It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: There's no longer time for excuses for black men

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
There never really was time for excuses. Not now. Not ever. He's just propagating the same foolishness that for some reason just keeps rearing its head ad nauseum due to exactly this kind of thing, to an audience he thinks can relate, and perversely this keeps it alive. Why is now all of a sudden the time? It was always"time.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I always thought Obama was pushed into the presidency, before he was ready, for numerous reasons, didn't vote for him in 08, but I think he has grown into the role.

This speech is a good indicator.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
There never really was time for excuses. Not now.
It wasn't that long ago, Rosa Parks said "no".
Unbelievable as it may seem, many Americans today still haven't heard her words.
Listen , Lucidity, Listen.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Obama: There's no longer time for excuses for black men

Ironic, must be the white half of him that keeps coming up with excuses for everything that is going wrong around him.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

What he said is true, it's time for blacks to grow up, they are keeping themselves down by following a culture of hopelessness and self imposed poverty. Obama seems to be quite inspirational for many blacks, and his speech hopefully would have a positive effect on many blacks.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I agree that excuses should stop you from achieving what it is you want to achieve. But lets not for one minute think a few centuries of slavery doesn't play a role in the plight of black americans today. From slavery to the jim crow south if your not a black person in america how can you even begin to understand what its like. What obstacles your up against. You cant equate irish italian and other european immigrants struggle to those of the freed american blacks. They could assimilate into the population. Its hate to hide your skin color. We're talking three or four generations off. Im not saying the white man or tptb should be used as a crutch throughout your life. I feel blacks have regressed from the civil rights days and I blame that on a number of things I will not go into. Dont want to derail the op. I respect what he said in the speech but thats all it is pretty words. Changes arent made with pretty speeches or food stamps its made with actions self pride and hard work. All these race related threads ive seen lately is starting to bother me. One guy on here said I have civilized black friends and I thonk he actually think he thought his words we supportive to blacks. I heard someone compate the black plight to settling the plains. Really!? My words to black mem and women around the world is take care of your families live righteous embrace love peace and forgiveness and in my eyes you have lived a rewarding life. Dont equate making it to our western ideas of success. Thats the new slavery. Invisible chains.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MySkinsWhite
reply to post by ecoparity

There usually a greyhound bus depot pretty nearby were you at.

The people way out in the country and other poor neighborhoods make it to new places to find work. Ex-Irish slaves and fresh Irish immigrants were some of the lot who were discriminated against for jobs, and lived in poor neighborhoods, but within a few generations nearly all were around middle class, through hard work and having an iron will to move around and find a way to feed yourself and your multiple offspring which you knew you couldn't afford.

Christ you think you got it bad? How about the pioneers who settled the great plains. Constant Indian threat, the race against time to grow some food and build a shelter before winter, quite the life. They did it though because there was no opportunity in there homeland, and they were oppressed there.

200-300 years to build two of the most prosperous countries (Canada and US) in the world out of wilderness.

I see none of that spirit in the 'ghettos' and inner cities.

Don't know why I'm bothering to reply to a spurious account but apparently my previous post flew right over your head at high speed.

Even though you won't get it I'll try to relate the same concept in a way you can understand.

"There isn't one single window, door or balcony at the White House that affords one a view of a trailer park".

To the man living in that house, a trailer park is an abstract concept based on pictures in his head.

What Obama said was absolutely correct. Unfortunately, he's wasting his time in saying it. The people who need to hear it the most will not relate and probably aren't listening anyway.

It's all about perspective.

Do you really think he would make that same speech if he was standing in front of an inner-city project surrounded by the people he's directly talking to? I don't think so, at least not without a huge number of heavily armed men between him and his audience.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Lamegame

Self imposed poverty. Explain please.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

YPs I’m not sure if you’ve heard of this story Urban Prep, a charter school in one of the toughest neighborhoods in Chicago that has managed to get 100% of their first senior class admitted into a 4 year college or university. This is truly an inspiring story for a lot of young men and women that are growing up in communities with limited resources and environments that really aren’t geared towards getting an education beyond high school diplomas. Stories like this excite me. Dr. Boyce Watkins put it best, “When black males put the same intensity into academic achievement that we put into dribbling basketballs and throwing footballs, we are truly phenomenal. The young men at Urban Prep will have longer, more financially-rewarding careers than they would have had by pursuing their hoop dreams at the expense of everything else. They will also be well-positioned to be effective and relevant leaders in the 21st century. Being a great athlete can make you powerful, but being a great thinker makes you EMPOWERED.” Read Dr. Boyce’s article as well because he makes some good points as well in highlighting this great story regarding Urban Prep.
I think schools across the nation need to follow the blueprint behind Urban Prep’s success and implement it immediately. Kudos to Tim King and staff for investing in the youth’s education and equipping them with the tools and understanding to excel in the classroom. The article below was written by Duaa Eldeib a reporter for the Chicago Tribune. Enjoy this feel good story YPs and make sure you share this story with future YPs and others.

ypblogspot.com...
In depressed communities even African American ones solutions can be found, standards set and live up to but for goodness sake stop warehousing them in Jail and treat a color as a criminal badge, and Obama-san where are all those Urban renewal green jobs..oh yeah you fired the guy in charge Van Jones because Glenn Beck yelled at you..but you are great at giving inspirational speeches thanks for the pep talk.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by theconspirator
Man, Obama gives an excellent speech, telling these young black kids the truth. Exactly what they need to hear. And people on here still find a way to bash him. Your hatred for him in every aspect is unbeleivable. Hate his policies that you dont agree with, but dont hate the man personally. That is what makes you unfit to discuss grown up politics.

And the blind hatred illuminates their true feelings. They will yell that it's strictly about his policies...as if this country changed over night with his election.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoStarchild

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
reply to post by LeoStarchild

Obama being part of a black liberation group is a good thing.

The issue is what do they need liberating from?... In todays world its hard to see what they need liberation from. It may seem themselves.. to an extent.

In Jamaica teen single motherhood is also prevelant or quite common.

In the UK plenty of women .. not the majority a miniority tend to leave men out of the responsibility package with regards to children.

If anything these women are just protecting the men from the " hard work".

Wow seriously?? Im a single father .. My sons mother is a promiscuous tramp. You have fallen for the scam that is Obama, hook line and sinker..

Assuming your a black Jamaican, Just because your black doesnt make understand the whole black liberation thing, If its liberation from 'slavery' ...news flash .. everyone from every race has been slaves. Yes even whites.

The key being that others who were slaves weren't indoctrined to believe they were less than human and subjected to Chattel Slavery.

Whites were slaves, yet they don't have to deal with issues such as driving while black or employers having a secret "no dreadlocks" policy or OTHER cultural things which segregate them.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Im not stressed, but thank you,

I just have a hard time believing in anything that comes out of his hole. He has no business giving speeches like this considering he has done nothing to show hes qualified to give advice or anything for that matter. And someone else wrote the speech if it even matters to the obots.

Heads would roll if this were given by a cracker.

How has he not "done anything to show hie's qualified"? Is he on welfare? If I'm not mistaken he is the President of the U.S.? Rather you like it or not lol...

And yes heads would roll if it were given by a cracka...same as if myself as a man told rape victims to just suck it up and move on. However ANOTHER rape victim can do this.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MySkinsWhite
reply to post by ecoparity

There usually a greyhound bus depot pretty nearby were you at.

The people way out in the country and other poor neighborhoods make it to new places to find work. Ex-Irish slaves and fresh Irish immigrants were some of the lot who were discriminated against for jobs, and lived in poor neighborhoods, but within a few generations nearly all were around middle class, through hard work and having an iron will to move around and find a way to feed yourself and your multiple offspring which you knew you couldn't afford.

Christ you think you got it bad? How about the pioneers who settled the great plains. Constant Indian threat, the race against time to grow some food and build a shelter before winter, quite the life. They did it though because there was no opportunity in there homeland, and they were oppressed there.

200-300 years to build two of the most prosperous countries (Canada and US) in the world out of wilderness.

I see none of that spirit in the 'ghettos' and inner cities.

What do you mean you see none of that spirit in the ghetto? There's plenty...just so happens they find employment that our government makes illegal because it can't be controlled...drugs. There are some people who say ## the system and make a fine living through "illegal" activities.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
reply to post by LeoStarchild

How rude. The fact that I dont understand how the leftists think in the usa is due to the fact that I dont live there...

It does go hand and hand. If i were to speak of say...how Russia handles certain things as if I "know" when in fact I dont,.. I would look pretty stupid.

The left have managed to infiltrate our voting in this country. The right have too but the left are better at it. Foodstamp Queens and others on the government handouts have pretty much sealed the deal for democrats. Secrecy and deception has run rampant through our halls of congress. Obama was elected on hopes and dreams and NO ONE knew who he really was..

Your typical Obama voter..

And most of all .. for a man to tell other men to 'man' up .. who cant even do so himself is disturbing to say the least.

This is such utter crap. I am a 35 year old white man from rural New Hampshire who was raised by both my parents and have never been on the government dole as long as I have been alive. I am the typical Obama voter. Obama appealed to the youth of America... when I was standing in the three hour line outside our local church to vote for Obama, I was AMAZED by the number of WHITE college students who were campaigning for Obama... the idea that this is your 'typical' Obama voter is a freaking joke... I could find plenty of off the wall Romney voters who put up youtube videos too...

Pathetic.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I think everything comes down to parental guidance. When you have old school parents who are caught up in the past teaching children from day one, how they got the raw end of the deal due to slavery, than it is quite obvious that there will be problems.

Some people will never let go the past, and in saying so, they will never be free…

edit on 22-5-2013 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Ah yes, because there is a black president, this means American society is now magically post-racial. And since a black man said, it must be true! I'm not saying people should not be held accountable for their actions and possible transgressions, or even apathy in their life pursuits. However, we can't blindly say that racial and socioeconomic variables are no longer a part of the game. People need to understand that our lives are not entirely social nor are they entirely individual. One must also take into account the historical timeframe in which we live. As many things evolve, so too can the subtlety of racism.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright
How has he not "done anything to show hie's qualified"? Is he on welfare? If I'm not mistaken he is the President of the U.S.?

Do you REALLY want to go there? Just holding a position doesn't make someone qualified for it. Lots of people are promoted past their ability level. He was NOT qualified for the job when he was elected. It was painfully obvious. Obama is up to his eyeballs in corruption and scandal and incompetent decisions. It would be VERY easy to make the case that he isn't qualified.

That being said. The SPEECH is the discussion and I think it was a good one. As someone else said .. it would have been better to a high school crowd and it's unclear if he wrote it or if his speech writer did the job for him ... but it was a good speech.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Ohhh boy, man it is shocking to see how misinformed n disillusioned many of you internet talkers are, its so easy for someone on top to give a "speech" and tell others i did it you could do it to, "just work hard" ....hahaha....that line cracks me up all the time. make no mistake segregation and racism is still very much prevalent, it has just taken a whole different form. but alas you secret internet racists go ahead with your demeaning "blacks need to stop blaming" "blacks need to get over it" and yada yada comments, since it makes you feel better to vent anonomously about how much u hate the "colored folk" online...

A day will come when the wounds of black people will heal and we will again rise up.....in due time.....who am i kidding like they really would allow that to happen. :-/

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
When we there ever a time for that kinda thing, Stop blaming all your problems on other people and get you act in gear. Naybe if the so called black leaders spent a little less time, going around tellin black people how bad that were mistreated and who to blame, that should tell them to stop blaming other people and take some god dam persona lresponsability. i suck at spelling

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Yes, they are both putting 110% into commencements speeches outside of DC.
It's too hot inside DC right now so Michele is going to excape to Martha's Vineyard on extended stay until end of summer with the girls.
Google "extended stay Michelle"...
You are all being coned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join