Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Easy DIY Ways To Harden Doors & Windows

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Whether most homeowners know it or not a residential door can be defeated in just one kick, allowing a criminal access to your home in under 2 seconds. The best way to add precious seconds to your response time in a home invasion is to delay the intruder. In this video we show you some examples of how to harden your doors and windows to where they won’t give way in one kick or hit with a crowbar.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

I like to harden up with something
a little more bite eee

that window film is quite nice

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I like that window film, too bad it's so expensive. I have several large bay windows and it would cost to get those treated. Thankfully, I have Big, protective dogs and my good friend Ruger.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Pretty cool. I didn't know those window films even existed. Good job with your videos LT, you don't waste time and you do your research.
For emergencies people should keep an assortment of screws and nails along with a cordless drill charged at all times. You might find you have a couple of minutes to do some last-minute mods to slow down an intruder.
What I would like to see is a video showing how a criminal might case your home then examine possible approaches and points of entry looking for cover to hide and weaknesses in your home defense. Something else to cover would be lighting and use of thorny plants to deter entry around windows.
I'll be checking out your channel, the last 3 videos you did were very good and well worth anyone's time.
Thanks for posting.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I have to look into that film for my second story windows. I had a partridge break into my house two years ago by going through the storm window and then blowing apart the main thermopane window ultimately landing on the floor and staining my carpet with blood. RIP poor bird. A hawk broke a storm window before that and two other partridge committed suicide when they hit my house over the years.

There is no way to stop an experienced and determined person from breaking in a house, I thought about hooking up a transformer to the doors and windows, but my luck I would get shocked myself. Twenty thousand volts would deter anyone, even the Jehovah Witnesses.....and your relatives. I don't think that is a viable way to secure a place unless there is a way that it can be triggered only by the conditions most likely to occur in a breakin.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by LibertysTeeth

Good stuff... thanks for posting this. I have been looking at ways to harden my home, and this is a good start.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Interesting... There is an eazier way to blockade and harden a door though. As long as you have a inside wall or even a bottom step (Leading upstairs) you can always cut a 2 x 4 to the appropriate length and lodge it from the bottom/middle/top (all 3) pending how your house is set up.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Looks like my house is as vulnerable as my computer when it comes to windows!

I would go down the local scrap yard and look for steel/iron gates, lick of paint cheap and sturdy - also nicer to look at than a weird door stopper device (probably still cheaper too).

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I like this for home protection.

Works like a charm.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Something else to cover would be lighting and use of thorny plants to deter entry around windows.

Yep, this is one of the reasons we planted rose bushes under windows. Simple solution, that looks good too. (and roses can be used in medicinals). We love motion sensor lighting too (as they can't always be sure a person didn't turn it on, and it lights them up good).

To another:

Works like a charm.

Unless you're sleeping. Personally, I prefer a multi-layered defense.

First, deterrents to make them move on to the next house. (fences, thorns, signage)
Second, things that hamper their ability to get inside.(good locks, good doors, reinforcements)
Third, things that make noise if they do get inside.(alarm, dogs, bird)
Fourth, things that give me time to wake up and arm myself (interior door locks when we sleep)
Finally, reasons they wish they never got inside (firearms, very upset dogs)

Any crook going through all of this, must be really determined, and is going to be pretty disappointed. Most of my electronics are securely wall mounted, we're not big on jewelry, and good luck actually finding where things of value are. The nice things I have are big, like furniture, appliances, etc. Not exactly good black market items.

All of this is really to protect the things that are truly valuable...my family and I.
edit on 22-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
I like that window film, too bad it's so expensive. I have several large bay windows and it would cost to get those treated. Thankfully, I have Big, protective dogs and my good friend Ruger.

Remember, in video 1 we profiled your probable intruder. You don't have to start out by doing all of your windows. If your intruder is most likely to come through the door, do the windows near the door. If you are home when they try to kick it in and they move on to the nearest window it should discourage them from going any further when they can't get through the first _

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
Looks like my house is as vulnerable as my computer when it comes to windows!

I would go down the local scrap yard and look for steel/iron gates, lick of paint cheap and sturdy - also nicer to look at than a weird door stopper device (probably still cheaper too).

However you can do it! Just remember to tie the door into the actual wall studs or the floor.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Pretty cool. I didn't know those window films even existed. Good job with your videos LT, you don't waste time and you do your research.
For emergencies people should keep an assortment of screws and nails along with a cordless drill charged at all times. You might find you have a couple of minutes to do some last-minute mods to slow down an intruder.
What I would like to see is a video showing how a criminal might case your home then examine possible approaches and points of entry looking for cover to hide and weaknesses in your home defense. Something else to cover would be lighting and use of thorny plants to deter entry around windows.
I'll be checking out your channel, the last 3 videos you did were very good and well worth anyone's time.
Thanks for posting.

I appreciate the comments and thanks for watching! If I knew 100,000 more people like you I could do what I always wanted to do when I growed up, make Tin Hat videos!

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Just buy a proper solid door

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by salmonofknowledge

Just buy a proper solid door

I could kick in the "proper solid door" with one kick. The problem isn't the door. Watch the 2nd part of this series.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I guess I won't be trying to break in to your place!

Sounds like you have a good system worked up. I really like the way you have described multi-layered defenses, it's a very practical way to view your home defenses.
As for my house anyone breaking in it to my bedroom they'll find me trying to decide whether to grab my .45, 7.62x39, .44 mag or 12 ga.
They can steal them all if I miss.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Thanks, not at this place, but at our last place, we had two different prowler attempts. That home was rented, and much less secure, as we had fewer options. Still, with dogs alerting us, then with turning on outside lights, it was enough to make them go elsewhere. I feel much better about our current defenses.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   
While hardening your house, don't forget about the garage door. Standard garage doors are quite flimsy and will crumple under pressure from a vehicle bumper. While most garages doors can't be effectively hardened, you can harden the door leading into the house from the garage.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Dude... What DO you put in your birdseed?

Also. I believe, in some places anyway, it's considered illegal to 'electrify' your doorknobs, etc. I remember a story years back about someone who did it, and was charged with reckless endangerment. Then sued by the would be thief.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Slade88green

We have a stand-alone garage, so no entry through there into the house.

Still, think about how much money is in there? Even if your car is outside, you likely have expensive tools, power tools, etc. in there. This is one area though, where I could really apply some hardening techniques. Of course, there is NO way one could enter the garage quietly. Those doors make enough noise, but an alarm would be a decent idea.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join