It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing View of Moore, Oklahoma Tornado

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I found this amazing video giving a very rare look at the Moore, Oklahoma tornado. It's actually a very rare look at any tornado.

I created a thread on this because I thought this video was worthy enough of having it's own thread.

The tornado nearly passes over the camera, which is a very rare view, so it's hard to find a video like this. Especially of a wedge tornado.

edit on 21-5-2013 by extraterrestrialentity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by extraterrestrialentity

Tis the season. That was an excellent video. Given that there are no underground shelters in OK or TX, I suppose the only thing that one can do is record the event and hope for the best.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

Yes, it most certainly is.

Though even in it's destructiveness and power, it is beautiful for some reason. Why, I do not know.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Very interesting, thanks for posting the vid. Is it up on any news stations? Should get a Pulitizer Prize in photography, if all was fair. The reason this type of angle is rare is that who would have the concentration to keep the camera (or phone) running as a monster tornado circles near your head???? He's a very lucky reporter (cell cameras give us all reporter credentials nowadays) that the tornado wasn't a couple hundred feet closer to him, or that house in the frame would have been splinters.

edit on 21-5-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008

Tis the season. That was an excellent video. Given that there are no underground shelters in OK or TX, I suppose the only thing that one can do is record the event and hope for the best.

There are a lot of underground shelters in OK and TX. Just not enough for everyone to reach one within a few minutes. But they do exist.

Many people even buy specific prefabricated tornado shelters and have them buried on their property.

Also I have been in some old 50s-60s era underground shelters in backyards that would make top quality refuges from such an event despite being full of cobwebs etc.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I haven't seen this anywhere else but YouTube, however it might be on the news already.

And thank you for the kind post.

edit on 21-5-2013 by extraterrestrialentity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I'm sure that you are right about the shelters. In the couple of neighborhoods I have lived, I don't think there was even one. When buying property for the first time in Austin the agent told us that finding property with a basement or even a storm cellar was near impossible. The cost of digging through limestone made it so.

Up north in Missouri I don't think that I was in even one building that did not have a basement.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by extraterrestrialentity
reply to post by Witness2008

Yes, it most certainly is.

Though even in it's destructiveness and power, it is beautiful for some reason. Why, I do not know.

I actually feel energized, and mesmerized with this kind of nature, as if all of our sins are washed away. Strange I know, but growing up in Iowa and Missouri made it a part of life, an exciting part. I felt somewhat dead when I was living in the Pacific Northwest, simply because a thunderstorm is a rare event. I certainly have not gotten enough here in Austin either.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Interesting perspective.
Looks like an electrical short, and a spark shooting across the street at about 1:50.
At least I think that's what it is. You can sort of hear a pop, just beforehand.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I imagine that person probably thought they were dead and still managed to keep recording.
That was incredible!

I had to keep pausing the video to see if I could tell what all was flying in the air. Surprised there wasn't any cows.

I bet there is going to be an amazing amount of videos of these storms and tornadoes!
I just wish there hadn't been any loss of life.

S&F

During the summer I like to try to get storms on my camera, but I doubt in something like that I would be able to keep filming. That was amazing!

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Interesting perspective.
Looks like an electrical short, and a spark shooting across the street at about 1:50.
At least I think that's what it is. You can sort of hear a pop, just beforehand.

I saw that too! I was waiting for all the posts claiming it to be a UFO watching over earth and its natural disasters :p nice video though

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

It doesn't look like it. It looks more like debris, but still, it could have been electricity. Ball lightning maybe?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
That was shot from an in ground storm shelter. I don't know where the idea came from that there aren't any storm shelters in the area?? After the May 3rd tornado many, many people installed a storm cellar in their garages....just like what that guy was in. I'm 99.9% sure he was in one of these;

These are all over Oklahoma...especially since May 3rd 1999...and I'll wager the makers will see another sales boom.

I just went to the youtube site for this video and he even claims that he shot it from his shelter. If he wasn't in a shelter...I think the medical condition is called; "Bat# crazy" but I could be wrong...my medical terminology isn't all that great.

edit on 21-5-2013 by EdSurly because: added last sentence

edit on 21-5-2013 by EdSurly because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

My fear is being trapped under debris. To be stuck in one of those small spaces with all my children and pets. I would really be scared and the methane, lack of oxygen after a few days... I dont know. It is one thing for family to know you have one like that but another thing for them to be able or allowed to get in to your area to check on you and pull you out is a whole nother thing.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by EdSurly

My fear is being trapped under debris. To be stuck in one of those small spaces with all my children and pets. I would really be scared and the methane, lack of oxygen after a few days... I dont know. It is one thing for family to know you have one like that but another thing for them to be able or allowed to get in to your area to check on you and pull you out is a whole nother thing.

The "lids" on those shelters slide, they don't swing up or out...they slide forwards and backwards. As far as the methane...just keep away from Taco Mayo in storm season

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

I know but if you have 6 feet of debris ontop, well that would be a real problem. I wonder how well you would hear someone under 6 feet of concrete and debris down in one? Scary thought. I like the root cellar or basement. We have neither...

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I agree. If I could get anything It would be a large cellar in the back yard. But I think these smaller garage shelters are only in the $2k-$3k range. A full sized cellar (full sized meaning 8 x 10 or so) would be every bit of $20,000....but that's a guess. So for 2-3k those little "fart funnels" would be a pretty good deal for most people. Sorry, but I just can't get the methane quip out of my mind lol

b.t.w. I didn't mention it earlier but that is an amazing video. S&F for posting.

edit on 21-5-2013 by EdSurly because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I read the You tube comments and the camera man said he was in a storm shelter using his phone. There was a small hole he was able to point the camera eye through.

He also addressed a you tubers comment about a UFO. (In case any ATSer's see the UFO.) He said it was a wire snapping.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I can't comment on youtube, (account tied to my gmail is official stuff and uses my real name), but I was wondering if someone could comment that he needs to share his video with the media.
I also think atmospheric scientists could use his video to understand tornado patterns, especially a tornado of that size.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by EdSurly

I know but if you have 6 feet of debris ontop, well that would be a real problem. I wonder how well you would hear someone under 6 feet of concrete and debris down in one? Scary thought. I like the root cellar or basement. We have neither...

In cases like this one, it would only be a matter of a hour or so and someone would come get you out. Would not be a bad idea to keep a flashlight and an air horn in there.

<<   2 >>

join