It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputies Refuse To Give Medication To Woman Who Then Dies In Court "Gasping For Breath"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
OK - This one makes me livid:

Elderly Woman Dies in Court "Gasping for Breath" After Sheriff's Deputies "Callously" Refused to Give Her Medication, Daughter Claims
www.alternet.org...
by Iulia Filip

The deceased, who was fighting a traffic ticket, suffered from asthma -- but deputies accused her of faking, suit filed in court argues.
May 20, 2013 |
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (CN) - A woman died on a courthouse floor because Alabama sheriff's deputies refused to give her her medicine - after arresting her for an old traffic ticket, the woman's daughter claims in court...

Ayunna Johnae London sued St. Clair County Sheriff Terry Surles, jail administrators Austin Nash and Terry Marcrum, Southern Healthcare Partners, and its employee Jennifer Eisel, in Federal Court.

London claims her mother, Dwana Voncia London-Richardson, died gasping for breath in court after callous and unconstitutional treatment from the defendants.

Richardson suffered from asthma and other serious health problems, but the defendants refused to give her her medication, accused her of faking, and let her die in the courtroom, her daughter claims.

www.alternet.org...

This reminds me of the story a while back of the woman who died in a hospital waiting room while the staff ignored her pleas for help.

Pretty unforgivable if you ask me.

edit on 5/22/2013 by this_is_who_we_are because: typos

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

"Ayunna headed to the St. Clair County Courthouse early that morning," the complaint states. "She could not locate where court was being held. She saw deputy (or jailer) John Doe standing at the fire station, talking to a firefighter so she pulled into the station to ask where court was being held.

"When she pulled into the fire station, she saw her mother lying on the ground next to the police car with her legs extended under the police car.

This confuses me a bit. To me it sounds like the deputy took the woman to the fire station to get her checked out. I'm wondering if the people at the fire station said the woman was faking. I can't see them standing idly by and not trying to help. Also why on Earth would the lady be sitting on the ground at the fire station en route to court?

Is there an autopsy report? What did the judge do? This seems very fishy to me but at the same time the woman is dead so I dunno.

Also, I would hardly call 45 elderly. Is this a typo?
edit on 22-5-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

"Ayunna stayed beside her mother trying to do CPR to bring her back for about twenty minutes, but she failed."

Emergency personnel arrived 45 minutes later and took Richardson, who was unresponsive, to the hospital.

If true WTF. I'm still mildly skeptical because not getting the woman medical help and allowing her to disrupt the courtroom (that sounded callous) seems very odd. The jailers would have huge liability and would know that, and I can't imagine a judge carrying on with that distraction and not calling for help or having her removed if he thought she was faking
edit on 22-5-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Link doesn't say what happened to staff. The old slap on the wrist I'd guess? Refusing to give someone life saving medication is...well... It's murder.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Where her body was inst the issue. The issue was she wasn't given her medication while in custody or taken to the hospital. Which they are required to do both. If they thought she was faking she still wouldve been taken to a hospital to be checked out. Not by a jail nurse, but a hospital. Inmates being more helpful then jail staff is pathetic.
edit on 22-5-2013 by Isittruee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I can't answer any of your questions. Everything I know about this is in the 2 page article I linked.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1 " I would hardly call 45 elderly. "

agreed. i am not elderly but i am older than that.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Isittruee

Agree with you 100%. Bastards must pay.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
it was announced not so long ago, in the UK certain medical procedures would no longer be available to the elderly.

many of us are sounding off on how human life doesn't seem to be valued anymore.

check out Rense.com (audio) "the guardianship nightmare"
or the recent "Lifecare" scandal in the USA (news story)
or "the bodysnatchers of New York" (documentary)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I hope she sues them, for everything. She should be a multimillionaire after the deal. Embarrass them all and have them fired. Charge them with murder.

top topics

join