It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damn tailgaters.....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Yep...cruise control works great. Once, I even flipped off my rear view mirror and threw it in the backseat and set the cruise for 10 mph below the limit...just to let the knucklehead behind me know I wasnt even gonna pay attention to him/her back there.

We have a long-time saying here in Michigan..."Go ahead! Hit me! Daddy needs a new car!" (its usually always the car behind in an accident that gets the ticket for following to close and not in control of their vehicle).

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Usually, my tactics are the braking system (assuming slowing down is not doing the trick). I don't flash the brake lights as much because one time, it almost got me into an accident.

I was stopped at a light, waiting to turn right down a multi-lane road - when Mr. Impatient decided that I was waiting too long at a red light (I'm not turning if someone decides to try and run the red, which they did). After I made my turn - guy behind me apparently didn't like that I was only doing 35mph (which is the speed limit), in a heavy police presence area. As he was riding my butt, I decided taping the brakes would remind him that I was the one setting his pace - big mistake. He zoomed in the other lane, cut me off in my lane, and wailed on his brakes (left some lovely looking treads in the road). And, after suddenly realizing that I was motioning to a cop (which witnessed the entire thing), he sped off; heard the siren about 3 seconds later

My favorite bumper sticker was one saying something like "If you can read this, then I can put on my brakes, sue you, and win" - I've been tempted to install a set of speakers in my car's trunk facing outward, so that if they get too close, I can set up a directional base - I hate it when the base is cranked up in someone else's car, so I imagine that two speakers pointed at the tailgator would also annoy them as well.

-fossilera

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I commute to work one hour each way as well. Here's how I deal with tailgaters: I change lanes and let them by. Even if I'm already speeding, I don't want them behind me if traffic stops head of me. The other bonus of letting them pass, is they'll catch the attention of any speed traps. If you are driving on the highway a lot, and you find traffic is constantly passing you on your right, could be that you need to keep to the right lanes.
Tailgaters are dangerous and often cause chain reaction crashes but equally as dangerous are those that clog the left lanes driving at a speed that causes a bottleneck of traffic behind them in the left lanes.
OP, I'm not suggesting you're at fault here in any way, but bad highway driving is really one of my pet peeves and since you brought up highway driving, it allowed me to vent...

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by meemaw

I do try that tactic when available. (changing lanes, letting them pass).

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join