It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists uncover nearly 5,000 ancient cave paintings in Burgos, Mexico

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Nearly 5,000 ancient cave paintings have been discovered in Burgos, Mexico.

The images in red, yellow, black and white depict humans, animals and insects, as well as skyscapes and abstract scenes.
The paintings were found in 11 different sites - but the walls of one cave were covered with 1,550 scenes.
The area in which they were found was previously thought not to have been inhabited by ancient cultures.

Experts have not yet been able to date the paintings, but hope to chemically analyse their paint to find out their approximate age.

I love cave paintings
It will be interesting to see when they date to, especially as they had no idea any ancient cultures inhabited the area.

Link 1

Link 2
edit on 23-5-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: typo

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Wow,what an amazing discovery...possibly pre Toltec hunters painted them,that would make them very very old.
This part was cool:

In one cave more than 1,550 images were found, including an image of an atlatl, a Hispanic weapon used for hunting that has not been seen before in paintings in the Tamaulipas region.

www.independent.co.uk...

I love atlatl's,I have made a few,they are among our first known about hunting tools,and were developed in many parts of the world in pre historic times.
I couldn't see one in the pics though,maybe its in one of the other images.
Can't wait to see if they manage to date those pigment samples..I am guessing maybe 6000years old.

Great find!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
well its unbelivable that the paint is still visible after 5 thousand years..

did they draw with blood?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 2Unknown

There are places which,by some lucky quirk of their weather/location or other variables that ancient paintings can remain.Its also possible that the what we see is not the actual paint which was applied long ago,rather it is the stain of the paint,or the stain of generations of bacteria which have eaten said paint.

Fortunately for us,this allows us to still see the images,although maybe in different colors than they were originally,although it may also give us less accurate dating.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Pretty darn awsome
Cant wait to get some dating on that site,

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2Unknown

There are cave paintings much older than 5000 years mate! Also he said 5000 paintings found not years

They are decent, will be great when they do date them

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
doobla
edit on 23-5-2013 by Sparta because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-5-2013 by Sparta because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Looks like the work of ancient speed freaks .....what kind of weed were they eating?jimpson?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
you know that last picture looks like a eye to me.

you kinda like this one

this one
all seeing eye on dollar bill

eye in op

see how the lines or rings are in the eye, the op's go across left to right, the dollar goes down top to bottom.
just a little deference, but makes one wonder.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Beautiful stuff, and very unlike the Trans-Pecos style of art. I'm struck by the patterns, too.

I wonder if the images have been photo-enhanced... many researchers do that for older paint because it's hard to see the fainter images. The overpainting is interesting, too... I would dearly love to go there and start taking photos!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

It's hematite (an iron ore) mixed with a binder (plant juice) and fat, if it's mixed with anything. While they might have drawn with blood, blood wouldn't have any staying power (it turns dark and black-ish and is easily broken down by microbes and insects.)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

In picture number 2 of your OP,
There are 4 people upper right of image-
They look to be wearing bone adornments on their heads,in a similar way to the later Aztec warriors-Zoom on the area,are they 4 hunters sitting by the fire in the foreground-or are they tied prisoners of war maybe-upon a fire as punishment?

What an image-the detail of the facial adornments alone are amazing when you zoom in.
Much to analyse and learn from-I wish we could see all of the pictures!!!

edit on 23/5/2013 by Silcone Synapse because: sp

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Hi bryd,

So these works are a marked departure from what would he associated with the known cultures of the area?
That very interesting, because I see some similarities with California rock art, such as this yokuts work that us located on a hill in a nearby town.

If the paintings in Mexico are around 6000 years old and they are differnt from what one would expect to find in te area, they might represent the arrival of the first Uto-aztecan speakers in mesoamerica. From my research I believe that their ultimate origins are here in central California. It is here that some of the earliest paleoindian burials have been found. And these early burials contain very unique skeletons. They are characterized as very archaic, and similar to the pericu' of baja.
Where you find there paintings,

And similar skeltons have been found in central eastern Mexico.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

From the sound of things they are looking to be the work of pre-Hispanic groups who tried to keep things that way once the Spanish arrived, ie they date to the time of the Conquista by groups who fled to those caves.

Gustavo Ramirez, an archaeologist from the Mexican National Institute of Anthropology (INAH), said: “The discovery is important because we have documented the presence of pre-Hispanic groups in Burgos, where before it was said there was nothing.”

Martha Garcia Sanchez, another archaeologist involved in the study, said that very little is known about the ethnic groups who lived in the caves.

“These groups escaped the Spanish rule for almost 200 years because they fled to the Sierra de San Carlos where they had water, plants and animals to feed themselves,” she said.

“We have not found any ancient objects linked to the context, and because the paintings are on ravine walls and in the rainy season the sediments are washed away, all we have in gravel,” said Ramirez.

Burgos Mexico

So i take it they were made over a 200 year period post conquista

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Kantzveldt

That is just as fascinating as them being ancient. It would surprise me that there was no previous occupations.
I seem to remember another cave site in the mtns in this region of mexico, that had occupations going back 7-8000 years.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I see a golf club, super eight logo, a roundpoint shovel, candle holder from a church, and a lot of other things I know. I doubt if that's what they are though
Is that Tiger woods in the second picture

The color seems too sharp to be very old. There could be seven hundred years of graffiti.
edit on 23-5-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Hmm. Aesthetic standards must have degenerated considerably since Lascaux.

edit on 24/5/13 by Astyanax because: of T. Ypo.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

I thought exactly the same thing!
But I'm not seeing any symbolism. I think someone painted an iris because the crevice is eye-shaped. Kind of the way people draw smilie faces in round openings today.
IOW, graffiti. Really, really old graffiti.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

No its not blood, its called red ochre, excuse the spelling

Blood would not last for this time period on a wall.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I see a golf club, super eight logo, a roundpoint shovel, candle holder from a church, and a lot of other things I know. I doubt if that's what they are though
Is that Tiger woods in the second picture

The color seems too sharp to be very old. There could be seven hundred years of graffiti.
edit on 23-5-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

The colar seems to new to me as well. At this link you can find an article in PNAS regarding use of this by neanderthals www.pnas.org...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join