It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large tornado plowing through Moore OK, southern OKC right now

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

These "changes" are new to us, because we were not here to see the storms that were long ago. History repeats itself. I grew up in MO and we never had tornadoes as devastating as the one we saw in Joplin. But when I talk to my grandparents, they will tell me of the bad ones in Kansas that they endured in the 20's, 30's, and 40's.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Wonder how this compares to the "Tri-State Tornado". The Tri was an F5 and this was an F4, so far as we have heard. The tri traveled up to 70 MPH
this one topped out around 30-40. There is also speculation that slower are worse, but what do you guys think? Knowing what we know now, i think that the slower ones are only worse due to water levels and flooding so based on what i am assuming to be accurate then the "Tri-State" one was much bigger, hard to imagine. I shall also add, the "Tri-State Tornado" occurred in 1925, if people are too lazy to google it, of which i am a notorious cut and paster.

The videos, images and reporting on this one are amazing. I have never seen a tornado this close up before. Another interesting fact is that this is the third time, in recent years (correct me if i am wrong) that a tornado took this same exact path.

This is, supposedly, Indian country. How did the Indians survive or live with these tornados or where there just a handful of brave ones?

Also,on comparison with the Tri:

"The tornado was from a quarter to three-quarters of a mile wide"

SOURCE

edit on 21-5-2013 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Good grief this is awful.
The footage on the news looks like hiroshima after the bomb-it is that bad.
Poor people have lost everything.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
My prayers to all of you in Oklahoma and condolences to survivals who lost their loved ones...Disasters are a harsh reality effecting a lot of us all around the world....I think sometimes god is trying to teach us something by sending us natural disasters.But everyone becomes stronger and hopefully a better human when survived a devastating disaster.....Be strong, this too shall pass.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
My thoughts go out to all in Oklahoma. Cant believe how bad this was.

Was crying my eyes out watching news this morning, this is so sad.

My thoughts are with you all.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Horrofying and saddening, wish I could do something to help.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Malcher

I'd say slower is worse. In my opinion, it's one thing to get hit by a 200mph wind for 5 minutes, and a totally different (and worse) situation to endure for say 15 mins.

---

Went to bed last night (in Europe) after watching the News9 live feed for 2 hours. I couldn't sleep well thinking what those poor kids went through. I resisted the urge to barge into my baby girl's room and hug her a lot. And then in the morning I found out there are 20 children that didn't make it. Horrible, and I am so sorry for them and their devastated parents!

And to anyone saying "god must have something in mind, that's why he punished you" or something to that effect, I'd just like to say something that would get my post censored. What kind of god wants children to die? That is not my god for sure.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Just wanted to update the thread with some information.

MOORE, Okla. – Officials have confirmed at least 91 people have been killed in the Moore tornado Monday.

The medical examiner’s office confirmed at least 233 people have been injured.

That number is expected to rise as recovery efforts continue Tuesday morning and daylight arrives.
kfor.com

According to several tweets Oklahoma Highway Patrol is stating that 101 people were found alive in the overnight hours. twitter.com

A photo from KFOR's live update page showing the path and timing of the tornado:
KFOR live updates

Many thanks to those that were updating the thread yesterday. I was away from my computer and was checking the thread through ATS mobile, as always you all are the best at curating news and info from several different sources, including our own members.

To those in the area, my thoughts are with you!!

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Very high chance for tornadoes in northeast Texas.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Sitting here in tears watching these pictures.....

Why do these things happen to kids? Why Kids God?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

... Extremely unstable airmass poised to erupt in severe thunderstorms
with large hail and damaging winds by late afternoon through this
evening...

Rich low level Gulf moisture coupled with steep lapse rates aloft
have resulted in an extremely unstable air-mass across south
central Texas early this morning. An upper level trough pushing
east over central Texas will slide a cold front into western
portions of south central Texas this afternoon. Scattered
thunderstorms will develop rapidly by late afternoon... quickly
becoming severe as the front encounters this unstable air mass.
The main threats will be from large hail and damaging thunderstorm
winds... however with the extreme instability present... isolated
tornadoes cannot be ruled out. Much of the eastern half of south
central Texas will be affected from late afternoon until the early
morning hours Wednesday. In addition... rainfall amounts may
average 1 to 3 inches within the heaviest storms producing some
localized flooding.

www.wund.com...

Heard a storm chaser say they would be in Texas today. Sounds troubling for the east half of Texas.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
KFOR has the death toll up to 91.

kfor.com...

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
If anyone would like to do anything to help the recovery situation text "REDCROSS" to 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross.

www.koco.com...

I have a picture I took I will upload as the tornado was forming. I'll upload it as soon as I can.

My house is still standing. The only damage we had was from nickle size hail. I am about 5 miles north of where the tornado was forming.

The more I see of the damage I am convinced this is the worse tornado ever recorded. Much more destruction than the May 3rd, 1999 tornado

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Fox now saying the initial death count from the Coroner was 21 and not 51?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I speak for all midwesterners...... It isn't the same. Not when children are involved like this...

We are in the Great Recession.... for many people children are all they have.

Devastated.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Folks if you have kids hold them tight dont say a word just hold them because you never know

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
My sons school had a tornado drill last month. This morning before school I asked him to tell me more about it like where does he go etc...

He told me that they go into the GYM, and that there was a stair case going down to a hidden room. I felt comforted for a second then asked him how the whole school fit down there and he told me that only one class could go in at a time because the room was so small!!

So, here is my question, what happens to the rest of the children??? That was crazy. I am going to call the school today to find out more about that!

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curio

There seems to be much confusion on the count.

KFOR has the total at 91

Other media has been reporting 51 all morning (I saw an interview with the Mayor of Moore and he also stated 51)

And now there are reports that the ME is revising down to 24 (confirmed dead).

ETA: Reports are saying that some were counted twice. Also they are now saying 7 children are included in the count. This after the news reporting non-stop that 20 children died at Plaza Towers School. That's a BIG difference.

edit on 21-5-2013 by OneisOne because: added ETA

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by KewlDaddyFatty
If anyone would like to do anything to help the recovery situation text "REDCROSS" to 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross.

www.koco.com...

I have a picture I took I will upload as the tornado was forming. I'll upload it as soon as I can.

My house is still standing. The only damage we had was from nickle size hail. I am about 5 miles north of where the tornado was forming.

The more I see of the damage I am convinced this is the worse tornado ever recorded. Much more destruction than the May 3rd, 1999 tornado

I agree I grew up in enid and lived in kingfisher(the tornado capital of the wolrd) for a few years..

I have seen my share of tornados and damages from tornados, this is the worst devastation I have ever seen

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curio

It seems to me that every time a disaster occurs, the death toll is always overestimated early on and is almost always revised downward. I don't know if this is a result of the chaos or some other, less than honorable, motive. Either way, a tragedy is a tragedy. One life lost is just as sad as 100.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join