It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crazy Weather -National Radar (05/20/13) - And TORNADOES IN NY? - (05/21/13) *EDIT*

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Compared with other States, New York ranks number 30 for frequency of Tornadoes

Compared with other States, New York ranks number 30 for frequency of Tornadoes, 27 for number of deaths, 30 for injuries and 26 for cost of damages. When we compare these statistics to other States by the frequency per square mile, New York ranks, number 35 for the frequency of tornadoes, number 28 for fatalities, number 34 for injuries per area and number 28 for costs per area. Based on data from 1950 - 1995. New York in 1970 had a population of 18,241,391 and between 1950 and 1995 had 255 tornadoes. This ranks the State number 30 in tornadoes by State. The population in 1970 divided by the number of tornadoes equals 71,535 This ranks New York number 47 in the ratio of tornadoes to population. New York had 21 fatalities between 1950 and 1995. Compared to other states it ranked 27 The risk of death in any one year is 1 in 39,088,695 This ranks New York as number 35 for the risk of death by tornado . Between 1950 and 1995 the state had 176 injuries involving tornadoes. This ranks the state number 30 among the States for injury. The risk of injury in any one year is one in 4,663,992 When we divide the population by the number of injuries, the State ranks number 35 The total cost of tornadoes between 1950 and 1995 was $194,690,688.00 This ranks the state number 26 The cost per person for tornadoes, in the state per year, is $ 0.24 This ranks the State number 37 In costs for tornadoes per person

Source

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I've lived in upstate NY my whole life, and we get tornadoes every year, obviously no where near as bad as the midwest or as often, but they're not that rare here. Although i will say i think they are definitely increasing, it seems like each year we have more tornado watches/warnings than we used to and I don't know if that's because the weather is changing so much and getting worse, or because there's better technology to detect tornadoes or the possibility of them now.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Just a quick update:

The National Weather Service is now reporting that there is no evidence of a tornado in Copake, NY.

COPAKE, N.Y. -- After severe weather swept through the area Tuesday, it appears there was no tornado in Columbia County.

Trained weather spotters say they saw a tornado touch down around 5 p.m. in Copake, but the National Weather Service says there is no evidence of that.

The NWS says the storm was strong enough to potentially produce a tornado, but say that did not happen. Still, strong winds and heavy rain brought down power lines and some trees, resulting in a few road closures.
capitalregion.ynn.com...

Here is a photo of the funnel cloud in Copake. It's still pretty awesome though.

wnyt.com...

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491
Just a quick update:

The National Weather Service is now reporting that there is no evidence of a tornado in Copake, NY.

COPAKE, N.Y. -- After severe weather swept through the area Tuesday, it appears there was no tornado in Columbia County.

Trained weather spotters say they saw a tornado touch down around 5 p.m. in Copake, but the National Weather Service says there is no evidence of that.

The NWS says the storm was strong enough to potentially produce a tornado, but say that did not happen. Still, strong winds and heavy rain brought down power lines and some trees, resulting in a few road closures.
capitalregion.ynn.com...

Here is a photo of the funnel cloud in Copake. It's still pretty awesome though.

wnyt.com...

Your above post makes me think back to about 1985 give or take, we just bought a new Sony cam corder and we were sitting in a spot ideal for watching storms.

About 20 minutes into the video we wished we were home in our townhouse basement.

Black/Green sky with one hell of an eerie silence.
Kept the tape rolling and the car was rocking back and forth and left and right.
After about 90 minutes we headed home only to find our entrance drive to our townhouse blocked by power lines and trees.

Next day they are claiming on the news that it was not a Tornado, well we knew what we saw so once we had the power restored we viewed the tape we made.

Sure as poop we saw a very large rain wrapped funnel cloud in our video.

So I took it to our local "Environment Canada Office" which just happened to be at our local airport.
They plugged my camera into their banks of monitors and hit play.

Bingo withing 5 minutes of video, they confirmed the tornado but it still took over 3 weeks to be officially confirmed upon further review...

Believe what you see not what you are told.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
We just had tornado warnings all over the Capital Region. I was told I had eight minutes before an indicated tornado was going to be right over my house. F***!, Lol.

No Tornado, at my house. But it was close!. I'm fortunate to be able to watch the storms as they roll in from the west, and it was quite a sight to see. After a while, as the storm got closer, you could see the rotation in the atmosphere, as well as the clouds starting to take shape. Unfortunately, the rain became to torrential to see an actual tornado from my perspective. But it was still a thrill. I was monitoring the latest reports when the news indicated a tornado coming right in my direction, the same storm system I was watching approach. It was all just so random; but at a certain point during the afternoon you could just feel it in the air. I checked the weather real quick and sure enough, tornado warnings were everywhere in the surrounding area. Not long after, for my County as well.

Again, very exciting stuff. But it shows just how dangerous tornadoes can be... and you can never be too prepared.

This is NOT my picture. The picture was taken in Schenectady, NY.

WNYT - Albany, NY - Facebook
edit on 29-5-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join