It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the North Koreans pirates now? Messing with China doesn't bode well... for them

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
article

So I just saw this article about how North Korea is holding a Chinese fishing boat for ransom. This is crazy. And, in my opinion, crazy stupid. China is just about the only friend that North Korea has....
So, it leads me to ponder...
Do they have another new friend in the wings that they don't treasure China? If so who? Could it by Iran with a possible fuel for weapons exchange? Or, given the Russians step up on Syria could it be Iran with overtures by Russia as well?
Does this indicate that U.S. and friends have sewn up the cooperation of the Chinese on the North Korea issue? Has it been made plain to North Korea by China that the ties are already severed and so there is nothing there for North Korea to lose?
Does it indicate an increased likelihood of trauma in that part of the world. An increasingly desperate and dysfunctional North Korea willing to do just about anything now, to just about anybody?

Thoughts ATS?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
My thoughts run to the humorous if this actually moves beyond routine administrative impounding and fines.

China has 4 times the population of the U.S. in roughly the same Landmass. North Korea is a wee little thing by comparison and on a land border. I think China would show little Kim how Tibet felt, not that long ago, if he gets too big for his britches. He's getting there too... Oh. pushing China would be a real real bad thing for him, of all people.

Maybe like Cuba actually threatening to invade the mainland U.S.? I'm just trying to think of "Unfair match-up" that quite applies to this.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

I too wonder what it is all about , but then it could be an easy for DPRK to collect funds that are not sanctioned , and Chian is more than happy to pay although the owners of the ships and crew loved ones are not, but then this might be a way of DPRK China Gov., ties remaining friendly it is been going on for year or more, one article says back in 2008.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I think he just tries to show that he can keep destabilizing the situation in the region and that it would be cheaper just to send N. Korea its annual tribute of economic aid.
China would not attack him for 1 boat. Nukes, international reaction and other complications.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
It appears the ransoms are "small" (at least by international standards) around $50-$100k.

Kim the younger is looking more and more like a brat seeing what boundaries he can push. It will be interesting to see if he gets a talking to or a spanking..

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

I would love to see that haha

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
China also condemned NK after its last nuclear test,Iran seem to be getting quite acquainted with NK though the U.S don't help the situation though i feel north Korea just want to be recognized as a nuclear power but the U.S refuses to acknowledge them as one lol it could get messy.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
New friend in the wing? naa.
The whole government there is just nuts...I know people like that..they will gladly punch their only friend in the face if they go off their meds and sever ties with everyone without a second thought.

North Korea...your crazy second cousin off his meds

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
umm HELLO!
this was posted yesterday
it's a fine against the owners of the ship

spun into propaganda

Originally posted by pheonix358
Of course the other explanation is that the Chinese fishing boat was fishing in NK territorial waters and the 100,00 is simply the fine imposed. It is all in the wording.

Australia has enormous problems with illegal fishing and does the same sort of thing.

To make NK out as the bad guy all you need to do is put a different slant on it. Really, 100,000. That is small change to any Nation. Chump change in fact!

P

Deny Ignorance?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMagus

Your tone may be losing something in the text medium but you seem like you are intentionally attempting to be obnoxious. Search didn't pull it. Article reads as the article reads. You may wish to contemplate if you could have simply shared your information in a manner that is more conducive to discussion. Or, you could continue to just be rude but generally fewer people pay attention to that.

Still, I appreciate the information even if collaborative intel was far from your intent.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcher3339
reply to post by TheMagus

1- Your tone may be losing something in the text medium 2-but you seem like you are intentionally attempting to be obnoxious. 2a-Search didn't pull it. 3-Article reads as the article reads. 4-You may wish to contemplate if you could have simply shared your information in a manner that is more conducive to discussion. Or, you could continue to just be rude but generally fewer people pay attention to that.

5-Still, I appreciate the information 6-even if collaborative intel was far from your intent.

1-it most certainly did

2-see above

2a- lol, it was quite a hassle finding it my browser history too!
search failed and had to go through it link by link!
as for ATS's search, my hypothesis is it's related to having portions of the site invisible to search engines.

3-my dear fellow/lady: surely you know better than to believe what you read in the papers...

4-you may wish to do some contemplating as well...
nobody's killing your thread if you conduct the discussion in such a manner as to enable it to remain up
before a mod checks it [and I have not alerted them, jut so you know ]
5-you're quite welcome
6-see 1&2

also my post was not directed towards you in particular,
but to all and sundry,
especially those members who should know better
and kneejerked/lapsed into "sanity"
edit on 20-5-2013 by TheMagus because: added edit & comment

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Seems we think and guess as well as speculate all we want the Fishermen will be set free www.china.org.cn... form the link

Embassy: DPRK frees fishermen

1 Comment(s)Print E-mail China.org.cn, May 21, 2013

Adjust font size:

The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has released the 16 fishermen it had kept in detention since May 5, the People's Daily quoted an official from the Chinese Embassy in DPRK as saying early Tuesday.

No further details from the embassy were available by press time.

Yu Xuejun, owner of the detained ship, also revealed that he received a call from the ship's captain at 3:50 a.m. Tuesday informing him of their release, according to latest reports.

"The DPRK released our ship and crew and we are about to return," Yu quoted the captain as saying.

According to media reports, private fishing boat "Liaoning Generic Fishing No. 25222" from Dalian City in northeast China's Liaoning Province was seized by the DPRK side, which demanded a ransom of 600,000 yuan (96,774.2 U.S. dollars) on May 5.

Yu called the the Chinese embassy for help on May 10.
was there a fine payed? was there a China threat?? was there no deal and Un did not want to upset China any more?? we will ever know or be told anything ?? does any one care??

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
I think he just tries to show that he can keep destabilizing the situation in the region and that it would be cheaper just to send N. Korea its annual tribute of economic aid.
China would not attack him for 1 boat. Nukes, international reaction and other complications.

well they just need 1 destroyer or 1 targeted missle to take care of long duck dong & the world wouldnt care

new topics

top topics

join