolutely MUST wear shoes just slide them on- and kick them back off ASAP! I only wear shoes in January and February unless I'm mowing the yard- then it's hot pink Laredo boots for me!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

LOL but isn't that what flip flops are for?
And OMG I would so mow with boots on, if hubby didn't hog the mower. I hate shoes, but have a serious boot addiction.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

lol Go to Finland. Last time I was there in the summer I was constantly flabbergasted by all the people around me wearing Crocs. I kept saying to my boyfriend "How come everyone is wearing these really ugly American shoes?!"

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by Cuervo

People who wear crocs don't care what other people think of them - they're too busy with their own lives - they don't answer polls - they don't buy ugly, expensive, "high fashion"

Besides that, as ugly as they are, crocs are very comfortable = especially if you spend a lot of time outside in the summer and your feet get wet and dirty.

I want to live in a country where everyone wears crocs!!

From the OP's Linky:

The study shows that Crocs allow people who’ve always felt disenfranchised and left out to finally feel they are part of a community.
“When I walked into our community center for the Sustainable Alternatives to Mass Produced Organ Meats symposium and saw other people wearing Crocs, I ran to the restroom and cried happy tears.” – Carol L. from Seattle, Washington.
“Crocs allow the average Joe to become a part of his community without worrying everybody else is better than him. I know that when I saw a few of my neighbors wearing Crocs it was as if the dark cloud that had been hovering over me my entire life had evaporated. And when that bright, happy sun began shining I saw for the very first time that there were others like me!” – Andrew S. from Carrboro, North Carolina.

Hmmmmmmmm....

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Beezer, you win today's gold star for best unintended troll of the day!

Those who's responses stated or implied that the report and/or study was real, you win this!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Thanks for all the replies folks!

I am astounded by all the croc wearer's here on ATS. Maybe they are that popular.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by blamethegreys

Crocs.

It was the title of the article that sold it for me!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I'll be eagerly awaiting your Birkenstock thread Beez

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by howmuch4another
I'll be eagerly awaiting your Birkenstock thread Beez

It'll be right after the thread on pleated pants and the debate forum thread: Cuffs or no cuffs".

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by rimjaja
As a chiropractor, I cringe every time I see someone walking around in them. Completely awful for your feet, ankles, knees, and spine. Nearly as awful as flip flops!

ok now THAT is an interesting statement considering some of the people i know who WEAR crocs are get this chiropractors, physio therapists, doctors and nurses. and they ALL rave about how comfortable and good they are for you.
personally i think the standard ones are just too ugly to wear, tho some of the new styles don't look so bad.

flip flops the most common daily footwear in the Philippines. guess someone forgot to tell them they are bad for you.
i would say it's like 9 out of 10 people wear flip flops. including driving cars, trucks, buses and motorcycles.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I'm in that debate! Cuffs!! Pleats only if your over 6 ft tall.
I have a great trick catching a quarter in the cuff and then flipping it over my should and catching it in the cuff.

Never got me a promotion but Im fun at parties.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join