It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BowMag - Bullet as an arrowhead

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Product Page

Simply secure your .38 or .357 Magnum round into the Bow-Mag Arrowhead cylinder, turn until the casing threads lock in place, then attach to your standard arrow shaft or crossbow bolt.

Neat novelty I guess but if you're bowhunting doesnt this kind of defeat the purpose?

I wonder if states will have to amend hunting regs to account for bullets as arrowheads.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I wonder if states will have to amend hunting regs to account for bullets as arrowheads.

kind of makes one wonder will this be allowed during bow only season? More regs on the way IMHO

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

hi op

Just a tad bit smaller than Arnie's improvised arrow in Predator, and
Quite easy to improvise, not that i would do it (cough) not here in the uk anyway.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Yeah... I see problems here.
Now all bows can be placed under the tag of assault firearms.
At least this is where I see this going anyway.
I really don't think shooting a snubnose single shot at the target would be anymore deadly than using a razor arrowhead.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ga-`tv-gi

Seems a lot of states have a reg like this on the books:

Poisoned or explosive arrows are illegal.
Ohio.gov

That opens a whole other can. The bullet is propelled by an "explosive" (as per USPS shipping codes) but does that mean the arrowhead is an explosive itself?

Lawyers will have some fun and make a lot of money in the not too distant future I imagine.
edit on 21-5-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
It would appear this is basiclly an explosive arrowhead.
I think this would come under the same regulations as explosive ammo for guns.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Now that is interesting. The only downside is that when the bullet goes bang, the arrow should get thrown back almost as much as the bullet penetrates. Effectively you have an explosive bullet. There is also the factor of the additional weight of the arrow to consider.

Is there a safety issue here. What stops the bullet going off due to initial acceleration. I will need to do some research.

Thanks OP

P

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I know for a fact me and some others chated about this before on ATS.... It's odd that now it's in production.... This is awesome IMO. Talk about point blank range with some force already behind the arrow...

This is a 1 shot K.O. arrow. Very cool.

And no this won't be allowed during bow season. I couldnt' see the DNR allowing Bullet Arrows being utilized... This is more urban warfare or Buffalo type hunting weapon. (Buffalo because it's large, you might be able to do some critical dmg to a bear with this)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by teamcommander
It would appear this is basiclly an explosive arrowhead.
I think this would come under the same regulations as explosive ammo for guns.

But the ammo itself isnt "explosive," right?

A .38 in a revolver isnt an explosive round so why would that same .38 in one of these contraptions be considered an explosive?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
They are around $6.50 each + ammunition and while I can't confirm it, they would have to be single use, as in, use and discard. That is an expensive shot. I also wonder how the arrow would take it.

P

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Just my 2 cents -
I think the arrowhead could be classified under the NFA as "any other weapon" like pen-guns...
On the other hand there's no compelling reason for the ATF to regulate arrowheads "capable" of delivering an explosive projectile, as opposed to arrowheads actually containing explosives. The company should definitely get a ruling letter from ATF like certain manufacturers of rapid fire trigger modifications and copy it to their purchasers.

ganjoa
edit on 21-5-2013 by ganjoa because: spelling

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

This is just as deadly as a good sharp broad head. Whats the point. If its any good it just takes the fun out of bow hunting.
edit on 21-5-2013 by EvilDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Does it ignite before or after impact?

I think this will be the defining factor. Just a hunch.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Does it ignite before or after impact?

I think this will be the defining factor. Just a hunch.

It's the pressure of impact that triggers the mechanism.

Instead of a pin springing forward to ignite the primer the bullet is pushed back into the pin.

I suspect the actual mechanism used is a little more involved than that but that's the basic operation.

Like a shark bangstick that flies.
edit on 21-5-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I would thing that it would also make the arrow shaft shoot backward, or crack it.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilDuck
reply to post by g146541

This is just as deadly as a good sharp broad head. Whats the point. If its any good it just takes the fun out of bow hunting.

Agreed, bowhunting has long been a sport for the "soul searching" hunter.
The type that thrives on the handicap of not much in the way of modern firearms.

More toward the OP
In Kailifornia we cannot carry sidearms when bowhunting, lest the taxman cometh and take your bow, jeep, home, Etc...
I wonder if these will be classified as such and if having them in your quiver would put hunters on that side of the fence...

After further thought on the potency of these heads, it seems the muzzle blast would be the real damage and not the bullet. Similar to putting a blank firing gun to yourself and pulling the trigger, no projectile no problem it kills just the same with close contact.
Maybe these things would be more effective with blanks??
Any ballistic number cruncher type care to weigh in on the thought??

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilDuck

I would thing that it would also make the arrow shaft shoot backward, or crack it.

In this video he sticks a wild pig with one and the arrow stays put:

The shaft may warp or crack but without something to enclose the force of the bullet the shaft wont fly back. Certainly not with any range or accuracy. Maybe just flip out a couple of feet.

Think of bullets in a fire. The cases dont go zooming too and fro.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I think it would damage the shaft. And I still think I will stay with my old broad heads.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Also the thing they put it in looked like plastic. So do you have to buy a new one when it gets shot off?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilDuck

Many questions and ideas on these heads.
I think they have just enough mass and inertia to keep them from flying too far backwards, but that raises another point, of sacrificing forward momentum for the pop from the equivalent of a snub nose gun. Seems counterproductive.
As far as how many shots, just look at polymer guns, those shoot meeeeelions of rounds.
Many questions for me that lead to just more.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join