It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large tornado plowing through Moore OK, southern OKC right now

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

well I know the water treatment plant is down, so they are saying don't drink the water....

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by burdman30ott6

It's just insanely powerful. And, according to the weather gurus, it formed, ramped up and touched down all within 15 minutes.

Communities in tornado factories like Oklahoma could at least encourage geodesic dome construction for homes and small offices. A dome will withstand virtually anything wind-wise. The problem is they aren't feasible for most commercial, industrial, and service facility applications. Also, a lot of the damage caused during any tornado is from the debris, especially big debris like vehicles and large signs, which is virtually impossible to do much about.

It may sound cliche, but really the only solution for preventing any deaths due to tornados is not to live in or build in tornado alley. When you get right down to it, though, no place is perfect. Every corner of the globe has to deal with either earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, blizzards, dust storms, droughts, floods, heat index, volcanos, or some other almost Biblical apocalyptic event now and then.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I haven't been listening to 4 NEWS, but a friend just told me that they locked the parents out and would not allow them to pick up their children.

kfor.com...

If this is true.......

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
I haven't been listening to 4 NEWS, but a friend just told me that they locked the parents out and would not allow them to pick up their children.

kfor.com...

If this is true.......
Ive heard that as well, and my first reaction was, if that were my child, theyd have a BIG problem on their hands. Or I would. But I know it wouldnt go well.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
My family is in OKC and unfortunately some in Norman which was hit. They survived '99 and bought a hey with a basement afterward. We can't get in touch with them yet. This is insane, I have driven through a storm that produced 14 tornadoes and it was one of the scariest moments of my life.

I have to say.. obviously this is common this time of year, but two tornadoes this huge in less than a week? They are calling this ef4 but I heard it varied between 1 and 2 miles wide and given the devastation I don't know how this isn't being called an ef5 and imagine it might be upgraded. 30+ deaths confirmed and many more than that still missing. So many of the dead are children, a school flattened.

I have had a close call with one of these and know the terror and feel for these people, but I didn't lose my life or my home or a family member so I really can't imagine how hard it is. I

I just want to say two tornadoes this size so close together is wild. I think we are going to keep seeing these monster twisters.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

As it was developing, in real time, CNN reported, through an affiliate, that only parents would be allowed to pick up their kids. No buses, no carpool, etc.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

As it was developing, in real time, CNN reported, through an affiliate, that only parents would be allowed to pick up their kids. No buses, no carpool, etc.
I had heard they placed the kids under a shelter in place order, and they werent releasing them at all, until an all clear was given.

Given the recent history of reporting, though, who knows what the truth is....

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Sirens are starting to sound. They start up the sirens, so the doors Unlock at the school shelter system. Every elementry and Junior High school has a Shelter in place. Wow the parking Lot is overflowing, I live 100 feet from the shelter.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

A grandmother was interview on 4 NEWS, she said herself and several parents were not allowed to pick up their kids? I don't have any confirmation, just saying what a friend heard.

Like captain said, if I was a parent and you wouldn't let me have my kid, then there would be some HUGE problems.
edit on 20-5-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
They were not letting parents into the school area. Could that be the 'couldn't pick up' situation.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Dude...before you call a "False Flag" event with the kids being "held hostage" or "being actors", take the time to realize that the roads are prolly blocked with debris and lines are down and etc etc that follows a cat 5 tornado laying waste.

Those kids will be fine. It's the ones that are missing that you should be worried about.

Keep it on topic.
edit on 20-5-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Just breaking, death toll rises to 51....with 500 homes destroyed, a Lowes, a Target, 2 schools...

I fear this will be in the 100's...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Wow, Its really still right now, and very quite. Like all the insects and birds have just disappeared. The sky looks very strange, it got that weird color to it, grey, green, and Ugly.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glassbender777
Wow, Its really still right now, and very quite. Like all the insects and birds have just disappeared. The sky looks very strange, it got that weird color to it, grey, green, and Ugly.
Please tell me that this isnt just the calm before another one

what a sad day....

link   
As far as emergency personnel not letting parents get there kids, If true, I imagine it's because they're doing medical checks on the kids to check for injuries.

link   

Originally posted by canucks555

Dude...before you call a "False Flag" event with the kids being "held hostage" or "being actors", take the time to realize that the roads are prolly blocked with debris and lines are down and etc etc that follows a cat 5 tornado laying waste.

Those kids will be fine. It's the ones that are missing that you should be worried about.

Keep it on topic.
edit on 20-5-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)
I dont recall his saying anything of the sort. He was passing along info that he was given.

Keep it on topic

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

You must be in Missouri or Arkansas then, as it sounds like you're getting what we got a little over an hour ago.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
It may sound cliche, but really the only solution for preventing any deaths due to tornados is not to live in or build in tornado alley. When you get right down to it, though, no place is perfect. Every corner of the globe has to deal with either earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, blizzards, dust storms, droughts, floods, heat index, volcanos, or some other almost Biblical apocalyptic event now and then.

This is something that annoys me. There are actually a lot of places where the people have adapted to live WITH their environment.

I wonder the same thing when I see the flooding in the UK, it's always the same places, with brick houses built on ancient flood-planes. Wouldn't it make sense to knock out the ground floor and build up? I would gladly live in such a place and have the beauty of living there with the occasional annual risk of flooding. If you're up above it you can easily remain there and watch it for a day or two.

In places like this, the majority of all injuries from a tornado are from building materials, and that comes from the houses. Even if they only made 50% of the property there in a dome design, that would reduce the potential for injuries from that debris dramatically.

Places like this need to plan ahead when something like this happens. Why not ENCOURAGE these people to build again in a suitable design more likely to survive another tornado? If you have the risk of thousands of people leaving, surely it makes sense to offer these people something to encourage them to stay? The city could now bring in an experienced team of architects to help these people for nothing, to build something SUITABLE for the landscape they live in.

If you live beside a river that floods, you build a floating home or something on stilts. If you live on a hill with a risk of land slips and floods, stilts again (they do this a lot in Australia). If you live in a place with a risk of high winds, you build solid and low... this is just common sense.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't get worse for these people and they get all the help they need in the rescue process. It's so terrible to hear about those poor kids. It's not just people in the US watching this and thinking about these poor people.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
BREAKING: Various media sources cite the state medical examiner, saying at least 51 people were killed, including 7 children from the Plaza Towers Elementary School.

www.wsbtv.com...

And more warnings
Please seek cover and stay safe everyone in the area....

Photos and video here... www.wsbtv.com...
edit on 5/20/2013 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

You do realize that dome structures are expensive, right?

That's what annoys me, people who think they have the answers. I'm sure all the people around here would be glad to have a tornado resistant house, if they could afford it.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join