It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Democrat party is lucky Kerry lost.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
The Democrat party is lucky Kerry lost.

We can all recite the results of the last four years of bumbling administration.

Ballooning government deficit
Massive ongoing military expenses
A messy and intractable war
Destruction of international esteem
Escalating oil prices
A growing balance of payments threat
A falling American Dollar
The rise of international terrorism and threats against America and its interests.

These will not just magically disappear now that the old administration has returned. These crises's will continue and grow over the next four years. Pity the party that has to deal with it, poetic justice that GW Bush will be in the sights of the increasingly disaffected.

If Kerry had won, the Democrat party would come into power in a country facing some of the greatest threats and problems since the Vietnam war. The Democrats would have to deal with it and despite inheriting the problems would become identified with them.

Extracting America from Iraq will be extremely difficult for Bush. Their actions in Falluja at present have been described by one Iraqi official as killing a fly sitting on a horse's head with a gun. You shoot at the fly, it flies away to freedom and the horse dies. So much for sophisticated techniques for hunting Zakawi and other terrorists. America is only digging a deeper hole of hatred for themselves.

Bush's commitment to lower taxes and more aggressive military actions will start to pull the budget increasingly thin. Something will have to give in the next four years.

In these and other scenarios the republicans as the party in power will have a hard time maintaining their respectability and status. Its much better to wait on the sidelines and watch the government self-destruct. All the Democrats need to do in the next four years is find a strong leader. Maybe the return of the Clintons will be the fix they need.

By me, from here stuffucanuse.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I just love it when people can see a silver lining. Many more to you! Have you seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail lately?

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
All the Democrats need to do in the next four years is find a strong leader. Maybe the return of the Clintons will be the fix they need.

By me, from here stuffucanuse.com...

YOu are kidding right?

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I feel your reasoning here is somewhat sound. One thing people need to understand is that just because we reelected the George and Dick show, doesn�t mean they get a free ride. We gave the Republicans the four more years they asked for and a more favorable Congress, as well. We want, no�, demand, to see some things get done now. We expect results. Blaming it on a previous administration isn�t going to cut it. There better be no excuses and lots of improvements.

The Republicans have the ball and a clear field for the moment. The Democrats are understandably in disarray. If George fumbles or throws an interception it will go badly for them in 2008, in which case the Libertarians may come into a better position.

No, the Republicans don�t have it easy, not by a long shot. Unlike you, I am rooting for them though, because they are the current leaders of my country, and my love for my country overrides any partisian BS.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Well Netchicken,

I disagree with the Clintons. Hillary may have some stuff that is in the closet she does not want to see the light of day. Rove can dig it up if needed.

I will say this:

Bush and his party controll the House and Senate at least for 2 years.

If he cannot turn it around, then I may look at the Dems as long as they do not offer up party hack or stooge like they did this year

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Escalating oil prices

What are you suggesting, blood for oil? I don't understand liberals. They want cheap gas for their cars, but they don't want to drill for it or do what it takes to stabilize the region where most of it comes from.

Is there a pragmatic liberal to be found anywhere? Oh! It's an oxymoron.

[edit on 04/11/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I admit, as a Kerry supporter I've been a little depressed by his loss. However, this is one of those things that gives me some comfort.

In my opinion, in the last 4 years, I have seen the Bush administration passing the buck off to everyone else - Clinton, "bad intelligence", etc - and not taking responsibility for anything that's gone wrong. Certainly, every administration inherits problems from other administrations, and things occur that are out of the president's control - but not everything during Bush's watch can be attributed to everybody *but* the Bush administration.

I'm really hoping that things like the deficit and the Iraq turn around and that the Bush administration, although I highly disagree with it, will be able to do that. In the event that it does not, however, I think the appropriate people need to be held accountable.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
After some comments on the first post in this topic, here is an interesting article that backs up my thesis.

On Nov. 3, as the bleary-eyed nation returned to work, the Treasury Department announced an impending crisis. If the lame-duck Congress doesn't raise the statutory $7.384 trillion debt limit, which was intentionally breached in October, by Nov. 18, the world's greatest power will run out of cash.

Congress, with the White House's blessing, left town before the election without dealing with the debt limits—but not before passing an appalling, special-interest-written, corporate tax bill that will deprive the government of more than $100 billion in future revenues.
. From slate.msn.com...

There is much more on the site which outlines the appallingly irresponsible financial mess they created.

S'n-word' away you are up to your knees in #, and its time to go back to standing on your heads...

[edit on 6-11-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Netchicken, this is scary! There really is NO excuse for this. Fiscal management for the past 4 years has been BAD.

And it looks like it won't get fixed anytime soon.

The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a liberal think tank, has estimated that permanent extension of the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts would cut revenues by around $2.2 trillion over the next 10 years, including the costs of higher interest payments on the national debt.

Deficit hawks contend such calculations undermine Bush's claim that he'll cut the budget deficit in half over the next five years, noting that budget impact of extending the bulk of the tax cuts will take place after the five-year window.
They've called for reinstituting budget rules that would require tax cuts or increases in mandatory spending programs to be offset and rendered budget-neutral. The Bush administration and GOP leaders have rejected such calls, insisting that such "pay-as-you-go," or PAYGO, rules should apply only to spending increases.

Nevertheless, critics of Bush's fiscal record doubt that deficit concerns will slow the momentum for extending tax cuts without offsets.

The mounting deficit, which hit a record in dollar terms of $413 billion in fiscal 2004, "wasn't an issue in the first term. It certainly isn't going to be an issue in the second term, and it certainly wasn't an issue in the campaign," said Stanley Collender, a veteran budget analyst with Financial Dynamics.

The last paragraph is rather frightening...

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   

... Pity the party that has to deal with it, poetic justice that GW Bush will be in the sights of the increasingly disaffected.

If Kerry had won, the Democrat party would come into power in a country facing some of the greatest threats and problems since the Vietnam war. The Democrats would have to deal with it and despite inheriting the problems would become identified with them.

Right on the Money!!

While I am Canadian I was cheering for "anybody but Bush" in the hopes that things could be turned around or at the very least slowed down. It was naive. Four more years of Bush will accelerate developments on the war and economic fronts.

The democrats will inherit an even bigger mess next time around but at least they won't be blamed for causing them. Bush will go down in history as the absolute worst American president ever IMHO.

The quick conscession by Kerry/Edwards with the electronic voting issue hanging in the wind is suspect and lends credibility to the whole Skull&Bones vs Skull&Bones election "set-up" theories floating around.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
The democrats will inherit an even bigger mess next time around but at least they won't be blamed for causing them. Bush will go down in history as the absolute worst American president ever IMHO.

Now Now, the recession you all were so quick to dump in W's lap really belongs to the Clinton administration. There are signs that is turning around. The Clinton boom and his ability to pay down debt, was a direct result of the groundwork done by Reagan and had Bush Sr. gotten 4 more years, he would have had the smae benifits we attribute to Clinton.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Escalating oil prices

What are you suggesting, blood for oil? I don't understand liberals. They want cheap gas for their cars, but they don't want to drill for it or do what it takes to stabilize the region where most of it comes from.

Is there a pragmatic liberal to be found anywhere? Oh! It's an oxymoron.

[edit on 04/11/5 by GradyPhilpott]

Oh really take a look at this chart

Seems to me alot of the Oil you yanks get is from CANADA.

new topics

top topics

join