It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FORD, going backwards!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
So FORD Australia is shutting up shop.
motoring.ninemsn.com.au...

After years of dwindling sales, and with no immediate sign of recovery, Ford Australia has decided to abandon manufacturing in Australia.

...after taking the millions and millions in government handouts..,

Ford Falcon has been awarded $103 million in government funding which will be used to improve fuel efficiency and emission control conditions.

that will continue filling FORD bank accounts.. until the day it flicks its padlock over and locks the gate!

How much profit have they made over the decades?

And after 10's of millions of handouts.. they're taking off, just like the Telstra CEO!

Hey FORD, It's 2013 and your still building cars that rely on petrol.

Imagine if you told big oil to get f***kt, and built a pure, 100% natural running vehicle that looks good and suits our time.

You could sell it internationally and totally dominate the market.

But no... you'd rather take the governments money and run off to your retirements.

edit on 23-5-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Ford produces one of the best hybrids on the market in North America. I believe on of their cars got some insane mileage on one tank of gas, something like 1200 miles.

I'm not sure why it didn't work out down under, but sometimes it's actual market factors. Maybe you Aussie's just don't like Ford. Not sure.

I know the cars they are producing in NA though, have been updated, nice styling, really well put together interiors that finally met the standards of Japanese and German cars. Also, their black leather with white stitching is gorgeous, and honestly makes you feel like you're in a luxury car.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Hmm let me see Ford makes 2 models here in Australia;

Big greedy gas hogs: Check
Large car segment models that no-one really wants; Check
Priced beyond what most people are prepared to pay these days (sub 35k); Check
Lack of diesel model in the Falcon; Check
Overpriced diesel model in the Territory; Check

Anyone remember the diabolical Mitsubishi 380 and Mitsi Australia's fate? History is repeating again...

If Ford were truly dedicated to Aussie manufacturing they could build locally tuned and fettled CKD kits of the Mondeo, Ranger etc. NZ did it for years until used imports from Japan decimated the new car market; a problem Australia does not share.

But no, they would rather say thanks for the handouts and run while they can

edit on 23-5-2013 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-5-2013 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
FORD did lose 600 million dollars in five years, you can't afford to keep going when you're hemorrhaging that much money.

But still, they got a very generous government grant,but i suspect the suits in the upper echelons knew that throwing money at the problem won't fix it, so they're taking the money and running.

It's sad, given that the falcon is one of the great aussie cars, and now all we'll see is mondeos and territories. And it's only a matter of time before the commodore is gone, and we'll have no V8's left and all we'll see is cheap overseas hatchbacks. And that sucks because only milk and juice should come in two litres.

Let's not forget the jobs as well, people will be struggling while the execs will take their 100K salary and go elsewhere, they've destroyed a great thing and failed as businessmen, how they get paid so much boggles the mind.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

Not just in Aus, all over the world execs get paid when companies fall. Sometimes it's because of buy outs, hostile takeovers, etc. Letting the company fail is a reward for what the competition is about to scrape up.

Sometimes it's just a means to pay yourself extra while running everything into the ground.

I don't get it. Exec pay should be performance based. Stock options especially. At the same time though, you have to worry about them cooking books or simply firing 20,000 employees to boost numbers. Cause that isn't right either.

"Hey look, I cut our costs so they are only 2% of last year. 100 million dollar bonus!!"

"Uh sir, our company is going to go bottoms up, you sold every factory we own."

"Look at that board again Walters. No costs! Zero. Ha~! 100 million for me. I am genius."

"But sir..."

"Walters."

"Yes?"

"Shh..."

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Well... same as every other car manufacturer.

But well... we're talking about Ford here, its not like you're missing a big deal or any great cars - just pretty much the worse manual transmission on the planet.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

But well... we're talking about Ford here, its not like you're missing a big deal or any great cars - just pretty much the worse manual transmission on the planet.

You obviously have avoided the horror of driving a Chinese made vehicle then.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by markosity1973

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

You obviously have avoided the horror of driving a Chinese made vehicle then.

of course. I'm from europe mate... When it comes to cars europeans do have really high - and I mean HIGH - standards - we dont even put chinese cars into consideration ... come on... but it was worth the laugh

edit on 23-5-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-5-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I wouldn´t say Ford is moving backwards.

Their hybrids are one of the best out there.

They were one of the first who made a decision to go fully on Li-Ion batteries in their cars, while several others are still on nickel-metal ones. This was a good decision, now others are also following their steps, like Toyota.

As far as I know, Ford should be using manganese spinel LIB-s, which are among the best in the market after overcoming the issues on the durability.

LIBs are considred the future of batteries. Their potential is far higher than the potential other battery types.

So far Ford´s steps have been in the right direction in energy department.

Ford´s first quarter this year was very strong. Heard some news about it recently and this year is excepted to be good.
edit on 23-5-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   

So FORD Australia is shutting up shop.
motoring.ninemsn.com.au...

After years of dwindling sales, and with no immediate sign of recovery, Ford Australia has decided to abandon manufacturing in Australia.

...after taking the millions and millions in government handouts..,

Ford Falcon has been awarded $103 million in government funding which will be used to improve fuel efficiency and emission control conditions.

that will continue filling FORD bank accounts.. until the day it flicks its padlock over and locks the gate!

How much profit have they made over the decades?

And after 10's of millions of handouts.. they're taking off, just like the Telstra CEO!

Imagine if you told big oil to get f***kt, and built a pure, 100% natural running vehicle that looks good and suits our time.

You could sell it internationally and totally dominate the market.

But no... you'd rather take the governments money and run off to your retirements.

edit on 23-5-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

You seem to be forgetting, all business is in it for the profits, you know money, not to provide their customer base with a product they want or like, just sheer unadulterated porfits.

They do build things people like, because it gets people to buy their stuff, if they did what you want, they would be out of business very fast, as nobody but a handful want the wastefull, cruely expensive, and somewhat buggy hybrids etc.....

People know and trust internal combustion, as soon as a option that is as reliable and equal or less expensive comes along, many will buy it.

That time is not now tough, so the company must do what is best for its investors, and give the people what they want.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Ford produces one of the best hybrids on the market in North America. I believe on of their cars got some insane mileage on one tank of gas, something like 1200 miles.

I'm not sure why it didn't work out down under, but sometimes it's actual market factors. Maybe you Aussie's just don't like Ford. Not sure.

I know the cars they are producing in NA though, have been updated, nice styling, really well put together interiors that finally met the standards of Japanese and German cars. Also, their black leather with white stitching is gorgeous, and honestly makes you feel like you're in a luxury car.

Boncho, as usual your posts are full of wisdom and intelligence.

I would agree with your statements about FORD, they are doing what the people want, which is why they didnt need a bail out like the other 2 American car companies.

Actually, I believe FORD may just outpace their german and Japanese counterparts in a few years, their new styling is AMAZING!!!!!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
FORD isnt going backwards....MANUFACTURING and AUSTRALIAN POLITICS is going backwards.

Its has been the fault of successive LABOR and LIBERAL parties over the past 15 years that has caused this situation, not just with FORD but MANUFACTURING in general in this country.

I knew this was coming, I told everyone months ago, and it is the tip of the final iceberg of manufacturing in this country.

Reasons why this has happened

1. Introduction of lowering Tarrifs program until current tarriff level is zero. WHY? Governments reason was to create A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD....what a joke! theres no such thing in a Capitalist Society. Countries we export to have huge tarrifs on our products to protect their own industries, but vice-versa, we dont on theirs.

2. FREE TRADE AGREEMENT is a joke and has allowed an inbalance in trade.

3. THAILAND - they pay their manufacturing workers $2.20 per hour which is a good wage for them, and they have offered 5 years tax free for any manufacturing comopany to invest there. I know of several that have already taken up this option and more that are about too.

4. UNIONS - they have their place and uses, but they have screwed many of these companies to breaking point wage wise.

5. EMISSION CONTROLS - in 2016/2017 there are new emmission requirements to be inforced coming in. FORD and HOLDEN were originally planning on building front wheel drive Falcons and Commordores at this point in time (which they never publicly advertised). The reason is you looses 30% of your power/efficiency to the rear differential, in a front drive transaxle you only loose 15%. Emission regulations have got to the point where every little bit counts.

Due to other economic factors, FORD decided to pull the pin and rather than invest and build a front drive Falcon, it is more cost effective to import the Mondeo from Europe. Fords focus will be the small to medium segment in the future.

If you think HOLDEN is safe, it s further from thr truth than you can beleive. Once the next VF COMMODORE has come out and been selling for a few months HOLDEN will make the same announcement. I give them within 9 months. HOLDEN has plans to bring in the CRUZE to replace the Commodore from 2017.

Both Labor and Liberal are guilty of not supporting local manufacturing....they jump up and down when massive job cuts happen, but before then nothing.

When Holden closes, there goes the entire supllier base. Upto 120,000 people will loose their jobs in the greater community.

Its a disaster for the state of Victoria. It didnt have to happen this way. Retaining Tarriffs at say 15% and no lower and reducing company tax if they brought out a small vehicle and they must have an export program would have saved the industry and many jobs.

Bottom Line....Manufacturing is gone...its part of the globalist agenda. Labor and Liberal didnt give a crap while they were bathing in Mining Industry Cash. But now that Mining is on the way down, focus is changing back to the grass roots of this country......except that grass is now burned.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
pretty much sums it all up ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

end of an era in Australian motoring.

the ecoboost falcon delivering 8.5 l/100km is impressive for a large car.

gt falcon is the most powerful and fastest production car in the southern hemisphere.

edit on 23-5-2013 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-5-2013 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

My friend, I will agree the old 4 speed Borg Warner was an atrocity, Ford Australia did improve things though, they geared the T56 right whereas Holden, in it's first iteration completely botched it, the 6th gear was so impractical, one would never need to use it, except perhaps in the NT.

Then there's the ZF 6 speed, german engineering at it's finest, slot that behind the XR6 turbo and you have driving heaven.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Obviously an Aussies thread, but ill stick with my ford pickup...F150 4x4 with extra 1/2 cab....
Im in Canada, and have had better luck with these trucks than any others(and i had a lot of vehicles)
In 28 yrs of logging, they stood the test of bush roads better than any others ive owned.
The one i currently drive, a 99, has nearly 200,000 k and still gets 25+ miles per gal.
Its 4x4 from the cab and air conditioned with white leather uppholstry.
everything STILL works and it still looks pretty decent.
At recent gas hikes to 1.39 CA dollars a litre its still worth driving,to work, though i have reduced my wandering slightly....

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Kiss the nice union paying jobs goodbye forever, happened here in my area, Ford closed up shop a few years back now, the factory still sits empty, not sure what all these workers are doing now, but one thing is for sure the county that depended on the property taxes that factory paid has to look now to the residents to make up the shortfall, tough times ahead for all.

Not to mention the money those workers spent in the area too, gone.
edit on 23-5-2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
FORD isnt going backwards....MANUFACTURING and AUSTRALIAN POLITICS is going backwards.

Reasons why this has happened

1. Introduction of lowering Tarrifs program until current tarriff level is zero. WHY? Governments reason was to create A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD....what a joke! theres no such thing in a Capitalist Society. Countries we export to have huge tarrifs on our products to protect their own industries, but vice-versa, we dont on theirs.

I couldn't agree with you more. On top of that, with the Aussie dollar riding so high, it has created an unfair advantage for overseas made products. The cost of Aussie manufacturing only every goes up, but the cost of buying and importing the overseas made junk has actually gone down.

My argument for tariffs has always been this; If say a washing machine costs $1,000 to manufacture locally at the retail end, it will sell if it is the only price option. The market will pay the price if it is not too ridiculous, the quality is good and there is no cheaper option. Bring in a washing machine from say Thailand priced at $800 and provided the thing doesn't catch fire and shred one's clothes, everyone will quickly forget the locally made one and rave to each other how they saved $200 and how overpriced the locally one made is.

2. FREE TRADE AGREEMENT is a joke and has allowed an inbalance in trade.

Absolutely true once again. NZ signed the world's first free trade agreement with China. I have read articles questioning what benefit NZ has actually got from it. Loads of cheap Chinese made junk has literally poured in NZ, but manufacturers are still awaiting the promise if opportunity and riches that the govt promised them would come about as a result of this deal. In fact, NZ manufacturing is suffering more than ever.

3. THAILAND - they pay their manufacturing workers $2.20 per hour which is a good wage for them, and they have offered 5 years tax free for any manufacturing comopany to invest there. I know of several that have already taken up this option and more that are about too.

I wouldn't blame the country so much, as they are trying to drive their own economy. I would blame our government and afforementioned lack of tarriffs. What the govt needs to do and URGENTLY is ask Aussie manufacturing for a cost breakdown on locally made goods. i.e if the locally made Holden Cruze costs say $25,000 vs 20,000 for a Thai made Mitsi Lancer, then the Govt should put in a US dollar tariff to bring the Lancer's price to the same for a similarly spec'd cruze - the idea being that the Tariff would fluctuate with the movement of the Aussie dollar and keep things fair on both sides. These tariffs should be reviewed annually and based on the average cost of manufacturing locally. These tariffs could be shared by the Govt and the local manufacturing industry for R&D for new models to keep Australia at the top of it's game.

4. UNIONS - they have their place and uses, but they have screwed many of these companies to breaking point wage wise.

Ask any Kiwi why they jumped ship from NZ and came here. Most of them will tell you because you get paid wages you can only dream of back home and you can actually have a life. NZ's economy was ruined by a double whammy of union busting and wage lowering meaning that wages are very low there compared to Aussie. Then they removed tariffs and therefore destroyed manufacturing even though wages went down, a person working in a factory on $15 per hour with no penalty rates allowed for overtime, weekends etc still can't compete with Thailand's $2.20 per hour.

Aussie has got it right in terms of quality of life due to good income, but there is room to move for the unions. They need to start asking themselves, what's more important, popularity with it's members because we got them another pay rise, or facing reality and telling members look, Aussie manufafcturing is in a precarious position. Let's lay off on the pay rises for a bit and work toward getting Aussie manufacturing in a strong healthy position again.

5. EMISSION CONTROLS - in 2016/2017 there are new emmission requirements to be inforced coming in. FORD and HOLDEN were originally planning on building front wheel drive Falcons and Commordores at this point in time (which they never publicly advertised). The reason is you looses 30% of your power/efficiency to the rear differential, in a front drive transaxle you only loose 15%. Emission regulations have got to the point where every little bit counts.

FWD cars are cheaper to manufacture than RWD ones anyway, the FWD drive unit being cheaper to build and easier to install on the production line. Ford could have played with the Mondeo a bit and called it the new Falcon. Motoring writers have already suggested this and if they offered an AWD model, it should satisfy the traditional RWD market.

new topics

top topics

join