It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Fort Hood shooting victims struggle while defendant draws salary ( $278,000 while sitting in

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I am completely and utterly sick and disgusted this scumbag, Nidal Hassan, I wont address him by his rank, still draws military pay, has been paid $278.000 THOUSAND DOLLARS while he sits pretty in the Bell county jail, while his victims STRUGGLE to pay their medical bills, because the president REFUSES to call this attack a TERRORIST ATTACK, like he REFUSED to call the attack in Benghazi a terrorist attack.

Adding to the soldiers' concerns: Major Nidal Hasan, the man charged in the shootings, continues to be paid his salary and has earned more than $278,000 since the shooting, which resulted in 13 deaths and 32 injuries.

news.yahoo.com...

13 soldiers died that day, 32 were injured, and will suffer the rest of their lives because this dirtbag. Former soldiers like Spc. Logan Burnett,

a reservist who, in 2009, was soon to be deployed to Iraq, was shot three times when a gunman opened fire inside the Army Deployment Center. “I honestly thought I was going to die in that building,” said Burnett. “Just blood everywhere and then the thought of -- that's my blood everywhere.” Burnett nearly died. He's had more than a dozen surgeries since the shooting, and says post-traumatic stress still keeps him up at night.
Burnett is now fighting a new battle; only this one is against the U.S. Army.
The Army has not classified the wounds of the Ft. Hood victims as “combat related” and declines to label the shooting a “terrorist attack”,
The “combat related” designation is an important one, for without it Burnett and other shooting victims are not given combat-related pay, they are not eligible for Purple Heart retirement or medical benefits given to other soldiers wounded either at war or during the Sept. 11, 2001 attack on the Pentagon.
As a result, Burnett, his wife Torey, and the families of other Fort Hood victims miss out on thousands of dollars of potential benefits and pay every year. To Burnett the shooting felt like combat.
“You take three rounds and lose five good friends and watch seven other people get killed in front of you. Do you have another term that we can classify that as?” asked Burnett.
The Army has categorized the shooting as a case of “workplace violence.”
“Sickens me. Absolutely sickens me. Workplace violence? I don't even know if I have the words to say,” said Burnett.
"They don't need to be treated like this. They don't need to sit and fight every day for this benefit or that,” said Torey Burnett.

www.nbcdfw.com...

WORKPLACE VIOLENCE!!!! This makes my blood boil, as a former Army Veteran, I WAS stationed at Ft Hood from 96-98.

To make things worse, those that PROMISED our soldiers they would be taken care of, our congress and senate, have TURNED DOWN A BILL that would have helped these victims with medical care

TEMPLE — U.S. Rep. John Carter, R-Round Rock, reintroduced bills Thursday to make victims of the 2009 Fort Hood shooting eligible for the Purple Heart and combat-related benefits, and to protect service members from retaliation for reporting terroristic threats.
“The real irony and outrage is that this bill is unnecessary,” Carter said of the Fort Hood Families Benefits Protection Act. “The secretary of defense has the authority, under current law, to grant combat casualty status to cases such as this.”
Fourteen people — including an unborn child — were killed and 32 were injured in the shooting rampage Nov. 5, 2009. Witnesses said a gunman wearing an Army uniform opened fire after shouting “God is great” in Arabic. The Defense Department characterized the attack as “workplace violence” rather than terrorism, which kept victims and their families from receiving the same benefits as troops killed or injured in combat.
Survivors are eligible for the same medical benefits as other service members, Pentagon press secretary George Little said last year.
However, those benefits do not cover the significant costs incurred by survivors like Staff Sgt. Shawn Manning, who was shot six times and still has bullets inside his body, Carter said.
“Three years have gone by and this soldier is facing surgeries and a mountain of medical bills with no end in sight,” Carter said in a statement. “We owe it to him to honor his sacrifices.”
Carter also resubmitted the Military Whistleblower Protection Act to protect service members and civilian defense employees from retaliation for reporting terroristic threats.

Both bills were introduced last session but did not make it through the approval process.

kdhnews.com...

The Congressman is trying to REINTRODUCE this bill again, to help these families

The Congressman whose district includes Ft. Hood is reintroducing a bill that will help victims of the 2009 shooting at the Texas Army base receive full benefits and make them eligible for the Purple Heart or the civilian equivalent. "Shortly after the shooting, I introduced The Fort Hood Families Benefits Protection Act, which would award both military and civilian casualties of the Fort Hood attack combatant status," said Rep. John Carter, R.-Texas. "It became clear early on that the Obama administration was reluctant to officially refer to the November 5, 2009 attack on Fort Hood as a 'terrorist attack.'"

abcnews.go.com...

As a Veteran, I am truely and utterly sickened by the way things have been handled. I feel the govt has the ability to seize Hassan's pay and give it to the families of those he killed and injured that day. He doesnt deserve ONE RED CENT of his pay.

I am calling my senator and congressman today to tell them they better follow thru on taking care of these families, or they will not see another successful election. I am near Ft Bragg, Camp Lejeune, Pope AFB. North Carolina has a HUGE military community. We take care of our own, since apparently our govt wont.
edit on 5/23/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
The law is pretty clear just like anyone he has not been found guilty so you can not take his pay. Just like anybody else the victims families can file a civil complaint and take it from him. You also can not just declare things combat or terrorist related unless you have some kind of proof. So far this guy seems to be one lone nut case. No ties to any group. Would be nice if someone could just wave a magic wand make ignore laws and courts to make things fair, sure. However you know that is not the way the military works.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

You also can not just declare things combat or terrorist related unless you have some kind of proof.

U.S. intelligence agencies were aware months ago that Army Major Nidal Malik Hasan was attempting to make contact with an individual associated with al Qaeda, two American officials briefed on classified material in the case told ABC News.

abcnews.go.com...

Fort Hood, Texas (CNN) -- Pvt. Joseph Foster was filling out routine paperwork for his upcoming deployment to Afghanistan on Thursday when he heard a shout quickly followed by a burst of gunfire from just a few feet away. "I was sitting in about the second row back when the assailant stood up and yelled 'Allahu akbar' in Arabic and he opened fire," Foster said Monday on CNN's "American Morning."

www.cnn.com...

Need I say anymore??

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I agree with ya, Homes...S/F

And 'terrorism' (to the other poster) can be done by a lone nutjob - he killed those people, right? Timothy McVeigh was a lone nutter, too, so was Ted Kazinski. So, your argument that he should still be drawing pay is NULL and VOID. It's bad enough that taxpayers are footing the bill for the shelter and food he's getting while incarcerated.

The guy is a Fail. No more pay. Look to the needs of the victims, and let him rot.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I agree, I read a story about one person who still has bullets in his body because he cannot the medical care to get them removed. This happened while he was on ACTIVE DUTY, why isnt he being taken care of by the military???

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Please add any comments to the existing thread found here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join