It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was John the Baptist a Time Traveler?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
In the bible sometimes we find events that happened to people that seem like they had been time travelers.

Erich von Daniken: Even in the Bible the prophet Jeremiah was sitting together with a few of his friends, and there was a young boy. His name was Abimelech. And Jeremiah said to Abimelech, ‘Go out of Jerusalem. There is a hill, and collect some figs for us. The boy went out and collected the fresh figs. All of sudden Abimelech hears some noise and wind in the airs [sic] and he became unconscious—he had a blackout. After a time, he wakes up again, and he saw it was nearly the evening. So, he runs back to the society, and the city was full of strange soldiers. And he said, ‘What’s going on here? What happened to Jeremiah and all the others?’ And an old man said, ‘That was 62 years ago.’ It’s a time travel story written in the Bible.

Revelation

1 The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, 2 who testifies to everything he saw—that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ. 3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.

what i take from this part of Revelation is that it is John's Testimony and that the book he wrote is the same thing as a witness report in modern day terms. It is said that the things within this book are to be from God.
The Reason I think John the baptist was a time traveler was because jesus refered to him as Elijah the prophet, as the Hebrews believed that Elijah would return from Heaven and pave the way for jesus. he effectlvely paved the way for him by writing the book of revelation as well. In the Bible, it is said that jesus had said that "Elijah had come, but they did not recognize him." and it also says that the disciples knew that jesus was talking about john the baptist.

en.wikipedia.org...

(Matthew 11:13-14) - "For all the prophets and the Law prophesied until John. 14"And if you care to accept it, he himself is Elijah, who was to come."

Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your petition has been heard, and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you will give him the name John. 14"And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth. 15"For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and he will drink no wine or liquor; and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, while yet in his mother’s womb. 16"And he will turn back many of the sons of Israel to the Lord their God. 17"And it is he who will go as a forerunner before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers back to the children, and the disobedient to the attitude of the righteous; so as to make ready a people prepared for the Lord," (Luke 1:13-17).

John the baptist may have been a time traveler if he had knowledge of future events that we see in revelation. either that or he really was a "Prophet." like Elijah.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The majority of revelation you will have to read for yourself but if you have and you have read the bible, do you think john the baptist was either a time traveler, or a real prophet like Elijah? do you believe that God is capable of time travel if he chose to?

as they say all things are possible with God.
edit on 23-5-2013 by Belcastro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
OP, I don't believe John the Baptist and John of Revelations are the same John. In the Bible, John the Baptist was beheaded while Jesus was alive. John of Revelations is supposed to be John the disciple.

Someone correct me if John of Revelations is a different John but I know it is not John the Baptist...well, according to the bible anyway.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
It seems to be one of the perks of worshiping the Almighty. God gets what God wants. Time travel? No problem. Appearing out in the distance, walking on water, having to assure the guys on the boat that one is really there? Of course. Making lots of food come out of a place with a little food? With enough faith.

Consider that human beings have a natural pace of traveling through time already. Naturally we sort of stick together, but then some people get to a state of being so separate, or holy, that even the world is not an attachment. Then God drives where they go.

I think the hardest part comes from that story about the rich man who asks Jesus what he must do to inherit the kingdom of God, and the reply was to sell all that he had, and he was down because he was wealthy. People don't travel "at will" because of their attachments. So how do you think the person sent to get figs traveled? But then he went through and wound up back to his older attachments, of the same men who sent him out for figs. So he was going to go up to be part of an infinite direction, but he wanted to return, and he did.

I don't know how to explain it in time but there are also time travel phenomenon, where in an infinite-choice mind, one can live through time, and then something is decided that that wouldn't be the right path, so one's path regresses to re-exist at the same point where the decision started going out of plan. And you wake up with a memory of a life lived, but it was as if it were a dream.

I don't know about John the Baptist being a time traveler, but behind the concept of reincarnation, or individuals returning to earth in multiple life presentations which could be lifetimes or beings, or just messengers, or just the stranger walking through giving good advices and disappearing...behind all that John could have had another lifetime where he had another name but his same consciousness is on Earth. I don't calculate doctrines behind this, but God gets what God wants, and people of God, sons of God, saints of God, tend to do what God wants them to do. That's the idea of discipleship and worship. So yes he may be a time traveler, if God wants it that way.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn
OP, I don't believe John the Baptist and John of Revelations are the same John. In the Bible, John the Baptist was beheaded while Jesus was alive. John of Revelations is supposed to be John the disciple.

Someone correct me if John of Revelations is a different John but I know it is not John the Baptist...well, according to the bible anyway.

You are correct, they are not the same person.

However, in keeping with the OP subject, the John of Revelation was told in a vision that he would preach the words of this revelation to the world. This could be an indication that he could come back as perhaps one of the two witnesses, making him a potential future time traveler.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
There is of course a logical deduction one can make about much of the bible.

The bible has many themes, and stories, of which prophecy of future doom seems

to have an unusual preponderance. Even the apocrypha are predominantly future prophetic,

such as the lost book of Enoch.

So, consider that time travel physics and math has already been worked out in theory,

and that it seems plausible a future time traveler could well inform any age about far future

events in an attempt by the same society to avert catastrophe, and much in the bible

seems to make exceptional sense.

Good topic.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn

Some scholars think it is a different John to the John who was Jesus' Apostle. Some believe it is the same John.

John The Baptist is a different John again, or Elijah (lol).

I do feel Jesus was dropping a hint when He said that "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me"

He did return to John in The Revelation. It is The Revelation of Jesus Christ. Jesus spoke to John and John saw Him in the vision (St. John of Patmos that is).

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

Correct, well, afaik

But not all scholars agree it was him. Some believe it could have been any other John, as that was such a popular name. I take it as John the Apostle cause he is known as the disciple Jesus loved. On the cross, Jesus entrusted the care of his mother, Mary, to an unnamed disciple, probably John, who took her into his home (John 19:27). Some scholars speculate that John may have been a cousin of Jesus.

So who would God entrust to write the most important prophecy?

Back to the OP - Our Father is Omnipotent, Omniscient & Omnipresent. Time means nothing to Him, so imo I believe He can do whatever He feels like. We call it time travel and He just blink His eyes

* Revolution9 - I too believe that Angels and even Yeshua spoke to him or to say, gave John the visions.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: added

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Belcastro

I believe that a thousand years is like a day to The Lord. Anything is possible with The Lord. HE is The Master Programmer.

John was a man born in time to a woman. He lived only in that time. The prophesy was that Elijah would return before the coming of The Messiah. Jesus was showing that prophesy was fulfilled.

Whether or not John really was the Spirit of Elijah returned I do not know. It was Elijah who did not die and was the only human being apart from Enoch and Jesus who ascended. May be John was Elijah's spirit returned. Or may be Jesus meant it figuratively. Specifics may have got lost in translation. Hebrew and Greek readers know about this.

Interesting that Revelations mentions the Two Prophets coming when The Beast is set loose. It says they are killed and after three days rise as Jesus did and terrify everybody!

edit on 23-5-2013 by Revolution9 because: error

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
oh so it wasnt john the baptist who wrote revelation this whole time i thought it was.
if it wasnt then my bad

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Belcastro
oh so it wasnt john the baptist who wrote revelation this whole time i thought it was.
if it wasnt then my bad

Well now you know! Same Spirit anyway, lol!

We are all learning here. You just learned something new which is always a gift and you are humble enough to accept a change in perception. That makes us wise.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

if it wasnt then my bad

also john the baptist was Jesus cousin.

he was the one who prepared the way.

The voice of one crying in the wilderness.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

Thank you, I knew there was some debate on the subject at one time.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Belcastro

Just wanted to add that many believe John was the only original Apostle who died a natural death. All the others were slain in all manner of different parts of the world, from India to England!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sandalphon
It seems to be one of the perks of worshiping the Almighty. God gets what God wants. Time travel? No problem. Appearing out in the distance, walking on water, having to assure the guys on the boat that one is really there? Of course. Making lots of food come out of a place with a little food? With enough faith.

Consider that human beings have a natural pace of traveling through time already. Naturally we sort of stick together, but then some people get to a state of being so separate, or holy, that even the world is not an attachment. Then God drives where they go.

I think the hardest part comes from that story about the rich man who asks Jesus what he must do to inherit the kingdom of God, and the reply was to sell all that he had, and he was down because he was wealthy. People don't travel "at will" because of their attachments. So how do you think the person sent to get figs traveled? But then he went through and wound up back to his older attachments, of the same men who sent him out for figs. So he was going to go up to be part of an infinite direction, but he wanted to return, and he did.

I don't know how to explain it in time but there are also time travel phenomenon, where in an infinite-choice mind, one can live through time, and then something is decided that that wouldn't be the right path, so one's path regresses to re-exist at the same point where the decision started going out of plan. And you wake up with a memory of a life lived, but it was as if it were a dream.

I don't know about John the Baptist being a time traveler, but behind the concept of reincarnation, or individuals returning to earth in multiple life presentations which could be lifetimes or beings, or just messengers, or just the stranger walking through giving good advices and disappearing...behind all that John could have had another lifetime where he had another name but his same consciousness is on Earth. I don't calculate doctrines behind this, but God gets what God wants, and people of God, sons of God, saints of God, tend to do what God wants them to do. That's the idea of discipleship and worship. So yes he may be a time traveler, if God wants it that way.

What a lovely inspired bit of writing. I wish more people would contribute here. I want to learn from others so much!

I think it is all tied up with Quantum Mechanics; I really do! This world is not all it seems. It is code!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

I am ever so sorry but I have got to say these things somehow!

With God ANYTHING is possible. Jesus said that GOD could even raise loads of children for Abraham out of the very stones at His feet if He desired to do so. This reveals something. The miracles reveal something. They tell us about the nature of the physical world. The LORD could materialise a blue headed fifty foot dragon with pink spots if it were required. He writes the code of the physical Matrix we are in.

edit on 23-5-2013 by Revolution9 because: spelling.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sandalphon

I have to agree with Revolution9

This quote spoke to me as I question daily if I am back where I started, have I moved along the right path or taken the wrong one yet again. If the right path, why do I have the dreams that tell me what will happen...and it does. So it is all about choice, learning enough and past making enough impact that you make a new choice.

But I am off topic. Thank you for that inspiring post.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Both time travel and prophecy is available to True Christians.

The ability is not available all the time though and not whether you can control it. The availability is purely dependent on God's Will.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   

In the bible sometimes we find events that happened to people that seem like they had been time travelers.

Erich von Daniken: Even in the Bible the prophet Jeremiah was sitting together with a few of his friends, and there was a young boy. His name was Abimelech. And Jeremiah said to Abimelech, ‘Go out of Jerusalem. There is a hill, and collect some figs for us. The boy went out and collected the fresh figs. All of sudden Abimelech hears some noise and wind in the airs [sic] and he became unconscious—he had a blackout. After a time, he wakes up again, and he saw it was nearly the evening. So, he runs back to the society, and the city was full of strange soldiers. And he said, ‘What’s going on here? What happened to Jeremiah and all the others?’ And an old man said, ‘That was 62 years ago.’ It’s a time travel story written in the Bible.

I know my Bible pretty well and I have never heard of this story. I have just done a search using about 10 key words from the quoted passage and I cant find anything like that at all. This is not from the Christian Bible, I am pretty sure I would have known that story had it been in it. Is it from the Quran or some Jewish text?

This guy explains where the story is from on his blog, good research DENY IGNORANCE

edit on 24/5/13 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
, the John of Revelation was told in a vision that he would preach the words of this revelation to the world. This could be an indication that he could come back as perhaps one of the two witnesses, making him a potential future time traveler.

Where is that?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join