It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When You Think About It In Layman's Terms

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 21 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
"Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man in the sky, who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these thing he will send you to a special place of burning, and fire, and smoke, and torture, and anguish for you to live forever and suffer, and burn, and scream until the end of time...but he loves you. He loves you and he needs money." -George Carlin

I would like to begin with saying that this thread will most certainly offend some people. From my experience, people whom are of Christian faith, or any organized religion really, simply cannot help but get offended when anyone tries to point out any flaws what-so-ever in what they believe in. Just keep in mind that I am simply pointing out some of the things that keep me from worshiping this One Almighty Lord. I am still fairly new to ATS and on every thread that I post, the conversation almost always turns to God, no matter what the original topic is about, and so I have finally been forced to address the matter.

I mainly want to talk about a few Bible quotes that have stuck out to me. I have, in fact, read the Bible through-and-through multiple times in an attempt to reach God. I have not reached him, and from what I have learned about this amazing creator of all things, I do not wish to reach him. Jesus, I believe, was a great man. A kind man with a gentle heart who taught wonderful lessons which should be remembered always. God, however, is frankly a prick.

"And he said 'Hagar, Sarai’s slave girl, where have you come from and where are you going?' She answered, 'I’m running away from Sarai, my mistress.' The angel of the Lord said to her, 'Go back to your mistress and submit to ill treatment at her hands.' " -Genesis 16:8 So, not only is God condoning slavery, but he is saying that it is perfectly fine to beat your slaves. But we're all equal in his eyes? I think not.

“ 'Look, I have two daughters, virgins both of them. Let me bring them out to you and you could do what you like with them. But do nothing to these men because they have come under the shelter of my roof.' ” -Genesis 19:8 Go ahead and rape my daughters, Lot says, but please don't hurt these men. And God condones this? Is this the loving God that you all worship?

"Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up the road, some youths came from the city and mocked him, and said to him, 'Go up, you bald head! Go up, you bald head!' So he turned around and looked at them, and pronounced a curse on them in the name of the Lord. And two female bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths." -Kings 2:23 The Lord has no problem killing children for calling someone bald, obviously. Doesn't that seem a bit harsh? Would YOU be okay with your children being murdered for calling someone bald?

These are only a few passages that I jotted down as notes, I know for a fact that there are many more examples of the nature of this God that you worship. What does the Bible say about him? That he is a jealous and vengeful God? I would describe him more as sadistic and just down right mean. Dare I say, evil?

Religion, I very much so believe, is just a way to scare people into acting a certain way. It's a form of mind-control that I find disgusting. I know many Christians whom I have the utmost respect for because they are simply amazing people with wonderful hearts who will love you endlessly. I have respect for them, and I have love for them, but I cannot understand how (if they have read the Bible) they can worship this God so blindly and full of trust. Why do you have such faith in a God like this?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by qualm91

Boxxy! Or a Boxxy avatar! Both good as gold.

I love those bible quotes which make God look like a raving lunatic. And no man, not once in my life, has ever offered me his two virgin daughters. Some angels get all the luck.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I've never been offered virgins, either. Total bummer, since it's obviously allowed, haha.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by qualm91
reply to post by Aleister

I've never been offered virgins, either. Total bummer, since it's obviously allowed, haha.

And when I go bald I'll remember it's alright to train some bears to pick off all of the youths who will be following me and mocking my baldness. Won't they be surprised!

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by qualm91

Your first quote is funny and quite accurate.
Also, you seem to talk about Christians a lot, but the book you quote is the book of Jews.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Nevertheless

I'm not even sure if the Bible was originally intended for the Jews, but I don't think it was. I won't say that it wasn't, though, because I don't know for sure. But, assuming that it was, there is no denying that the Bible has definitely turned into a Christian text. The Christian's are the main group that I focused on because they are the ones that you encounter most and because they are the one's who seem to have the biggest group of hypocrits. Like I said, every now and then you find a really amazing Christian who is a genuinely good person. But for the most part they simply look down on other people who aren't like them and tell them that they're going to Hell.

I went to a Church of Christ (Christian organization) my whole life. Well, until I turned 15, haha. And the whole reason why I quit going was because I actually read the entire Bible. After doing this, I realized that they were just picking and choosing what they thought sounded good and taught that. They never dwelled on the "bad" things. It got me to wondering if this is how all churches are. Do they just disregard these passages because it shows their God in a bad light?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
"God" does not have an eternal place of torture in his basement where he keeps souls burning and dying forever. That would make him worse than Hitler. Explain that.

The omniscient, omnipresent, all knowing part is not him watching everything we do. That is us. The human race. Like a security cam that sits in an alley and passively recorded everything it sees and hears, our minds do the same thing. Even in our sleep.

Every deed, every thought is recorded in our memory and will be with us forever. If you hear a scream or gunshot in the night, that is recorded by your memory. Whatever deed or action is perpetuated both the victims and the criminals eyes and ears have made a hard copy of that. On Judgment day all those memories will be opened and all will know without doubt everything that has gone on down here since there were minds to see, hear and feel it.

Just observing...

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

That was a very interesting way to put it. The best explanation I've ever heard for it, actually, haha. But if God doesn't have a place that he has designated to torture the "lost souls" that don't follow him for all of eternity...then what is Hell exactly?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by qualm91

All are quotes from the old testament, Jesus said “Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I came, not to destroy, but to fulfill.” (Matthew 5:17) After he fulfilled the old testament the old laws don't apply. His death brought on a new way of living.

"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

We registered on the same day and you have over 90 posts:0 looks like I have some catching up to do lol

edit on 01/04/2013 by Psych3d3licPsych3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
These threads are so tiresome.

The Bible was wrote by man - not what we call God.

Therefore most the Bible is BS.

Are you surprised you don't relate it it? NO.

So why repeat the obvious?

In regards to the other dumbass questions being asked too....God obviously isn't some man or some physical being, the term God relates to infinite creation, which has had no beginning and no end..We progress our own souls - not some fairy in the clouds.

The whole thing is simple - I don't understand the confusion.

My Irritability is not completely aimed at you OP - Just at pointless area's of conversation in general.

edit on 21-5-2013 by ObservingYou because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

there is no denying that the Bible has definitely turned into a Christian text.

I don't know what that means, to be honest.

And the whole reason why I quit going was because I actually read the entire Bible. After doing this, I realized that they were just picking and choosing what they thought sounded good and taught that.

Having read the whole bible, could you quote the most significant awful things from the New Testament?
edit on 21-5-2013 by Nevertheless because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by qualm91

I found a great deal of Jocularity to this post.

You are right in that there are passages like this through out the bible ( Depending on the Version ).

One thing that I think is funny is how the 10 Commandments are mandated to align your Moral Compass and goes on the say that If you "Sin" and Violate the Commandments that you are going to Burn In Hell. .. .. . And then Follows that up with .. . " We are ALL Born Into Sin". .. . How in the Hell Does that Make Sense?

So, In retrospect, regardless of your "Moral Good Standing", and regardless of your Faith and Devotion, .,. you should know that in the End,. . ..

YOU ARE GONNA BURN IN HELL. .. Amen

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I realized that they were just picking and choosing what they thought sounded good and taught that. They never dwelled on the "bad" things. It got me to wondering if this is how all churches are. Do they just disregard these passages because it shows their God in a bad light?

It is Not about the disregard it is About the Interpretation.

Different Faiths Interpret the Bible (Depending On Version) Differently.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

One word .. . .. .

Revelations

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

The Bible is collection of books that were compiled by the Catholic Church, a Christian organization.

The Jewish bible goes by many names, including "The Hebrew Scriptures," "The Hebrew Bible," and "The Old Testament" (a term employed by some Christians, but not accepted by Jews). We call it TANAKH, which is a Hebrew acronym for the three sections it contains: Torah (Pentateuch), Nevi'im (Prophets), and Ketuvim (Writings). The Tanakh contains 39 books.
scheinerman.net...

Many "holy" scriptures were left out, including the Book of Enoch, The Book Jubilees and the Book of Jasher, books which are cited elsewhere within our present day Bible, indicating that the TANAKH has also been tampered with by men who want to control what people think about.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Having read the whole bible, could you quote the most significant awful things from the New Testament?

Acts 5:1-10

5 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. 2 And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles’ feet. 3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? 4 While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.” 5 Then Ananias, hearing these words, fell down and breathed his last. So great fear came upon all those who heard these things. 6 And the young men arose and wrapped him up, carried him out, and buried him. 7 Now it was about three hours later when his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 And Peter answered her, “Tell me whether you sold the land for so much?” She said, “Yes, for so much.” 9 Then Peter said to her, “How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out.” 10 Then immediately she fell down at his feet and breathed her last. And the young men came in and found her dead, and carrying her out, buried her by her husband. 11 So great fear came upon all the church and upon all who heard these things.

Acts 12:21-23

21 So on a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat on his throne and gave an oration to them. 22 And the people kept shouting, “The voice of a god and not of a man!” 23 Then immediately an angel of the Lord struck him, because he did not give glory to God. And he was eaten by worms and died.

Acts 13:10-12

10 and said, “O full of all deceit and all fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease perverting the straight ways of the Lord? 11 And now, indeed, the hand of the Lord is upon you, and you shall be blind, not seeing the sun for a time.” And immediately a dark mist fell on him, and he went around seeking someone to lead him by the hand. 12 Then the proconsul believed, when he saw what had been done, being astonished at the teaching of the Lord.

And of course, Revelations 6, 8, 16, and 20, among others.
edit on 5/21/2013 by Klassified because: add tags

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

The Bible is collection of books that were compiled by the Catholic Church, a Christian organization.

The Jewish bible goes by many names, including "The Hebrew Scriptures," "The Hebrew Bible," and "The Old Testament" (a term employed by some Christians, but not accepted by Jews). We call it TANAKH, which is a Hebrew acronym for the three sections it contains: Torah (Pentateuch), Nevi'im (Prophets), and Ketuvim (Writings). The Tanakh contains 39 books.
scheinerman.net...

Many "holy" scriptures were left out, including the Book of Enoch, The Book Jubilees and the Book of Jasher, books which are cited elsewhere within our present day Bible, indicating that the TANAKH has also been tampered with by men who want to control what people think about.

So?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by qualm91 there is no denying that the Bible has definitely turned into a Christian text.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Thanks!
Those didn't sound too bad, considering that they shouldn't mess with God, I guess.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Originally posted by qualm91 there is no denying that the Bible has definitely turned into a Christian text.

Yes, that's why it's called the Bible.
edit on 21-5-2013 by Nevertheless because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join