It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was John the Baptist a Time Traveler?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution9
He writes the code of the physical Matrix we are in.

edit on 23-5-2013 by Revolution9 because: spelling.

That is the very definition of God in the Christian sense of the word, just put in modern language.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Revelation 10:11- And he said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings.

Also, as another poster referred to in John chapter 21- Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.

23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
He should have hopped back in his time machine before he got his head chopped off.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Belcastro
In the bible sometimes we find events that happened to people that seem like they had been time travelers.

Erich von Daniken: Even in the Bible the prophet Jeremiah was sitting together with a few of his friends, and there was a young boy. His name was Abimelech. And Jeremiah said to Abimelech, ‘Go out of Jerusalem. There is a hill, and collect some figs for us. The boy went out and collected the fresh figs. All of sudden Abimelech hears some noise and wind in the airs [sic] and he became unconscious—he had a blackout. After a time, he wakes up again, and he saw it was nearly the evening. So, he runs back to the society, and the city was full of strange soldiers. And he said, ‘What’s going on here? What happened to Jeremiah and all the others?’ And an old man said, ‘That was 62 years ago.’ It’s a time travel story written in the Bible.

Erich von Daniken did not get this information from the Bible. It's from a pseudoepigraphal piece of literature.

SOURCE: www.jasoncolavito.com...

Pretty much nothing in this statement is true. It also wasn’t true when von Daniken first made the claim in 1977’s According to the Evidence: My Proof of Man’s Extraterrestrial Origins, though back then he apparently knew more about the story than he does now. Let’s begin at the beginning.

First, this story is not found in the Bible, Hebrew or otherwise. The story is contained in 4 Baruch, also known as Paraleipomena Jeremiou (Things Left out of the Book of Jeremiah), a pseudoepigraphal work—meaning it was not written by the person named as the author. It was written probably in the second century CE, and the story contained in it is not found in other pseudoepigraphal texts of Baruch (such as 2 Baruch, on which it is dependent), indicating this story was created at a very late date. Let me stress: this book is not part of the Bible. The story is meant as a fantasy, allowing the author to fill in the back story of what transpired during the period in which Abimelech is gone, and it continues on to describe how the figs were brought to Babylon and used to end the Babylonian captivity. The entirety of the text is designed to console the Romanized Jews about the loss of the Temple and to prophesy its swift reconstruction following Hadrian’s expulsion of the Jews in 132.

edit on 24-5-2013 by DarkkHero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Belcastro

Von Daniken is a fraud. Do some background research.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

it was the same John. doesn't make sense to say that some other, unknown John, not mentioned in the Bible, was selected to receive such a great revelation. it was the same John the Apostle that Jesus loved, who was given authority to write Scripture.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Belcastro
oh so it wasnt john the baptist who wrote revelation this whole time i thought it was.
if it wasnt then my bad

Try reading the New Testament through just one pass, it doesn't take long, then you'll know all kinds of strange and interesting things.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I think this is a common misconception. Jesus was not saying that John the Baptist was actually Elijah. I cannot remember the exact phrase, but it was something like "coming in the name, or form, or something, of Elijah." I have read much commentary from theologians on this very thing, as I was wondering if this was describing reincarnation. But it turns out that no, this is not the case. There are many things that are misconceptions regarding the Bible. I personally know how easy it is to get confused, because first of all these are translations, and second of all the ideas were ancient and therefore some of the concepts and usage are hard for us to grasp. Ancient people who have read the same thing and taken it a completely different way in many instances.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cinrad

Originally posted by Revolution9
He writes the code of the physical Matrix we are in.

edit on 23-5-2013 by Revolution9 because: spelling.

That is the very definition of God in the Christian sense of the word, just put in modern language.

Thank you. It is a great metaphor and one that has more truth may be than we yet realize!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by LastStarfighter
reply to post by Belcastro

Von Daniken is a fraud. Do some background research.

I believe the burden of proof would be on you to prove any fraudulence.

Sticking with the topic, the Bible as we know it - excluding other books like the Book of Enoch, covers a tremendous period of time. While modern scholars have proved to a certain degree that there is some historical accuracy, the notion of time travel within the Bible would lead to the following paradox.

How can it be both historically accurate and hint at time travel? (Keep in mind not every critic is open minded).

Like any good riddle, the contents of the Bible can be interpreted literally or in code.

Remember how objects in motion travel at a slower speed in time than objects not in motion? Perhaps any reference to lost time can be accredited to an outside influence on the people in the Bible. Just as a watch worn by an astronaut circling the Earth will be slower than its stationary counterpart on Earth, so too does any notion of time travel in the Bible lend credence to the idea of an outside technologically-advanced civilization influencing events.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
John the Baptist is an entirely different person then John the Apostle who most believe is the author of both the Gospel of John and of The Revelation.

Those who attribute separate authorship refer to John the Apostle as author of the Gospel and John of Patmos as the author of The Revelation. However neither refer to John the Baptist who was beheaded by Herod Antipas sometime between 31 and 36 AD while Jesus was still alive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join