It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Convenience of Plastic Is Killing Our Oceans‏

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

About 300 million tons of plastic are produced each year. In the US alone, about 30+ million tons of plastic waste is dumped into the solid waste system, including various plastic containers, bags and other types of packaging, with only about 10% being recycled. Plastic, which was once regarded as convenient and versatile, has actually become one of the biggest environmental problems of our time.

Over the last 50 years, we’ve increased the amount of plastic waste 12 fold. Typically plastics are made by using non-renewable resources, and most plastics are non-biodegadable, which means they will be around for centuries. The ingredients used to make plastics, such as petrochemical bisphenol A (BPA) and bisphenol S (BPS), have been linked to a wide range of serious adverse health effects. “Plastic pollution is a major global phenomenon that has crept up on us over the decades, and it really requires a global and comprehensive solution that includes systemic rethinks about usage and production.” –

Doug Woodring, Plastic Disclosure Project (Source: New York Times) Plastic bags are another concerning issue. Over 1 trillion plastic bags are produced in the world each year. We use them for everything – from carrying groceries, to packing beauty products in our luggage, to storing foods in our refrigerator, and they have made our life much more convenient.

Yet, the price for this convenience is astounding. The infographic below, produced by Arte IDEAS, will give you an idea of the impact plastic bags have on the environment:

Source

I was really surprised to see how many plastic bags are thrown away every year and how many are found in the ocean.
It really is a shame they are going to be a problem for years to come as they aren't degradable.
The impact it's having on ocean life is really upsetting.
The chart above really puts it into perspective for me, something really does need to be done to stop it getting any worse.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I recycle
Good for me!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

I fully support even banning plastic bags. Here they are taxed but still cost around 10-30 cents, which is not much.

It is not hard to take some bage made of cloth with you... or backpack. When you buy lots of stuff, they dont break down either

Just another example of an industry, which creates no real value and wastes a lot. Plastic bags can easily be replaced by far more environmentally friendly alternatives.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

Plastic bags, plastic bottles, etc. are taking over our oceans and destroying precious sea life as well as creating an eye sore. Anyone who cares to look out of the window as they are flying into the Hawaiian islands can testify that the islands are surrounded by seas of floating garbage- most of which consists of plastics. I was mortified to see the island paradise surrounded by floating filth that I never realized the extent of until I saw it from the air.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
My county in CA banned plastic bags 1-3 years ago, we either have to buy individual paper bags for 10-30 cents or use those reusable bags.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
It occurs to me that if someone wanted to help the environment, humanity, and start a business, why not lease a boat and get out there, haul it back to land, then sell it to reycling companies?

sodacans.org...

One would have to map it's path, that being closest to land and devise some way of capturing (netting?) a lot of it and towing it back to land.

en.wikipedia.org...

Where there's a will, there's a way.
edit on 23-5-2013 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join