It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What it is, and what it is not.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Love... People have some disturbingly outlandish ideas about it, what it can do, how it does it, what it means, what it looks like, the whole kit and kaboodle, all round thier necks and backwards too.

Let me let you in on a secret. Love is HARD. It doesnt make life into a cake walk, it doesnt make the pushing of the paper of life any easier, nor does it make you richer and wiser. If anything, love can make your life harder than it has ever been before. You could be coasting through life, wandering like a happy little cloud, scudding across the sky of life, and then all of a sudden, you feel like your lungs just emptied out and wont re-inflate. You could swear that your blood has begun to boil, and wonder why all the atmosphere, your faithful friend of many years association, has abandoned you.

Love is not some diabetes inducingly sweet caper, all snuggles, freshly washed matching night wear and perfect holiday snaps on the beach. It is PHYSICALLY painful, mentally taxing, emotionally devastating, and psychologically dangerous. To fall in love is to take your life in your hands, and then think "taking my life in my hands is a big step. Hell with that, better get someone to hold it for me!"

And it is NOT Hollywood either. Fantastic mindblowing sex does not automatically follow a declaration of love, because sometimes these declarations are made under very taxing circumstances, and even worse, people in general, are awe inspiringly stupid, crass, accidentally inappropriate, and need I restate, really bloody stupid. Also, it doesnt always work out.

Sometimes love takes you to dark places. Things you will do for the person you love will frighten you, will place you so far outside your comfort zone, that you will need a Garmin to find the road back, but you will walk that path knowing that you pretty much have to, that you will kick the living hell out of yourself if you dont. Love makes people do insane, wonderful, and sometimes terrible things, and it is not to be messed about with. You do not juggle highly unstable explosives. You do not make smoothies out of radioactive isotopes. And you do not mess around with love. You either do it, or you dont, because BSing around in the middle, and confusing yourself and your significant other, or your family, or whomever you profess to love, makes for bad veiwing, and bad memories.

People call all sorts of things love, when they really arent. When a man loves a woman for instance, he might be there for her when shes in need of his wisdom, support, or just his presence. But that isnt love either. Love only happens when both parties are involved, equally deeply, prepared to go to the same, very serious lengths. Unless you are prepared to fight, to kill, to die, and then come back through force of will and DO IT ALL AGAIN, for your significant other, unless you desire eternity with that person, and have intellectually realised the full weight of that thought, and STILL wanted it, I really dont think its love you have.

Some people will have felt that they would do these things, for a person who will never feel the same way. Thats not love. Unrequited love, is not love, but torture.

But heres a little pointer. If it has never hurt, it aint love yet, and if it never does, then it never will be.

That said its still generally positive. Good luck all.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I hate 'Love'.

Originally posted by TrueBrit

People call all sorts of things love, when they really arent. When a man loves a woman for instance, he might be there for her when shes in need of his wisdom, support, or just his presence. But that isnt love either. Love only happens when both parties are involved, equally deeply, prepared to go to the same, very serious lengths. Unless you are prepared to fight, to kill, to die, and then come back through force of will and DO IT ALL AGAIN, for your significant other, unless you desire eternity with that person, and have intellectually realised the full weight of that thought, and STILL wanted it, I really dont think its love you have.

There are numerous degrees of Love. There are also many various stages. It doesn't have a simple definition. Who are you to tell someone else that they are wrong about the Love that they feel?

Depending upon the person/people, and the specific situation, one person's interpretation of what love is, may differ greatly from the interpretation of another.

[color=656565]Hate is much easier to feel than love

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Hi TrueBrit! (My parents were true Brits too, lol)...
I totally agree with what you wrote...S&F...
I'd give you a standing ovation if I could.
jacygirl

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I like the whole Shakespeare thing your title has going! haha

and even though I beleive you are right! I still wish to fined a partner of my dreams

edit on 20-5-2013 by Casualboy100 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
There is the finest of lines between the emotions of love and hate.

Love is a thousand acts of kindness,

Try to look at the love of your life through different spectacles when they cause hate - it maybe that you are the problem and not them.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The power of love, is a curious thing....makes one man weep, and another man sing....

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
. Love is HARD. .

Dude!

You said, love is "HARD" !!!!

heh. heheheh.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

Yes.... yes I did.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
It's a lot of learning. As the guy, girls expect me to talk to them. I can understand someone wanting me to have the first word because they don't know what to say but it's different when someone isn't even thinking about what to say they are just listening for you to say something.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I tried to say something similar in another thread and people completely flew off the handle.

I think love is not really something that exists. There's really only different degrees of attraction. Love is kind of an abstract concept, and the idea itself is used to manipulate. In general it causes much more negative effects on society than positive.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

I am not saying that love is bad, but I am saying that it is not easy.

If it was easy, it probably wouldnt be worth doing anyway.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

stuff that isn't easy isn't worth doing. challenges are overrated, why not focus on what comes naturally and easily?

what's the payoff? I don't think it's been mentioned yet. Whatever it is, I highly doubt it's worth investing in another dumb human for.....

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
wow.. one of hundred threads and i read it full..

here my answer :

Love is one off the hardest things here at earth.
Maybe cause its not made for here. Maybe we little humans are too *** strange to get it full.
I speak about real deep, endless .. love
Its hard cauz u cant go back at the moment where it happens
and guess me, if it happens, u re simple not longer here at earth.
Your body.. yes
but not your heart and your brain.

There are many ways off love. (!)
You can love and it can hurt you, and you will forget it..
You love your family and your friends.. you love your man or woman..

But guess me:
There exist a love, which u cant discribe.
Where time not longer exist,
where room not longer exist,
and if you feel that:
you only wanna:
DIE!

cauz it hurts as hell..
and you really go through a deep deep down under hell here at earth,
cauz you dont care,
if you find that love, nothing only belongs "here" at earth.

mO

Nia

(edit)

It is Not a Dream, Its Love...

edit on 27-5-2013 by NW111 because: forgot

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NW111

yeah that's all very romantic sounding and stuff, but unfortunately, if you are actually experiencing the type of "love" you're talking about you're probably reckless and irrational.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

The best things that have happened on this planet have been the result of reckless, and irrational thinking. The allied victory over the Nazis in WW2 would never have happened, if an awful lot of people had not have been recklessly irrational enough to believe that the enormous and terrifying military machine that they presented, could be beaten by hastily cobbled together responses.

Despite the idea being utterly ridiculous, I only know a little German, but I speak English fluently. That is just one of a thousand or more examples I could use, and a few million that a small amount of research could uncover. Beneath every massive advancement in technology, every genius moment of literature and art, lies a reckless and irrational thought. You think Tesla had his head together every waking moment? Conan Doyle wrote one of the best detective fictions ever produced, and his creation paved the way for modern detection methods in real life. He also thought fairies inhabited his garden for a time.

Reckless, irrational, but brilliant, awesome, and altogether wonderful.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I don't think those are examples of recklessness or irresponsibility or irrationality.

Bottom line: being reckless irrational and irresponsible with your emotions can lead to nothing good.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Well sure, but there is a way to be reckless and irrational, without being needlessly wanton and irresponsible. Its walking that line which makes the difference between a full life, and a life lived in misery. But you can get just as much misery from never feeling or acting on love as you can from allowing yourself to be lead around by your aorta. You certainly cannot get any genuine joy or contentment, without feeling something for someone.

No one gets to live more than twenty years without love, except sociopaths and psychopaths perhaps.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Love is:

headless, neckless, realityless, timeless, bodyless, whatever less..
completly and 100%

Love is not:

an experiment,
discribeable,
a dream (again) -->only way to stand it trough is to recognize again and again that its NOT a Dream..
dreams you can forget.

There are many ways off love.. and there is only one way for love.

NW

new topics

top topics

join