It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large tornado plowing through Moore OK, southern OKC right now

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

Now I have no idea of the area, but perhaps they can't build underground shelters because of a high water table? I know some regions can't even have basements because of this.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
51 confirmed now...
Time for me to stop. Just can't do anymore.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

What I was told about this particular area is that it is basically all rock, making the cost of basements, bunkers and shelters extremely high.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Not too much to be said because most has already been said. Just my prayers and thoughts for those involved. Really sad, even sadder when children are involved.

Peace

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Well, a lot of Oklahoma is clay, and the water table is around normal really. The thing is, most people have basements or storm shelters. The problem is, you may not be home when the storm hits. A lot of people are on their way to or from work when these happen, that's where a lot of the injuries come from.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

if you are seeing that kind of a sky, you better keep your eyes open and shelter close.
I have seen those sky's before. Its never a good thing.
Grew up in that area of the country.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave_welch
reply to post by Rocker2013

You do realize that dome structures are expensive, right?

That's what annoys me, people who think they have the answers. I'm sure all the people around here would be glad to have a tornado resistant house, if they could afford it.

I'm not suggesting it's simple or cheap, but if you live in a place where this happens, you either do it, or you move, or this is the kind of thing you risk having to deal with. Of course, the cost of replacing everything - even if you have insurance - is another expense that a family could put into a more suitable home, so is it really not more cost effective to spend a little more on a dome construction?

Either way, this is a discussion for another time. Right now it's about the people having to live through this. I just hope all those displaced people have enough help, and that anyone trapped might be found quickly.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I took this pic yesterday (edmond,okla.) just down the street its no comparison to what happened to shawnee later that day and now in Moore, I just wanted to relate how strange these tornado's are...this was a tree in the front yard pulled and split from the ground and yet their house just a few feet away was totally untouched no broken windows and no other visible damage it boggles my mind...At times it just doesn't seem scientifically possible.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by MidnightTide
I haven't been listening to 4 NEWS, but a friend just told me that they locked the parents out and would not allow them to pick up their children.

kfor.com...

If this is true.......
Ive heard that as well, and my first reaction was, if that were my child, theyd have a BIG problem on their hands. Or I would. But I know it wouldnt go well.

There seems to be a lot of confusion due to not having any communication. I heard a cop asking if a bus was coming to the school. He wanted to know where the parents were. I couldn't understand if he meant for live children or not?? Last I heard they were trying to figure out how to get parents in?? Hard to understand, when they start talking over each other.....another cop said they needed to evacuate, I don't know from where....I'm still wondering what happened to the people who were originally in the hospital that supposedly got leveled??? Has anyone heard or seen any pics???

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I'm in West Tennessee and cannot find a detailed forcast for us for tomorrow when this system is supposed to hit us. Has anyone seen a recent forcast for West TN for this system and if they think it will have as much punch? I know it is supposed to be upper 80's to lower 90's tomorrow here so if this front holds together we might get something from it.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Meteoroligist just did a side scan of the storm, registered 105mph for velocity. 15 minutes away. damaging winds

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
My thoughts and prayers are with those affected. We've all looked up at a storm thinking it won't hurt me or my family. Be safe and express your caution to people you know it could harm.
edit on 20-5-2013 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glassbender777
Sirens are starting to sound. They start up the sirens, so the doors Unlock at the school shelter system. Every elementry and Junior High school has a Shelter in place. Wow the parking Lot is overflowing, I live 100 feet from the shelter.

They are saying they are bringing all the plaza kids to the Moore school. Do you know if they mean deceased?? Sorry to ask?? I'm still listening to the scanner, but I was hoping they would find some alive..

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

Ya im in Fort Smith, AR. The school shelters are built very good they are above ground, but half covered with earth around all the edges, reinforced structures.

Most people around here have shelters dug into the ground, made from concrete. The ground is very hard in certain areas, with clay, and rock.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
It missed us by a 1\2 mile, it was huge and sounded like a freight train. Just got back from walking where it did hit and it's hard to describe the devastation after seeing it first hand, entire neighborhoods and commercial businesses gone, Moore hospital is destroyed. Cable service at the house is down so some of you may know more details than I. Last I heard there were 37 deaths but I have no way to confirm that, also heard that some of the kids trapped had drowned
I do have pics but may be awhile before I can get them downloaded.

Just received some info that the death total was up to 55, can anyone confirm this?

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Sadly they are reporting some children did not make it through the storm. Very Sad. Its still ongoing as far as rescue. Its bad

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Tornado warning in my area, moving 45 moh my way. Sh@t .......... Ok Im going to the shelter, peace out

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

i have heard 51 and 57 on the news...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Here are two BreakingNews.com feeds I have been following for those interested...

Severe storms hit Great Plains, Midwest, May 20, 2013

Fatalities confirmed at Plaza Towers Elementary School in Moore, Okla., officials say; no details given - @NBCNews

Oklahoma, US

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
51 confirmed plus so many more still missing and undoubtedly more deaths to come. I wouldn't be surprised if the toll his in the 70s or even that hundreds.
As an update from my previous post i got in touch with my family in OKC and Norman. They are safe. One member of my family is with a chaser group, he is okay as well.

There was no escaping this funnel. If you were ground level you were doomed, no hiding in closets, or tubs, this one was a cellar/basement only. sad.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join