It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eve of Attack: Fallujah

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
CNN

A major offensive in to Fallujah is imminent. What are your predictions as to what will occur and what effect this will have on the crisis in Iraq as a whole?

I think this is going to be the bloodiest battle in the War yet. Fallujah has had months to prepare. Assuming the US is victorious, it may deal a deadly blow to the organized insurgent movement. But depending on how much collateral damage there is, there may not even be a city left to conquer. If you thought the body bags coming home now were too much, you ain't see nothin' yet.

That said, I wish nothing but luck for our troops.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Apologies, didn't see the ATSNN thread.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I think this is the battle that will allow the US Government to reconcile our actual casualty count with the reported casualty count. You're right it will be bloody, but not as bloody as it will seem in the end.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
My thoughts will be with the soldiers asked to undertake this mission and the civilians hopelessly caught in the middle. I found this on Fox

NEAR FALLUJAH, Iraq The combat hospital on the chief U.S. base near Fallujah (search) has set up a morgue and doubled medical staff and supplies in preparation for an expected stream of casualties from an anticipated assault on the rebel stronghold.

Stay safe Jason.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
It's a big city

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I think it will be lightning quick with realtively FEW casulties, the insurgents dont understand what is coming their way.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
I think it will be lightning quick with realtively FEW casulties, the insurgents dont understand what is coming their way.

I dont think so, the news said the new Iraqi army is spearheading it, no offense but they are not in the same ballpark as our Marines or the Screaming Eagles (101st) Urban Combat is always a bitch.

I dont think its gonna be a cake walk we will take it of course but it might be after the Iraqi army gets its nose bloody

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Whatever you want to think Ed. I was trained differently, and learnt differently. The most surprising things I have ever read about warfare in built up areas was that most of the planners knew it was going to be tough and at least planned for the worst.

The second most surprising thing (well not any more) was that so many other planners didn't.

There are going to be casualties either way, but I'm hoping the Force commanders are examples of the former kind of planner.....For everyones sakes.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I think we have given them plenty of "Warning". I mean the Government has used us, and the media to tell them over and over that 'WERE COMING", I cant think of too many occassions where we dont just sneak up one night and DO IT. Every day on CNN I hear we are getting ready for a major offensive in Fallujah.....I have heard that for I dont know how many days now!

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Because we hope some of the wannabe insurgents decide its time to call it quits because its too hot for them anymore. At the very least you want them to think they are screwed.

The fewer the insurgents the coalition has to fight the better it will be for all.

Thats the theory anyway. In practice it might not quite work that way

That said. UK Parachute Regiment in the 82' Falkands was said to be mightly pissed at the BBC for prematurely announcing the immending assault to re-take Goose Green just hours before it actually happened.
The Argentine Command reinforced massively by helecopter just before as a result, and what should have been a relatively surprising assault and Capture took the better part of a day with heavy casualties on both sides.

I know its a totally different situation, but....

I can see why military hates dealing with media.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Chemical weapons of various sorts will be used against our troops.Also other large bombs are placed strategically to inflict a heavy death toll on out troops.Thousands more innocent civillians will die, and this all sucks so bad!!

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   

No offense but i think this is blindly optimistic.
I think, if it is like you describe,then the mission has failed,and we wasted a ton of money and time chasing a ghost.
The enemy will more then likely hit and run,scatter into the populace and wait for opportunity's.
Why engage an army that you cannot defeat?
Especially when you have had eons to prepare the wisest course of action?
If they truly dont understand whats coming,then there will be high casulties.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
What happens when it's over? Are the residents of Fallujah going to throw flowers and candy at the soldiers feet? Or will more insurgents be created than killed? The US can never leave Fallujah. If they do, the Iraqis will just take back their city.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
The aim of taking back Fallujah is to try and hit the tillting point which will happen when the insurgents begin to think that all is lost.
I have my concerns I have studied urban warfare quite a bit and
the following are my concerns.

1) our forces rely heavily on intelligence and you can't give intelligence on what you can not see.
2)The men who make up these groups of insurgents have been fighting in these cities all of there lives.
3)The Marines tried to take Fallujah in April and failed to meet their objective
as they lost control of the city shortly thereafter.
4)This town is said to be rigged with traps explosives, tripwires, you name it.
5)These insurgents will fight like we would fight to protect or keep our homes.

Now before anybody gets excited I am NOT repeat NOT saying that it will not happen however I personally believe that we will see more casualties than a lot of people think.

Regardless Support the Troops
and best of luck Devil Dogs Arrruuh....

geo

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
"Regardless Support the Troops
and best of luck Devil Dogs Arrruuh.... "

i have 3 friends over there and i worry for them.I hope everything goes our way and we smoke the enemy,but i fear this is going to be another costly exercise in futility.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samhain
i have 3 friends over there and i worry for them.I hope everything goes our way and we smoke the enemy,but i fear this is going to be another costly exercise in futility.

My best wishes go to your friends.

The only way to take a city very easy is to bomb and shell it into ruble and then mop up the rest. We cant do that because of the civilans. Any way you look at it, its gonna be a mess. Either the enemy will disappear to come back after we leave or blend in with the people and hit and run, even if they stand and fight which would be stupid a lot of innocent people will get hurt and our boys having to watchout for them will increase our casualties.

Any way you slice it you still get crap

Again I wish them the best

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   

By Edsinger

Jesus, I seem to be going back in time more and more these days. Though I'm sure if someone hits me really fast and hard, I'll get over it.

[edit on 6-11-2004 by kegs]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Interesting theory:

A couple of scenarious to think about:

1 edsinger is correct - meaning all insurgents/terrorists/freedom fighters having had plenty warning have decided to regroup elsewhere to carry on the fight leaving a few booby traps behind and no resolution to the main issue

2 edsinger is incorrect - another bloodbath . . . FIBUA being a real bitch, particularly against people fighting for their homes and against fanatics

I'm leaning towards scenario 2 and the death of a lot of innocent people leaving a few more pissed off locals.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Bottom line:
The bad guys are the Sunni iraqis and their non- iraqi allies
Fallujah is being attacked by the US and the newly trained iraqi soldiers who are mainly Shiite fighting for a change. Thousands of shiites were slaughtered by Saddam's regime after the first Gulf War because the US and the UN didn't deliver the protecion that they had promised
These Sunni bastards are the minority who ruled Irak for so many years, being Saddam a Sunni himself
These Sunni bastards should either surrender or face annihilation. The Iraqi prime minister is fed up with this scumbags

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucidvisions
Chemical weapons of various sorts will be used against our troops.Also other large bombs are placed strategically to inflict a heavy death toll on out troops.Thousands more innocent civillians will die, and this all sucks so bad!!

I thought there weren't any chemical weapons over there?

Hmmm...

I am hoping that with the election over that we can go full out and do what needs to be done now. I think that giving them so many chances to regroup was a mistake, and no doubt it is going to be a lot worse now than it would have been if we had just leveled the place to begin with.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join