It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is This Still America?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
This video is very compelling. And in it Mr. Brady makes a strong statement that made me feel nothing but embarrassment for our once great country. And we wonder why America is no longer considered the great country it once was? Let this be an example of why.

"Is this still America? Is this government so drunk on power that it would turn its full force, its full might to harass, intimidate and threaten an average American who only wants her voice and their voices heard?

Catherine Engelbrecht, a very articulate woman, was an active Tea Partier. But this had nothing to do with the organization that she created, True The Vote, or its intent. In July of 2010, Catherine applied for nonprofit status of True The Vote, a non partisan organization. Their primary intentions were to stop voter fraud through the use of monitors and engaging citizens to be proactive.

The results:

She had 17 visits with alphabet agencies, which include the IRS, OSHA, FBI domestic terrorism unit, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives twice. The cost to her? Hundreds of thousands of dollars! Her family business operated for 20 years without being audited. This changed the day she filed her non profit application. The ATF even had her open her safe!

But this video fails to mention that she was also targeted by lawsuits from, the Democratic Party of Texas, the ACORN front group, and Houston Votes. These lawsuits accused her of being racist by "preventing people of color from having a voice". May I ask since when is protecting the honesty of our elections, racism?

What had True the Vote done? What “crime” had they committed to receive such attention? They had simply pointed out the irregularities in voter registrations submitted by ACORN’s front group, Houston Votes, and irregularities in Democratic Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee’s district

Many of the group’s members began to realize that the polling places and election judges who depended on community volunteers weren’t receptive to all volunteers -- they wanted Democratic volunteers. The group soon learned why.

There were instances of election judges who told voters who they should and should not vote for, many voters were allowed to vote without any form of identification at all -- a clear violation of Texas law, etc. Engelbrecht and her King Street volunteers decided to do what the Left seems to hate; they decided to “snitch.”

The local authority tasked with election matters was the Harris County Tax Assessor and Voter Registrar, Leo Vasquez.

Vasquez announced in a press conference on August 24th 2010 that his investigation of only 24,000 registrations, the number of registrations from the previous month, only 7,000 were new voters. He stated that the other 17,000 were problematic.

Vasquez went further to state “Evidence shows that the Houston Votes and Texans Together organization is conspiring in a pattern of falsification of government documents, suborning of perjury and a deliberate effort to over-burden our processing system with thousands of duplicate and incomplete voter registration applications...”

The Left's War on True the Vote and Catherine Engelbrecht: Where It All Began
edit on 21-5-2013 by Gemwolf because: Fixed typo

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
yes

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
If you don't have a problem with having "monitors" at polling places, I take you also don't have a problem with background checks when buying a gun?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Q: Is This Still America?
A: Not since November 22,1963.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

These lawsuits accused her of being racist by "preventing people of color from having a voice".
May I ask since when is protecting the honesty of our elections, racism?

The 'racism' card is played when the opponents don't want the other team to promote honesty in the elections.
Afraid of what the out come may be.

I'm an Independent but I have noticed the Dems any more are quick with playing that hand.

The race bait is a low down form of manipulation that is being abused by TPTB to bully their opponents into submission.
Tacky and pitiful IMO

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

A monitor got me a vote the year mine was stolen. She ran into me as I was getting into my car and muttering about how my vote was stolen before I even voted. You see, I hadn't voted for many years prior to this. But surprise! Somebody showed up that year!

And may I ask what background checks have to do with this subject? My opinion on any other political matter has nada to do with the topic at hand.

edit on 21-5-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

America is no longer considered the great country it once was? Let this be an example of why.

America is not a country, it's a continent.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Ignore Muse.

He is a slave to partisan politics and enjoys derailing threads when he feels threatened.

On Topic:

I think the biggest problem with America right now is that people are now being persecuted for how they think. More and more we see the Government cracking down on dissent and freedoms we used to take for granted. Not only is it frightening, but people are so apathetic these days that they just sit there with a glazed look while a corrupt government eats them alive.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
reply to post by elouina

America is no longer considered the great country it once was? Let this be an example of why.

America is not a country, it's a continent.

North America and South America are continents - together they are often referred to as The Americas. The United States of America is a country that is commonly called "America". It is the only country that uses the word America in its proper name. Likewise Estados Unidos Mexicanos is a country more commonly known as "Mexico." Those are not their proper names but are their widely accepted common names. People are often confused by the two similarly named continents. It happens.

Yes, it is still "America" but is not "Ameica" as in the thread title, which I am assuming is a typo.

edit on 21-5-2013 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

According to some its "murica"

I guess that bigoted slur is perfectly ok to use these days. I'm not exactly sure yet.

I can tell you 2 sure fire ways to know when its not "America" anymore.

1: It's the day when you realize you're being made to feel like a f***n criminal in your own home and you've not done a damn thing wrong.
2. When it seems that everything good, just and moral you were taught is turned on its head and upside down.

Ever feel that way? Like you're in the friggin twilight zone? Maybe a little lost ? Scared? Worried someone is going to harm you for speaking your mind, possibly hunt you down and lock you up in some # hole somewhere for telling the truth or having an opposed opinion maybe? Possibly target your income, or...put you on a list somewhere so that if you try to work, travel or do anything that involves money you're suspect and rejected ? How about surfing the internet and seeing the exact things you were just talking about suddenly appear in news feeds or news broadcasts? Oh, cant forget little things like... people claiming their rights were violated or laws were broken and new ones were written to cover asses? Whirlybirds over your neighborhood all week maybe? Hostility from complete strangers?

Hmm, wonder where that's happening, cause that would really suck right? Meh... Its probably nothing though. That actually may just be a little healthy paranoia. You know, go easy on the sugar or something and try to avoid using esoteric speech. You'll be ok.

I think.
Or if it suits you run like hell. better to get the creepyness out. whichever happens first.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
Catherine Engelbrecht, a very articulate woman, was an active Tea Partier. But this had nothing to do with the organization that she created, True The Vote, or its intent. In July of 2010, Catherine applied for nonprofit status of True The Vote, a non partisan organization. Their primary intentions were to stop voter fraud through the use of monitors and engaging citizens to be proactive.

The results:

She had 17 visits with alphabet agencies, which include the IRS, OSHA, FBI domestic terrorism unit, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives twice. The cost to her? Hundreds of thousands of dollars! Her family business operated for 20 years without being audited. This changed the day she filed her non profit application. The ATF even had her open her safe!

Forgive me for asking - this might be a stupid question, but I am not that familiar with how these agencies operate. But why would it cost her hundred of thousands of dollars?
If your IRS works, like I think it does, aren't the hundred of thousand of dollars just money, that she was supposed to pay anyway?

I agree with those who say it is unfair of these agencies to target groups with specific views. But I imagine, that it shouldn't cost anybody anything, unless they are actually doing something wrong? - or did I misunderstand something.

In regards to your question in the title - Yes, I think your country is still the same. Frankly I never thought it was that great to begin with, and the times when it might have seemed like it was, it was usually at the cost of some minority's happiness.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

End thread. You said what I was thinking.

Truth.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nephalim
I can tell you 2 sure fire ways to know when its not "America" anymore.

1: It's the day when you realize you're being made to feel like a f***n criminal in your own home and you've not done a damn thing wrong.
2. When it seems that everything good, just and moral you were taught is turned on its head and upside down.

Perhaps today I am not personally affected by this. But should we sit and watch our neighbors house burn? Because eventially it will get big enough to engulf the entire neighborhood. So maybe it is still America for you, but for others, they are still waiting for the help to arrive to douse the flames

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro

Yes, it is still "America" but is not "Ameica" as in the thread title, which I am assuming is a typo.

No, I typed it right. It's a conspiracy by those democratic mods I tell ya. Before I took my nap the thread title was, "Alert ATS Mods Changing Topic Titles" Next thing, you would be telling me that they changed my original post also. Oh Oh.....

Ps, thanx mods for the quick fix.

edit on 21-5-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

The United States of America is a country that is commonly called "America". It is the only country that uses the word America in its proper name.

And that is a mistake. Outside USA, most of the people understand it.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Catherine Engelbrecht made it a point to say "non-partisan" in that video...anyone wondering why??? It's because her group is actually a very very partisan group, and that isn't allowed for a tax exempt group.

The reason she is being sued is because her group "investigated" voter fraud...but she only seemed to target the largest and poorest black districts for their investigations. Texas is a large place with a lot of white people...and yet she only targeted black districts. She also got involved in the Wisconsin recall election...what was her involvement? She wanted to start to investigate all the signatures on the recall petition to verify that it was valid to be on the ballot. Now why is a person from Texas that claims she is non-partisan concerned about the Republican Governor of Wisconsin being recalled?

The fact is that Catherine Engelbrecht is a partisan hack trying to game the system to run her political "investigations". This is the reason her tax exempt status has not been granted yet. Do you want proof that she is actually partisan....she double talks by claiming her actions are non-partisan, but then complains that she was targeted because she her group is a Conservative group.

Oh, and the hundreds of thousands of dollars she had to pay...it was because she was trying to cheat on taxes or getting fined for illegal activities in her other businesses.

So please don't try to play this off as a poor little Texas women getting harrassed by the Government...she is trying to game the system and she got caught.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by flobot

You asked if I wanted proof of partisanship of Catherine's organization. Well if you are going to accuse her of something, don't you think proof should have been provided along with the accusations?

Concerning the lawsuits. Does everything have to be white vs. black? Often times charity type work often involves going into poorer neighborhoods that have a greater need. Or is it that the need is only for help from democrats? Once again lets see your proof. You seemed to take up a lot of forum space accusing this woman of things but providing no proof.

Observing how understaffed polling places seemed to encourage voter fraud, she established True the Vote to train poll workers to “true” the vote: “to research the voter rolls in their home districts and to report inaccuracies to their County and State, to identify instances of vote fraud, and to be able to serve as observers at the polls to assure the integrity of the vote.”

True the Vote Files Suit Against the IRS

You also question her involvement in Wisconsin. Her organization is a nationwide effort that got its roots in Texas. Election fraud happens in more places than just Texas you know.
And you should be happy that her organization is concerned about the keeping elections fair. My feelings? Democrat, republican, I don't care who it is, or their party affiliation, just stamp out election fraud. So, why are you so concerned about a person that wants to fight election fraud? If there is no fraud, there is nothing for anyone to fear from this woman. Perhaps you think election fraud is a good thing when it involves your party? Is this why you are so upset?

You also accuse her of tax fraud and say she was fined? Well? Cough... cough... hint... hint... proof would be nice..

Now she was fined by OSHA. But with this type of inspection, if they look close enough they can find something on anyone. The inspector complimented her on her tight ran ship, then turned around and fined her. She was targeted, so what would you expect them to do, donate to her cause and hand her flowers?

That was in February. In July, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration paid a visit to Engelbrecht Manufacturing while Bryan, Catherine, and their children were out of town. The OSHA inspector talked with the managerial staff and employees, inspecting the premises minutely. But Bryan says the agent found only “little Mickey Mouse stuff, like, ‘You have safety glasses on, but not the right kind; the forklift has a seatbelt, but not the right kind.’” Yet Catherine and Bryan said the OSHA inspector complimented them on their tightly run shop and said she didn’t know why she had been sent to examine it.

Not long after, the tab arrived. OSHA was imposing $25,000 in fines on Engelbrecht Manufacturing. They eventually worked it down to $17,500, and Bryan says they may have tried to contest the fines to drive them even lower, but “we didn’t want to make any more waves, because we don’t know [how much further] OSHA could reach.”

True Scandal

Considering that this woman was targeted by a handful of agencies, I think she handled it pretty well. She was not gaming the system, the system was gaming her. And all the proof you need will come out in her lawsuit. Lets revisit this thread when the lawsuit has been settled.

Do you know what bothers me most about your post? The fact that you would defend a corrupt system for the sake of a a political party. What happend to her was wrong no matter her party affiliation.

edit on 22-5-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join