It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Cheerleader Denies Felony Charge for Lesbian Relationship

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

A Florida high school senior was expelled from school and is facing felony charges for a sexual relationship she allegedly had with a fellow girls' basketball teammate who is three years younger.
Kaitlyn Hunt, a cheerleader and basketball player at Sebastian River High School, is facing two counts of felony lewd and lascivious conduct on a child ages 12 to 14 for her alleged relationship with a freshman classmate. She has denied the charges, which were filed earlier this year in Indian River County.
The girls were 18 and 14 when they became sexually involved, according to an arrest affidavit by the county Sheriff's Department.
The girls basketball coach at the high school found out about the relationship, told the younger girl's mother, who also works as a coach, and kicked Hunt off the team, according to Hunt's family.

Story

One part this story is that the mother of the 14 year old is upset that her daughter was in a LESBIAN RELATIONSHIP, which is why they persued charges!!

Hunt's family says the 14-year-old student's parents are angry that their daughter was in a same-sex relationship, and decided to go to police, according to Andrew Gay, Hunt's uncle and the family spokesman. "Our understanding form the other family is the reason they initially pursued this case is because they're unhappy with their daughter being a same sex relationship," he said. "It would appear to be the case if Kate were a male this wouldn't be happening."

Now, the flip side of this is the mother of the 18 year old involved has started an online petition to get the charges dropped.

MIAMI — Kaitlyn Hunt’s parents insist that their daughter, a Central Florida high school senior, is being prosecuted for sex crimes only because her lover was another girl.
The state attorney says that gender makes no difference; the age of the two girls is at the crux of the case.

story

So basically the parents of the 18 year old is saying if their daughter was a male, no one would have pressed charges, so the 18 year old's parents want charges dropped. Theyre basically saying their daughter is being prosecuted for being lesbian.
I disagree, she broke the law, irregardless of the genders of both parties. One was an 18 year old adult, the other was a 14 year old minor.
If it was a 18 year old male, there would be people calling for his castration, why shouldn't this be any different?

Comments? Thoughts?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
14 year olds have no idea what they want. The 18 year old is clearly manipulative. I have no problem with the resolution.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Well these types of crimes are hit and miss. It all depends on the values of the parents really. There is a chance that an 18 year old boy could be charged with statutory rape. I can't say I agree with it either way but to say if this was a boy instead of a girl is not circumstantial.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The girl's were 17 and 15 when this started, not 18 and 14.

The parents didn't file charges until she was 18 to ensure she would be tried as an adult. The ages are important because Florida has an age proximity clause in its consent laws.

This probably wont go to trial.
edit on 22-5-2013 by MichaelPMaccabee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

...she broke the law, irregardless of the genders of both parties. One was an 18 year old adult, the other was a 14

Edit: I just saw a post that says the girls were 17 and 15 when this happened; that changes this whole story then; they were both under 18 so I don't think anyone should be brought up on charges.

Edit: Now someone said they continued the relationship after one of them turned 18...I just can't keep up with this this morning...so never mind!

edit on 22-5-2013 by caladonea because: edit

edit on 22-5-2013 by caladonea because: edit

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

They continued the relationship AFTER she turned 18, thats what theyre getting her on
If she was smart, she'd take the deal and move on with her life

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

They continued the relationship AFTER she turned 18, thats what theyre getting her on
If she was smart, she'd take the deal and move on with her life

No, they allege that the sexual relationship continued. That is what they are going to have to prove in court, and without the 15 year old on board to point the finger, their case isn't going anywhere.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Exactly!!! Thats what I'm saying, The 18 year old's mother insists the whole deal is going on because theyre same sex, ignoring the fact her daughter was 18, and an ADULT

The girls were 18 and 14 when they became sexually involved, according to an arrest affidavit by the county Sheriff's Department.

edit on 5/22/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Incorrect again, the state doesnt NEED the minor to pursue and prosecute

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

reply to post by caladonea

Exactly!!! Thats what I'm saying, The 18 year old's mother insists the whole deal is going on because theyre same sex, ignoring the fact her daughter was 18, and an ADULT

There is no question that this was instigated by the parents of the minor because of Kaitlyn Hunt being a female. They have repeatedly claimed that their daughter isn't gay. They have been against their relationship since they found out about it and waited until they thought they could end it with the courts to play this card.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Incorrect again, the state doesnt NEED the minor to pursue and prosecute

Oh, they don't 'need' it, but they are going to stall without some pretty convincing evidence. They do need a witness to testify to sexual contact or their case isn't going anywhere.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee

The parents didn't file charges until she was 18 to ensure she would be tried as an adult. The ages are important because Florida has an age proximity clause in its consent laws.

No. That is not what the article says....
Straight from the OP's article source:

Why are people trying to make excuses?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
How utterly ridiculous. As if High Schools form two lines with a little wall between them for those who have hit 18 and those who have not? It's absurd. Kids are Kids are Kids and inside that environment? They see each other as kids, as I recall. It's not the radical difference of kid vs. adults among the students themselves.

Momma is bent that her precious little girl likes girls. Momma needs an attitude adjustment as I'll be her precious girl has chosen her path in life ...and giving a schoolmate a sexual offender record to live with, won't make any difference to that.

Not EVERYTHING in this world needs a criminal charge slapped on it, for a life ruined. How utterly pathetic.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
bottonm line is this: one was 18, one was 14, if this gets dropped, then they need to reverse charges on all those 18 year old males charged with the SAME EXACT THING

If it was an 18 year old male, he'd been charged and everyone would have been calling him a rapist and pedo

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by defuntion

That article is wrong. Do a quick google search for the actual information in this case. It isn't hard to find birthdays and names of those involved. It isn't even POSSIBLE for what the arrest affidavit is claiming to be true. Which doesn't impact the case at all, because those are usually just filled with the stories given to the police by the parties involved.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

That's a mighty big assumption to make in saying every 18yr old male in the United States who has screwed with his girlfriend after her turned precisely 18...has seen a criminal prosecution over it.

Rather than call for the head of the girl here in some retribution to wrongs gone by, we ought to seriously question why males EVER get criminal charges within a true girl/boy friend relationship and they're both school age? Just my two cents...but two wrongs never make anything right and it's as wrong against males as it is against this previously excellent student (going by her record as stated).

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
How utterly ridiculous. As if High Schools form two lines with a little wall between them for those who have hit 18 and those who have not? It's absurd. Kids are Kids are Kids and inside that environment? They see each other as kids, as I recall. It's not the radical difference of kid vs. adults among the students themselves.

Momma is bent that her precious little girl likes girls. Momma needs an attitude adjustment as I'll be her precious girl has chosen her path in life ...and giving a schoolmate a sexual offender record to live with, won't make any difference to that.

Not EVERYTHING in this world needs a criminal charge slapped on it, for a life ruined. How utterly pathetic.

EXACTLY!

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by defuntion

That article is wrong. Do a quick google search for the actual information in this case. It isn't hard to find birthdays and names of those involved. It isn't even POSSIBLE for what the arrest affidavit is claiming to be true. Which doesn't impact the case at all, because those are usually just filled with the stories given to the police by the parties involved.

how about you post your sources? I posted mine, I wont do your research for you

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

how about you post your sources? I posted mine, I wont do your research for you

I won't be posting the information of a minor involved in an active criminal sexual felony investigation. Anonymous has it all and it is easy to find if you know where to look.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

What high school did you go to?
Maybe it's just different here in MI. 18 year old High school males very rarely get charged here for a consensual relationship with a freshman girl.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join