It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top IRS official will invoke Fifth Amendment

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

If they do grant immunity, it will be interesting to see what she does. Will she take the Hillary Clinton route and get sick a few times, or do they take the Bush approach and simply refuse citing National Security?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
It does make me wonder, though...
If you are granted immunity and your testimony becomes inadmissable, what is to stop you then from just lying on the stand?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
What stops you from lying on the stand without immunity?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It's her right under the law, is it not?

After all, this is a witch-hunt by the GOP, I sure as hell would not want to speak under such conditions, even if I was innocent.

M.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moshpet

After all, this is a witch-hunt by the GOP,

Yeah, that's all it is. Sure sure.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

After all, this is a witch-hunt by the GOP, I sure as hell would not want to speak under such conditions, even if I was innocent.

M.

Sooooo......

If this all goes un-investigated and un-checked (like it has until recently),
then they get away clean and the victims get no legal relief.

Is THAT what we really want as a nation ?

I think many people DO want all that as long as THEY are not affected.

Lois Lerner is a lawyer and a high ranking government official.
Keep that in mind.
AND remember that She was told to "come forward" by Her superiors because some report was due out soon.
She is either a voluntary scapegoat (for future profits like books, speaking engagements, TV shows, etc.), or they have something on Her.

The IRS has become the IR-S.S. Internal Revenue Schutzstaffel "ᛋᛋ"

edit on May-22-2013 by xuenchen because:

edit on May-22-2013 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

They should be worried about having a sudden heart attack, mysterious fatal car accident or committing suicide. They may be safer in custody.
As it is, waterboard that IRS lady. She'll talk.
edit on 22-5-2013 by Dutchowl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
here is a video of Her taking the 5th !!!!

(Youtube caption)

Published on May 22, 2013

Insisting that she's "done nothing wrong," Lois Lerner, the IRS official in charge of the division that targeted conservative nonprofit groups for additional scrutiny of their applications for tax-exempt status, invoked her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination during congressional testimony on Wednesday.

"IRS official Lois Lerner invokes Fifth Amendment"

AND....now even some Democrats are covering their rear ends !!

As the House Oversight Committee commenced its hearing on the IRS Scandal Wednesday, it was clear that Democrats, visibly angered by the decision of IRS Exempt Organizations director Lois Lerner to answer questions, turned on the agency. Lerner invoked her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

Democrats Turn on IRS; Compare IRS Scandal to Totalitarian Regimes

It's all coming out NOW !!

In a startling exchange Wednesday during the IRS hearings before the House Oversight and Reform Committee, America learned that the IRS knew in May of 2012 that its employees were targeting conservative organization with paralyzing harassment and Kafka-esque audits. Although the IRS knew this, they did not report this information to Congress.

IRS's Own Internal Investigation Ended 6 Months Before Election, Hidden From Congress

Still Think this is a "WitchHunt" ?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
So now the flunkies feel the constitution is worth something? Usually they treat it like toilet paper.

They are doing all they can to delay the truth coming out, because they know that the public has a short attention span (or they have already took a deep drink of the kool-aid) and in a couple weeks it will be forgotten.

reply to post by Moshpet

Now I know you are going for some Democrat brownie points for saying that, but really who cares. The Republican Party acts all outraged but at the end of the day they won't do anything.

This is why the system is failing the people, because those who are supposed to represent the people are representing those who give them the big bucks.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Lois Learner, another Bush appointee caught up in this IRS scandal. I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not. Pleading the 5th is something many from the former Bush administration are accustom to. It's well past time for Obama to ax every single remnant of the Bush era.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

pssst - Bush hasn't been in office for years......stop trying to deflect the issue.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

How ironic this is. Its a good thing that the current Obama administration has
not entirely shredded the constitution, so that these pompus lying asses can hide
behind it.

The IRS questions people to know what their prayers are about, but as their unethical
acting public servants are caught red handed they all feign innocence.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

pssst - Bush hasn't been in office for years......stop trying to deflect the issue.

Deflect what issue? Why are you shying away from the fact that the central focus of this scandal revolves around Republican appointed officials. That sir is very relevant to those of us who believe that this entire scandal was perpetuated by the right wing in an effort to sandbag the Obama administration.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

okay then. sure sure

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace
Lois Learner, another Bush appointee caught up in this IRS scandal. I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not. Pleading the 5th is something many from the former Bush administration are accustom to. It's well past time for Obama to ax every single remnant of the Bush era.

She must be one of those deep cover Democrat operatives that infiltrated the late Bush administration.

She was appointed in 2006.

Bush may have had a gun to his head.

I wonder what the confirmation hearings brought to light ?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

LOL

Wow, that is some conspiracy. So are you implying that every official in office who was ever appointed by a Republican is out to get Obama? That is simply hilarious. Now not all the details are out (and likely will never be if the administration gets its way) but come on, the IRS under the mandate of the Obama administration was targeting conservatives.

edit on 22-5-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace

Originally posted by MidnightTide

Deflect what issue? Why are you shying away from the fact that the central focus of this scandal revolves around Republican appointed officials. That sir is very relevant to those of us who believe that this entire scandal was perpetuated by the right wing in an effort to sandbag the Obama administration.

perhaps you should read this recent thread....

New MSNBC theory: The IRS scandal is Bush's Fault ?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It seem like I heard that there are only two political appointees in the entire IRS. The first would be the director who has been dismissed already is she the other? A quick google search indicates that the only two positions in the IRS that are political appointees ( meaning nominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate are the Commissioner, and the Chief Counsel.

The Commissioner is nominated by the President of the United States and confirmed by the Senate for a five-year term......
The Chief Counsel is appointed by the President of the United States with the advice and consent of the U.S. Senate.

www.irs.gov...

I don't see either of these titles in Mrs. Lerner's resume. So are the regime's defenders trying to say that someone who was appointed by Bush confirmed by a then Democratic Senate and then appointed this lady to her position (I'm assuming her position reports directly to the commissioner and there are no levels of command between, but I haven't looked that far in it yet) still makes it Bush's fault? That is truly hilarious.

She probably deserves to go to jail, but I say go ahead grant her immunity, force her to testify. If it's simply politically motivated underlings using their positions to attack ideologies they disagree with fine. Use her testimony to prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. We should assume it's more than that if she is granted immunity and either something happens to her or she still refuses to talk.

I'm all for a Special Prosecutor with the ability to grant immunity and compel testimony.

Regardless of which side of the political spectrum you fall on, the IRS should never be used to target politically oriented groups.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

I agree.

It looks like She was appointed from within the IRSS, not by Bush himself.

I can't find any detailed info on Lois Lerner.

She is deep cover.

The "blame Bush" excuse is still alive and well it seems !!

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

M.

Please don't think because they went after TEA partiers that it's acceptable, a GOP administration could do the same thing to liberal/progressive-minded groups in the future. This scandal was perpetrated against the American people....it should not be seen from a partisan viewpoint. If the shoe was on the other foot, would you also characterize this as a witch-hunt by the Democrats?

If anything, I think the GOP is being too lenient in it's investigation. This thing is bigger than Watergate, Iran-Contra, and especially Monicagate. Those were issues that effected the players within in the Washington power cabal. This thing is a direct attack on citizens and every single American should be outraged this was allowed to go on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join