It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BowMag - Bullet as an arrowhead

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Ok so the bullets primer seem to get struck when it hits the target, Really doesnt do much if that the case. If your going to bow hunt then the arrow tip would do the same thing, just wouldnt hear a bang when it hit. I guess if your going after wild hogs, then you would need a heavy duty arrow head or in this case a bullet. I dont think they will be able to regulate the Bows. Just more regulations on the ammo, and probably even less ammo than what is out there now.
edit on 21-5-2013 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

This would suck. There is a shortage of ammo where I'm at as it is.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
i like it, it will make building explosive arrows much easier than improvising.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I made bang bolts for a crossbow years ago in 9mm. they caused a large surface wound but would not penetrate.

If there was a way to delay the round going off and a sharp point that would penetrate they might work

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
FYI guys, the manufacturer has a facebook page where you can ask your questions directly:

www.facebook.com/racembac

For what it's worth, at that price I'd only be using them for explosive "research"

edit on 27-5-2013 by setibuddies because: spelling

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
A quick search brought up that hunting range for bows is in the 40-50 yard range. This seems to also be the recommended range for .357 Mag handgun hunting. Both depending on the shooter.

Seems pointless to place a bullet on an arrow, adding uneeded complexity and expense, to have the same effective range that you would have if you shot that bullet out of a handgun.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I know for a fact me and some others chated about this before on ATS.... It's odd that now it's in production.... This is awesome IMO. Talk about point blank range with some force already behind the arrow...

This is a 1 shot K.O. arrow. Very cool.)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 27-5-2013 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Is there a safety issue here. What stops the bullet going off due to initial acceleration. I will need to do some research.

Likely the same way a homemade one does it....a free floating firing pin, so when the arrow stops (hits target) the firing pin slams into the round, no different than a gun. Personally, I think you'd be better off simply firing a bullet out of a gun though. (more velocity and thus penetration)
edit on 29-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This is not a new concept at all, we've been doing this for my entire life when spearfishing. It's called a Powerhead when it's on the shaft of a speargun and yes they can do some damage. When I used to artifact/fossil dive the rivers in Fl I always carried a Bangstick that used a .40 cal or 7.62x39 round on the end of it. If a gator got too close to me one thrust into the gator would push the round back, over riding the spring and causing the primer to contact the firing pin and ignite the round. The same principle works on the end of an arrow as well.

FYI I know for a fact that in Fl this is considered an explosive tipped arrow since regardless of the mechanics of how it works it still uses an explosive charge that is affixed in place of a typical arrowhead. Don't ask how I found this out but take it as truth.

In fact they are even illegal to use for spearfishing in Fl for all but a small variety of fish.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Yeah definitely not a new idea!
Probably not going to be much more use than a decent Broadhead for hunting, but from a survival point of view it could possibly prove a useful addition to the kit, ie SHTF scenario, your hunkered down, armed marauding gang spotted on the prowl looking for whatever they can grab, Loose one of these babies somewhere in their vicinity and they automatically think from the report that you are behind them, they backtrack thinking you have something to fight for, so go looking, meanwhile you have time to either lock down tight, or get the hell out of dodge, and if you are in the position where you simply have no other choice but to Kill to preserve your life, the confusion of hearing gunshot reports coming from all ways would work in your favor too.
so yeah it could prove to be a worthwhile addition, and rather that wasting your good hunting arrows you could always attach em to some wood shafts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join