It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Newly Announced Xbox One can recognise your voice, facial features. Is Always Listening to You.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I have the last release of the xbox and the kinect was good for like a week then i moved back to the wii

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
My husband and I already signed up for the pre-order notification. I personally can't wait to play whatever version of Halo comes next and Bungie's new game Destiny when that comes out next year.

Call me a fangirl. Call me a nerd. Call me what you like, but I'm excited about the new console. Those voice commands are gonna be fun.

"Xbox, scare ATSers." ;-)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Aweome! Cant wait to line up to hand over a weeks pay for an all-seeing eye and all-hearing ear running on years old tech.

Cuz Haloz roolz

Whatever. It keeps Taiwan in business I guess.

Just more of the same recycled obsolete tech (U Force anyone?) stale IP's being remade, rebooted and sequeled to death, mixed in with a healthy dose of Facebook shallowness (at a monthly subscription) and sprinkled with a dash of Orwell and NSA voyeurism.

Everyone needs a hobby but geez you'd think with all these "gamers" (what a stupid label) out there the industry would be held to some standard higher than demand for a $60 remake of a ten year old game with a half dozen $20 "DLC" (the worst abomination to hit software besides DRM) to keep the gerbils pressing the lever until the next $60 remake gets released.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
www.polygon.com...

Xbox 360 Kinect owners had some trouble today watching Microsoft's Xbox One reveal due to device's response to "Xbox" commands spoken during the livestream. Several users took to Twitter to document their problems, which included pausing, opening Xbox Live or quitting the stream entirely. Polygon's own reviews editor Arthur Gies experienced similar problems with his Kinect while watching the stream.

"When the guy on the #XboxReveal stream said "Xbox Live" it activated my Kinect and killed the stream. Good thinking guys." - JChen

Interesting thought, what could Microsoft activate remotely during a live event?
"Xbox, Execute order 66"

edit on 5/22/13 by Cyprex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

The new Kinect can detect your voice, it knows what you look like. It can analyse the room of which the console is placed in. It can detect a lot of things.

This is rather funny, if you've ever used the Kinect you will know how long it takes to get it to recognize anything.

I wouldn't expect the commercial version to live up to the dev model they are basing these estimates on. Just unplug the thing if your that paranoid about H.A.L. watching you.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Well priced at £399 i dont think i will be bothering. Microsoft have screwed enough out of me over the years. And unless it cooks cleans and takes me to work at that price it can jolly well go rodger itself!!!

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
My boyfriend wants one *sigh*
I don't see the point of it to be honest, but then again, I'm starting to hate all technology.
Creepy fact though that it can hear ya while being turned off. Guess I'll have to pull the plug after every use

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Clears throat and speaaks in a voice a la "Wargames"...

Want to play a game?

Hehe...

Seriously... wait till the times come when you can put a head piece on and you can play by thought with "cloud" games able to read your thoughts and project the game in your minds eye...

Those days are coming IMHO...

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'll stick to my Wii U

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
It's all good until they merge an X-box with a Roomba and it follows you around the house asking you "shall we play a game?"

This is exactly where technology needs to go. Button-less.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
i dont know why everyones freaked out about technology spying, we live in a reality where something or someone is always watching. Who cares.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Seriously well said. The gaming markets has gone downhill with each new generation of console. I think the true peak was the ps2 days. Everything since then is either recycled garbage or a game (conveniently priced at $60) that you can finish in an afternoon, but man look at those graphics!

Not to mention the fps market has really brought out and shone the true qualities of gamers. Why bother learning a game when you can just log onto and play against 16 random people? The law of averages says that you should be better then at least a quarter of the players. If not, disconnect and find a new server. Why actually bother to learn the game when you can just unleash unfair hell on your opponents with killstreak rewards that you acquired by sitting in a corner and sniping every poor fool who crossed your path? That's not to say that all FPS games are garbage, but of course all the quality ones are pretty old.

This is why I play a lot of old school sprite based games and rpgs that require a lot of time investment to beat and when I play online I play games that require you to actually learn the game to beat your opponents (SC2, fighting games, chess, etc).

I probably wouldn't have bought the new xbox anyways since I became severely displeased with Microsoft with the whole rrod fiasco. Not to mention the whole paying for X-Box live thing when you can get the service for free on the playstation or even the wii.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

i know right? I mean, it's not like you are being FORCED to use it. I'm surprised it took this long for true voice activation actually.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my ps3 gets turned off, including the power bar supplying the electricity, when not in use.

As well, the xbox one doesn't require 24/7 internet access, that was an idea some executive had, mentioned it, and it fizzled out. This isn't to say it's not eventually coming, but stop and think about it, we're at least 10 years away from being able to assume everyone has stable 24/7 internet. With that, broadband, something completely lacking in coverage and speeds within the US.

I won't buy it because microsoft has disdain for their customers and makes inferior products. i probably will pickup a ps4 eventually as PC gaming is just about dead, and most devs are moving towards consoles because of the closed walled in garden, they have more control. Sure, you CAN pirate ps3 and xbox games, but it's a cat and mouse pain in the ass and really not worth the effort.

The next step is digital only and that won't be for another 10 years.

If you are paranoid, don't buy it. If you want it but are paranoid, keep the device unpowered when not in use.

Or better yet, get half a brain and start inspecting the traffic on your router coming from the device, you can block it you know, you can disable the "phone home" features and only really cripple your online or digital downloaded games.

I suggest everyone concerned over this basically stop using technology, because you've already agreed to let them track you.

Use paypal? They are geolocating you, seriously, google it. Use Itunes? Yup, same deal even if it's on a non mac computer, they are tracking you. Have a phone? Yup, all that data is being collected and sold.

Keep in mind, they aren't interested in YOU specifically, it's demographics, once your data is captured, it's anonamized. It's not like microsoft will be selling data like. Joe Blow played kinect for 20 minutes then farted twice.

honestly i think you should go read the terms for the devices you already own, you've already agreed to this stuff.

Do you have a computer? Obviously you do. Do you have a webcam and mic? Many do. Do you have Flash? Guess what..... you've already given them permission to turn on your camera and mic, listen and look at the images and video, and eventually target ads to you based on that. Next time you get that "such and such wants access to your webcam" popup, ACTUALLY READ IT.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Seriously well said. The gaming markets has gone downhill with each new generation of console. I think the true peak was the ps2 days. Everything since then is either recycled garbage or a game (conveniently priced at $60) that you can finish in an afternoon, but man look at those graphics!

Ehh not really unless you stick to the budget xbox titles, the good games are far and few in between but they are there, and rarely recycled garbage. If you want crapware get a wii, 99% of the games for that thing are crap.

I prefer my games to work, many didn't on the ps2, framerate issues, crashes etc, at least the ps3 can handle the games being thrown at it. The ps4 is using off the shelf PC components so it should really open up the market for more PC developers to move over to consoles. The next 5 years will tell us for sure.

But honestly, look at your post, kinda comes off as "when i was your age everything cost a nickle and everything was better"

I'd almost guess during the PS2 era you'd be posting similar sentiments wishing to go back to NES. I sure was lol.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthermantwo
i dont know why everyones freaked out about technology spying, we live in a reality where something or someone is always watching. Who cares.

Hey... I think it goes abit overboard myself with all the conspiracies and can kinda agree with you somewhat.

With that said, I don't think I'd take kindly to someone if they just sat at the edge of my property with a pair of binoculars and parabolic microphone looking and recording my every move 24/7.

Sure, it isn't exactly the same thing (or is it?) but don't you think that would be at least a little creepy to you?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
DOWNSIDE....YOU NEED A WHOLE SET OF NEW GAMES,CANT PLAY USED GAMES ,OR FROM OLDER MODELS X-BOX........there you go...................i will stick to ATARY...

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
i sure as hell wont be getting a spybox. aside from the fact that by the time it comes out, it will be the equivalent of a low-end pc, i have emulators for almost every console and thus access to a library of 1000's of games. The games industry now is just full of rushed out sequels and poorly thought out re-makes because they dont have the imagination to make games as good as they did in the 90's to mid 2000's, Look at the likes of Streets of Rage and the original sonics, still hella fun to play.

The whole "always listening and watching" thing is ridiculous and anyone stupid enough to buy these pieces of crap deserves the privacy invasion.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
VIDEO GAMES MY ONLY WEAKNESS!!

Well played powers that be well played, but I'm watching you watching me...

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It's still nothing compared to PCs.

Also a tip: Some tape will cover the camera and mic if you want some privacy.
You can remove it when you want to play.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I got rid of my video game consoles.
Not because I wanted to - I LOVE video gaming. Particularly RPG's. But my younger children were becoming obsessed. Nothing sucks more for a child then having a shiny toy sitting atop the entertainment center your not allowed to touch. If they couldn't play, (which was all of the games because they didn't care for the G rated games of their level) they wanted me or their dad to play so they could sit down and watch. They loved the violent games. My oldest boy - who was four at the time I got rid of game consoles - was unable to leave it alone. Even though he couldn't play the games he wanted to - he still hounded his older sister to play them, us to play them - and then he talked and talked and talked only of video games. His particular fascination was with a zombie survival game called "Left for Dead"

He'd say to me when I asked him to give it a rest - "Come on mom. I'm a gamer!"

That was it. I got rid of them. My xbox, and my husbands playstation. "No your not a gamer. Your a little boy - obsess about something else. They are gone - not in this house. Find something else to engage your mind in."

Now I know a lot of you will say - "Why didn't you just keep the game system and restrict him from using it?" And my answer would have to be - it seemed cruel. It was just easier to remove temptation and explain to him he's too young and will have to wait. It seemed more practical for us to make the sacrifice - than to require him to "get over it." I didn't want that resentment building in him. So rather than create a situation where resentment could build because he was restricted while others were not (older children) - I just removed the problem all together.

But when he's older - I'll be getting a game console. I miss them. Very much. I could care less who is watching or listening. I'm not that interesting anyhow, and I've nothing to hide. Watch away. Knock yourself out.
/shrug.

Cirque

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join