It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large tornado plowing through Moore OK, southern OKC right now

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by hp1229
What amazes me that tornados are nothing new in the US. Why dont they change the construction code to build concrete buildings. At the least they will not be a total destruction unlike wooden homes? Just a thought.
A concrete building would not have stopped an EF4 tornado. Not a chance. I direct hit is a direct hit, and it doesnt matter what the building was made of.
I agree upto certain extent however I'm sure the destruction would be lot less compared to wooden houses with flying debris. It has to be a mix of both along with the construction type and shape itself.

SOURCE
SOURCE2

edit on 21-5-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone has posted this, but the Red Cross is doing training for volunteers tomorrow for anyone who wants to help with the rescue and cleanup. The Oklahoma City Vounteer Network has more information and details.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

The best structure for high winds is a geodesic dome. No flat barriers for the wind to push against.

When you're talking about 200mph winds, though, the material is fairly irrelevant. The shape is the only thing that can really make a difference.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpenEars123
Damn

7am here in the UK and so sorry to hear this news, wish i could come and help y'all.
Deepest thoughts to all of you.

Ps is Okey OK? Only read the 1st 6 pages so far

All good here! There were a few nail biting moments during some tornado warnings here yesterday, but right now we are just dealing with constant lines of new storm developments moving through. I think that the line of concern for tornadoes today will be more in the Texas area.

All our neighbors on the other side of the Red River, stay safe, you are in our prayers.

~OkieDokie

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

What amazes me that tornados are nothing new in the US. Why dont they change the construction code to build concrete buildings. At the least they will not be a total destruction unlike wooden homes? Just a thought.
A concrete building would not have stopped an EF4 tornado. Not a chance. I direct hit is a direct hit, and it doesnt matter what the building was made of.
I agree upto certain extent however I'm sure the destruction would be lot less compared to wooden houses with flying debris. It has to be a mix of both along with the construction type and shape itself.

The images are not showing for me. Just so you know.

I agree with you, it's a fact that the majority of deaths and injuries in a tornado are a result of trauma from debris, that debris is the building materials and vehicles all around. If those buildings and vehicles are not smashing apart there is a lot less material to cause injury - and a lot less material to break apart other buildings.

It's like a domino effect, the first building to break apart creates ammunition within the tornado to smash apart other buildings, and so on and so on. If there are fewer buildings able to be smashed apart and used as shrapnel then there will be a lot less damage and death.

I think - for this are of the state at least - they should be looking at making a corridor with a specified building regulation, preventing tall wooden buildings and limiting it to low and curved solid structures. After it being hit like this twice, they just need to adapt, work with nature and see how things improve.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by seamus

Originally posted by jessieg
If you were very poor and could not afford a tornado shelter, what would you do?
Live somewhere else, obviously. North Dakota is full of jobs and it's cheap to live there.No one who can't afford to build a proper tornado shelter has any excuse for clinging to Tornado Alley.

It is said that this tornado was so bad you really needed to be underground.
I have heard 'most destructive on record'. Truly sad, but I don't pity anyone who has dodged 3 bullets in the last 10 years (like my aunt, who lives north of OKC). When you almost die, nature's telling you something. Listen or don't but it's your responsibility.

That's easy to say, but most people don't have the money to just move, and BTW North Dakota get's tornadoes too.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Yep. I think that would make sense except people have to make a choice in a town to live in identical homes
I would also think that if the dome had indentations similar to a golf ball, it would help cut the winds upto certain extent.

Geodesic domes offer the safest shelter in the most violent weather extremes around the world. In tornadoes and hurricanes, high winds and negative air pressure combine and get under the eves and soffits of conventional housing, then rip the roof off, leaving the occupants exposed. A geodesic dome's aerodynamic shape offers the best above ground protection against winds from any direction, allowing gale force winds to slip past. During an earthquake, a conventional house rocks off its foundation and topples as the earth makes lateral shifts. A dome has an even distribution of weight and a low center of gravity so it moves with the earth. Engineering for incredible snow loads is intrinsic in its design.

SOURCE

OTHER_LINK1
OTHER_LINK2
OTHER_LINK3

Plenty more images on the below link.
OTHER_LINK4

edit on 21-5-2013 by hp1229 because: add link/image

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
For those in Oklahoma and who are wanting to help, I wanted to suggest two great organizations that I have direct experience with.

First is the Oklahoma Medical Reserve Corps. for any with medical training. I am registered with them as a nurse and worked for them taking in refugees from Hurricane Katrina. They are a great team of medical professionals and are mobilized right now in the Moore area.
OKMRC

The second is the Southern Baptist Convention Disaster Relief team. Pretty much anywhere there is a disaster, the SBC will be there. I am also registered with them and they are one of the most welcome sights when working a disaster. I remember working the May 3rd tornado and seeing their food trailer out there and being so relieved at finally getting something to eat. They provide hot food for the disaster workers and affected residents as well as counseling, child care, water purification, and clean up efforts for affected areas. They are such a blessing to the workers as well as those directly affected by disasters.
SBC Disaster Relief

This second link is for the direct Oklahoma Baptist Association BGCO

If you are not currently registered with either, you may not be mobilized at this time, but there will always be tornadoes in Oklahoma and we will always need workers. There is a chance that as the days go by, they will need relief workers and you will be mobilized. I haven't been able to do disaster relief the last couple of years with having 2 little ones at home, but I know what a difference these two organizations make and thought I would share.

~OkieDokie

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Confirmed EF5

JUST IN: The tornado that tore through Moore, OK now confirmed as highest-on-scale EF-5; with winds 200-210mph

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Is that from the NWS research.

Only thing worse then MSM TV reporting is MSM twitter reports.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

It's official.

EF5.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
What devastation this thing makes, unbelievable .. What happens to the people who have lost everything are they insured or do they get compensated by the government for what they lost?

NASA took some shots from above of this Supercell Thunderstorm

I hope those people at Moore will find some shelter and peace.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1
What happens to the people who have lost everything are they insured or do they get compensated by the government for what they lost?

If you have homeowners insurance, then you are covered for your losses. This includes your home, other structures (i.e., sheds, etc), personal belongings, and additional living expenses (i.e., cost of a hotel/apartment until your insurance claim is paid).

If you do not have insurance, then you will likely get some sort of government assistance, but it will be minimal compared to what homeowners insurance will provide.

To read about this in more detail: realestate.aol.com...
edit on 21-5-2013 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I just wanted to check this thread to see if anyone claimed it was a false flag.

I wasn't disappointed.

Stay Classy, ATS. Never change.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

Thanks
, But it will never cover the emotional damage and personal belongings, But you can't fight nature that's something we all have in common. I hope they quickly rebuild and find back their family and memories...

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Oklahoma tornado damage likely to exceed Joplin: commissioner

www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I have a feeling they are playing games with numbers. Unless we have a zombie problem going on? They give official reports of 37 dead. Then 51 dead. And now only 24. Were they trying to get Obama to act quicker on funding by claiming so many were dead and then fixed the numbers after Obama gave funding? And if that is the case then the amount of damage will be inflated double the actual cost. But then again it could be a case of zombies!

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

Yeah, you know how people are around here. I find it funny that some people could actually think false flag when it's a tornado in Oklahoma in May.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Geez, after watching the coverage this evening...this HAS to be the most documented tornado and aftermath in human history.

Anyone who doesn't take precautions going forward, whether it's a helmet or a shelter or bugging out, well, I just don't know what to say to that person.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by EdSurly

I know innocent lives where lost and are lost every year in the US due to tornadoes. would people not build reinforced concrete walls in their homes instead of timber frame?
Its like the story of the Three Little Pigs with the wolf been the tornado.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join