It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Full Circle - The End of the Oil Age Begins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
An interesting story surfaced in my email box today. It tells of the Ford Motor Company predicting that two-thirds of all automobiles will soon be powered by 4-cylinder engines. This is, of course, a closing of the circle that began over a century ago when Henry Ford cut-loose with the Model-T... which was powered by a very simple (but reliable) 4-cylinder motor.

Since the 'T' began, what we all know today... where the average Joe (or Jane) could afford one of the marvelous velocipedes, has run the gamut through those 4s, straight-6s, V-8s, V-6s, straight 10s, 12s, V-12s, etc.

But, here we are back again as the oil age (finally!) draws to a close and the company that gave us the first mass-produced vehicles that filled every niche... returns to where it began.

Original Story

There is irony here, along with a ton of potential history.

PS - Mods... hope this fits this forum. I wasn't sure whether I should send it to BTS or here.

-R

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

It's understandable why they are going in this direction. Each year they are making 4 cylinder engines more powerful as well as more fuel efficient.

As well as the whole "green" thing is what all the "cool" kids are doing these days.

But, with all that being said.

The only way I'm giving up my V8 is when me and it are a charred smear on the highway.

edit on 20-5-2013 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Peak oil and oil scarcity will be a series of continued speed bumps not a time constrained cataclysm. It will have effects on society, running civilization will get more expensive, until we get an energy game changer.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

The only way I'm giving up my V8 is when me and it are a charred smear on the highway.

I'm sorry... really because, it wasn't my intention to speak negatively to to your (or my own) V-8 engines.

I have more than one antique vehicle. One is a '47 Dodge and has a straight six the size of most V-8s.

The point was how things have finally circled here. We've been addicted to oil.. and quite happily, too, for a lot longer than we ran steam engines on rail or coal power on the high seas.

It's time for a change. It's time for our flying cars. In fact, it's all long overdue, lol!

Cheers

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Oh, no worries. No offense was taken.

And you are right.
I may not accept a 4cylinder, but I would be willing to trade in my gas engine for a nuclear fusion core.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
reply to post by watchitburn

I'm sorry... really because, it wasn't my intention to speak negatively to to your (or my own) V-8 engines.

I have more than one antique vehicle. One is a '47 Dodge and has a straight six the size of most V-8s.

The point was how things have finally circled here. We've been addicted to oil.. and quite happily, too, for a lot longer than we ran steam engines on rail or coal power on the high seas.

It's time for a change. It's time for ourur flying cars. In fact, it's all long overdue, lol!

Cheers

I agree. But everyone says the tech isnt there yet. Total bs. Just noone has put it together yet, and the bad thing is it has been sequestered away by big oil because it is total childs play.

Our world is changing as we speak and everyone knows it just look at the weather and the suns weather. We must change with it or we will fail as a civilization.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I remember watching a program where they showed the early evolution of the engine and there was 20-30L CC engines which are so dangerous to run now that they're in museums so really we've always been downsizing just at some points its faster than others

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Not sure how this means and end to OIL?? Technology is making smaller engines more powerful. In the next few years the U S will be the #1 Oil and Natural Gas producer in the World. New technology has made all this possible and we now have over a 100 years of known reserves just in the U S. Now if we can only get rid of Obama, we can end the deficits and create millions of high paying jobs!!!!

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I thought they were going to go back to hemp powered engines. That title tricked me.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The oil economy will eventually end. It will likely give way to a water economy, in my opinion.

Regardless, that has yet to come. We have a minimum of 100 years left before oil is no longer viable. Not to say it will fuel our economy for that long.....just that it will be in use. If Thomas Gold was correct, even longer.

In any event, the diesel engine may be another major player. Natural gas has typically just been burned off. But now they are able to convert it to a low sulphur diesel as a fraction of the cost of conventional diesel.

Until we can store other forms of energy, liquid energy is likely going to be the methodology used.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LaElvis
reply to post by redoubt

Not sure how this means and end to OIL?? Technology is making smaller engines more powerful. In the next few years the U S will be the #1 Oil and Natural Gas producer in the World. New technology has made all this possible and we now have over a 100 years of known reserves just in the U S. Now if we can only get rid of Obama, we can end the deficits and create millions of high paying jobs!!!!

Just because somebody says something doesn't make it true. Bush.. "We're going to Mars..!". On what budget and space program? Same here. Enjoy being placated. Jobs are up, we're headed to Mars, and oh, we will be the biggest petroleum producer in the world. People want to believe these things so it makes it easy to do so and lie to themselves.
edit on 20-5-2013 by Apollumi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
www.ibm.com...

www.teslamotors.com...

Combine these two links and think about a car that does only need new brakes every 25.000 miles and a new pack of batteries every 10 years.

A horror vision for every automotive company, because you can't rip off the drivers every year.

I like combustion engines very much, but for mass transportation electric power, produced by non fossile energy is the future.
You can always run your vintage V8, but you don't need to and it's cheaper to drive electric.

new topics

top topics

join