It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is the EYE of Horus doing on a BOAT in Troy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I was watching the movie Troy, starring Brad Pitt, the other day and I tried to take a screen shot but failed to do so; In the scene before he goes to fight the enemy towards the end there is a boat shown and I was taken back by the symbol, The EYE of Horus was on the side of the boat.

There is a free version of the movie here...www.videobash.com... @ 107:34 there is the boat.

I thought this was an Egyptian symbol? Why is it on this boat? I really enjoyed the movie, one of the few I actually like Brad Pitt in, but the EYE of Horus on a Greek boat in a movie about the battle of Troy?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
greek triremes were usually painted with eyes on the front to frighten the enemy...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

Good eye OP! To be honest I do not know what to think about this. The best I can say is any movie about history is probably going to have a lot of inaccuracies. Also it could be the eye symbol was used in ancient Greek culture. Just my two cents.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Because the eye actually is far older than what we have been led to believe.

Look up Wadjet and the eye symbolism to begin your journey into the unknown.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Why do I even bother trying to give a perfectly logical explanation to an historical fact that can be proven with actual photographs and depictions and which can be learned in any history book about ancient Greece?

Seriously... nothing wrong with the eye...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
greek triremes were usually painted with eyes on the front to frighten the enemy...
There's your answer.

/thread.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

The Eye Of Horus is depicted on this boat, it is clearly different than the ones you just posted. I am sure there are other civilizations that had eyes, but this struck me as odd. It is a movie and I realize they may have missed the "boat" on their factual representation of the Greek version, I just felt it was odd. This picture I shared is clearly different.
edit on 20-5-2013 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Nope. Not the same.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
There is plenty of history pertaining to the Eye and its symbology. In this case, I would say the second poster is pretty spot on. Being placed on a ship, especially in those days, would be for the purpose of striking fear to the opposition, and symbolizing a sense of awareness.

superstition in those days, was at its prime.

EYE wouldn't wanna f*** with that thing if it was heading in my direction. EYE would think it was a sea-monster or an Alien.

Lol.

edit on 20-5-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Eye of Horus

Trireme

Picture on this boat while not clear as I want is closer to the Eye Of Horus

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

I was not asking about why put an eye on the boat, but rather why this version of an Egyptian symbol on a Greek boat?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
so it seems that the eye in the movie is different from the eyes that have been on boats in real life. so inreguards to the reoccurring theme of illuminatti type symbolism I would say, why did they deviate from the original eye painting?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by soulpowertothendegree
reply to post by iunlimited491

I was not asking about why put an eye on the boat, but rather why this version of an Egyptian symbol on a Greek boat?

Right.
The Eye of Horus is a symbol of protection; so now EYE ask... why not?

Ancient Egyptian and Near Eastern sailors would frequently paint the symbol on the bow of their vessel to ensure safe sea travel

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

reply to post by captaintyinknots

Nope. Not the same.

They were hand painted. All of them were different.

Mountains out of mole hills. Actually, mountains out of lack of historical knowledge.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

HAha i see wat ya did there!!

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

It is not an egyptian symbol. Egypt has no monopoly on the image of an eye, with the stylistic attributes of the one on the ship. Also, this was a MOVIE! If the image had been on an ACTUAL piece of an ancient vessel, then it would be interesting, but not at all unusual. The merest research will so attest, and I bluntly refuse to do it for you, since it is clear you need to absorb some historical knowledge.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I'm sorry if my college degree was not attained through Hollywood movies and their known accuracy and extreme fidelity to historical facts.

Btw Troy also has an airplane.

So someone painted the trireme's eye wrong. That's cool. Someone completely messed up the entire Gladiator movie also... btw in Troy is not just the trireme's eye thats wrong... Achilles also should have been dead before the horse, also hektor ran away from achilles around the city three times before the stand off and.... shall I continue? Or do you want to read it by yourself?

Btw the style of the ships is chronological inconsistent by six centuries or something... and even achilles helmet is off by 5 centuries.

This is for entertaining purposes only. Want something else, then the movie is not what you're looking for.

Looking for historical accuracy in hollywood is ridiculous.

There is no "eye of horus"... there is however another mistake in a movie which already has 1000s of those.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

The Eye Of Horus is depicted on this boat, it is clearly different than the ones you just posted. I am sure there are other civilizations that had eyes, but this struck me as odd. It is a movie and I realize they may have missed the "boat" on their factual representation of the Greek version, I just felt it was odd. This picture I shared is clearly different.
edit on 20-5-2013 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)

1. It's a movie. They are known to grab bag ancient symbols and stuff as decoration and are therefor not always accurate.
2. the greeks were well aware of egyptian culture and hieroglyphs. cultures often use symbols from previous cultures for decoration or in new symbolic ways. you can see this all throughout history and even today.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I'm sorry if my college degree was not attained through Hollywood movies and their known accuracy and extreme fidelity to historical facts.

So someone painted the trireme's eye wrong. That's cool. Someone completely messed up the entire Gladiator movie also... btw in Troy is not just the trireme's eye thats wrong... Achilles also should have been dead before the horse, also hektor ran away from achilles around the city three times before the stand off and.... shall I continue? Or do you want to read it by yourself?

Btw the style of the ships is chronological inconsistent by six centuries or something... and even achilles helmet is off by 5 centuries.

This is for entertaining purposes only. Want something else, then the movie is not what you're looking for.

There is no "eye of horus"... there is however another mistake in a movie which already has 1000s of those.

I agree that it's not that important since many cultures mostly ancient ones in that time used Egyptian hieroglyphs in there art. But what i don't agree with is your blatant disrespect towards the OP and the troll like attitude that you brought to this thread. Instead of insulting him why don't you inform him? With actual links/sources and maybe for once a single sentence without a grammar mistake. And YES there is a Eye of Horus.

It's all in this link.

Or do I have to read that for you?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I hope your college degree made you aware of the fact its Greek Mythology and not historical fact, its tales written hundreds of years after the event, told through poems and songs, also there is very little evidence to suggest Troy even existed as told through those poems and songs. Next your going to tell us Clash of the Titans wasn't historically accurate either? And Zeus was the ruler of thunder?

And the OP i think was more interested with the symbolism of Hollywood more so then the history of Troy... Good Movie BTW

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join