It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome Photos Show Efforts to Preserve Historic Apollo Rocket Engines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
www.wired.com...

Hi All,

I came across this article on Wired.com.

Loving anything to do with space...full stop, I thought I would share what I found.

Enjoy.

Starting this Friday, you can watch the conservation of historical Apollo Saturn V engines that were recovered from the bottom of the ocean. That is, if you live near or are planning to visit Hutchinson, Kansas.

Those of us who aren’t going to the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center anytime soon can check out these cool images of the preservation efforts, supplied by the museum. A team organized by Jeff Bezos picked up the artifacts, which blasted off from Florida and carried U.S. astronauts to the moon, after they spent more than 40 years lying on the ocean floor. The Bezos team still doesn’t know precisely which Apollo mission these particular engines came from.

edit on 21-5-2013 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-24-2013 by Springer because: Added External Content tags and removed excessive quote

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
S & F. Lovely pix!

Small nitpick: Each F-1 engine produced ~1.5 million pounds of thrust. The 5 engines of the S-IC stage together produced ~7.7 million pounds of thrust.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Excellent news. What a waste of resources/tax payer dollars if you ask me when the idiots at NASA decide not to recover the used components. I'm sure it isn't that expensive as some of the other mismanaged programs at NASA.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

It's mostly because NASA is concerned with space exploration, not historical preservation (probably why they didn't see any issue with taping over the original Apollo 11 tapes) so they don't budget or plan on keeping what no longer serves a purpose to them.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by captainpudding
reply to post by hp1229

It's mostly because NASA is concerned with space exploration, not historical preservation (probably why they didn't see any issue with taping over the original Apollo 11 tapes) so they don't budget or plan on keeping what no longer serves a purpose to them.
Well in the name of space exploration they have several failed projects with misused funds (know plenty of contractors who work there). I'm sure they can cough up some for the historical preservation society
IMO.

new topics

top topics

join