It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Request for Information: Could F-16 Strafe Have Been Accident?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Does anyone out there have knowledge of the stick design/weapons selection functions of the F-16? It might help to know whether the strafing of an Elementary School was a result of a mis-identification of target or a simple error having to do with the layout of the flight stick or weapons selection system.

Any help/info would be appreciated.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Most likely the error occured in the planning phase of the exercise. Just remember, bullets aren't guided which means that the only technological insurance that an F-16 can give is an HUD to aim with. Once the bullet is fired theirs no stopping it.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I was thinking something like a finger slipping on the stick. I understand that bullets aren't guided. I was wondering if the layout of the stick or the weapons selector which would ready the cannon could have contributed to the goof.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
From what I understand, it wasn't the bullets that hit the school, but the empty shell casings.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Templarum
From what I understand, it wasn't the bullets that hit the school, but the empty shell casings.

Not from what Ive read. Reports distinctly told of "gouges in the tarmac on the school yard" and "fallen ceiling tiles in classrooms". Neither of those things can really be caused by spent shell casings falling.

Specifically:

The Air National Guard F-16 fighter jet fired 25 rounds at the Little Egg Harbor Intermediate School on Wednesday night, sending ammunition flying through the roof and zinging off the asphalt parking lot.

And heres some (rather grainy and crap admitably) photos of the damage: www.nbc10.com...

And a rather good piece on the event: www.nytimes.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I really don't know either way. The pictures I saw in local papers and on-line showed damage that matches my memories of casing impacts from high speed runs as opposed to direct contact from cannon fire. Especially the hole in the roof; it looks like an oblong low energy penetration at a high incident angle, whereas a round strike would more resemble a pinprick with massive chaos below, infinite more damage than a fallen ceiling tile or two.

Granted, it was an F16 and not an A10, but the 16's will still bring down walls and punch holes in concrete floors. Ultimately however, without seeing the site I can't tell from those few pictures.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The sporadic nature of the damage looks like shell casings more than a stream of projectiles. If they were the projectiles, photo 11 shows a darn good shot -- dead center at the peak of the roof. That's if the pilot was aiming for that spot that is...

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
My reference books show a number of photos of Falcons cockpit with a black yellow safety flip tab over guns trigger. Must be flipped over to press the gunstit. Also a series of master arm switches to take the weapons system off safe.

As a navy mate of mine said who serviced A-4s in the RAN back in the 70s and 80s.......If the'd been hit by the actual 20mike rounds you'd be able to tell...for starters he thought 25 odd rounds would start a fire or two.

But high speed shell casings falling from 7000.....flukey bad luck but possible. But you don't strafe from 7000 feet with a 20mm..so malfunction? or stupid very stupid pilot.

I dare not say "shooting down an AQ glider or little grey mens ship do I?

He also stated while they didnt experience it with the old 20mm it was possible for malfunctions to cause a runaway gun.

Cited examples. 20mm CIWS Phalanx ( a 20mm vulcan cousin) at Pearl malfunctioned in early 90s and fired a number of rounds into a deserted part of Pearl City.
.50cal on Navy LCT malfunctioned on a loaded safety test.

My own .......two occassions when old M60 GPMGs malfunctioned on live fires and continued to fire after the trigger was released. The drill was to grab the rounds belt and twist it until it broke or jammed the gun.

Bit hard with a airborne Mach 1 20mm firing at 3000rpm I guess!

[edit on 9-11-2004 by craigandrew]

new topics

top topics

join