It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cashless Society Arrives In Africa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
It was recently announced at the World Economic Forum in Cape Town, South Africa that MasterCard and the Nigerian National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) under the government of Nigeria would form a partnership to distribute a new identity card to every Nigerian citizen. The purpose of the card is to have all Nigerian citizens participate in the financial services sector under the control of MasterCard, a multinational financial services corporation headquartered in New York. MasterCard’s press release ‘MasterCard to Power Nigerian Identity Card Program’ stated:

As part of the program, in its first phase, Nigerians 16 years and older, and all residents in the country for more than two years, will get the new multipurpose identity card which has 13 applications including MasterCard’s prepaid payment technology that will provide cardholders with the safety, convenience and reliability of electronic payments. This will have a significant and positive impact on the lives of these Nigerians who have not previously had access to financial services.

Full Story Here
www.getoutofdebtfree.org...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The only positive impact will be for the TPTB. A cashless society is something they have always wanted as it allows them unrestricted access to our habits and interests via our purchases. No one will be able to purchase goods or services without the Government knowing about it and making sure it is appropriately taxed.

It is also not surprising that a big US multi-national will be in charge of the whole thing. This way they can centralize control as it is implemented in other countries around the world.

This also acts as a defacto national ID card. This really couldn't get more Orwellian.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I am pretty sure Africa (all of it) has always been cashless.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

As soon as I seen MASTERCARD mentioned that was enough to tell me that there is a HUGE Pile of Money to be made.

Unfortunately there will more than like be fees attached to Everything ,. . Like:

Fees for Each Transaction
Deposit Fees
Withdrawal Fees
Fees for Not maintaining a Minimum Balance
Fees for using the card outside a specified location
And the list goes on.

So,. . In the End their Cashless Society will Become Penniless.

I know that it has been talked about I just never knew that this is how they would Eliminate the Penny.

edit on 20-5-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

It was the bit at the bottom that got me, that protesters could have their cards switched off.

So we can assume that if you have a parking fine, tax bill etc they will just take this at source and if you have not got enough then every time $100 goes into your account you will be left with $50 as the first $50 will go to outstanding debt
We would totally be at the mercy of companies putting in claims on your card.

This is a worse existence than anyone imagined.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

You just brought up a hell of a good point.

Some of the items you listed ALSO charge a "Premium" just for using your card.

Go Figure. . . It will be coming from ALL Sides.

BIG Damn Unfortunate.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I wonder if their citizenship is worth the same for Master Card as it is to their country.
If they have the option to max out their credit, or what ?

New are they to a service like this... I really hope they follow news from our parts of the world.
They might avoid to do what we did for decades.

I won't be surprised that they are told all is good, get in as much debt as possible and still won't notice they are the first enslaved nation as a whole, by a multinational.

Questions...

Well I will be waiting. I guess it won't take so long.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

"This will have a significant and positive impact on the lives of these Nigerians who have not previously had access to financial services"

How?

There were no banks in Nigeria before,no shops that accepted cash?

So people without credit cards had to scrounge off the land,and weave their own fabric for clothing?

This sounds like the start of enslavement of some sort.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Will the card holder also get chipped ? So if he lost his card, you are linked to it ?

Maybe a little to much huh...

If the would chip the people the wouldn't need all the extra effort to also provide them with a card.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I hope they finally can collect the millions kept by the banks of their deceased relatives and stop sending mails to let someone else help them collect it.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
It shall be cashless, because they have no cash. At least they weren't so obvious as to go to Zimbabwe. Toting wheelbarrows full of paper has got to be a lot of work.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TFCJay

Africa was never cashless. As someone has said its Owellian.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

You mean a chip with the numbers 666.

May as well start now...

edit on 21-5-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Just wondering who they are going to pull off the Nigerian internet scams after this. Mastercard probably believes they have all the loose ends tied up, but I think that, with all the culturally approved corruption in Nigeria, they will find some work around.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FreedomEntered

Why would you give a number ? It's a bad idea without linking it to our impending doom.

If people still only see benefits and are blind for what the wrong people could use it for, then I don't want to here them complaining later on.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

By handing the people a financial service, you don't make it impossible for them to make others tranfer money, cause they believe what you offer to be real ?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Dumbass

Yes i too have been beseeched by would-be wealthy Nigerian heiresses to please help them to free up the fafillions of bucks left by their deceased dad in some Swiss/British bank account
Can't any wealthy Nigerian men/princes just make it easier for their relatives by sticking the money in some Nigerian bank,and make a will+let a reputable lawyer assist his family upon his death?
Then they won't have to accost faceless strangers on the net for assistance to get to those fabled riches so cruelly withheld from them by bothersome international red tape

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

But we can't have fun anymore

Fun like this with Joe Eboh

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Another thought that occured to me:In Nigeria,as in my own country and all over Africa,very poor people make a hand-to-mouth but sufficient living to buy food,have a roof over their head,clothe their children,etc-by setting up small pavement vendor tables.Or they just spread a cloth on the ground,and display their stock.Usually fruit,loose candies(lollipops,boiled sweets,etc that wont melt in the hot African sun) loose cigarettes,maybe some muti-related items,second-hand clothing,etc.

They make an income for themselves,although,like i said,pretty much a hand-to-mouth existence,but they manage.Or the talented ones make arts+crafts items and such.
These people sometimes have a battle buying new stock even,leave alone machines to process these credit card transactions.

I wonder if this is not going to be the deathknell for smalltime(and i mean Smalltime) informal businessmen/women?

edit on 24-5-2013 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Dumbass

When i got to this pic,i actually had to crawl off my chair and hope to make it to the ladies' room in time

BRILLIANT,ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT-Father Mike Myers!

top topics

join