It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Justice Department Targeted Fox News Reporter!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by flobot

Oh for goodness sakes... and maybe this reporter was actually building nuclear super-bombs in his basement and selling them to Al Qaeda cells they still haven't found...all without getting directly caught.

I mean, how silly do we want to get with what if's when the purpose and reasoning isn't necessarily in dispute by the press themselves, their parent organizations who were the targets of the enforcement action or the Government who did it.

They didn't surgically take what may have been relevant, even if what they did was ever appropriate....and that remains to be seen in Courtrooms, I have no doubt by this point. What they did was aim a GIANT vaccum cleaner hose and hoover up all the reporter/journalist related records in sight and which MAY....Maybe..kinda...'could be', hold something of relevance. How many sources, totally unrelated to THIS story, were burned by the sheer act of ruling them out in the way Government processes records it hoovers in an investigation?

This isn't theory to keep running fantasy what if's about as if it's all just made up. This really happened to Fox News Corp and the Associated Press Corp, and it really happened by U.S. Government enforcement efforts over stories the news organizations had or were in the process of getting. That is a BIG NO NO under the 1st Amendment.

They could have gotten there by investigating EVERYONE inside the department the leak was coming from....but I'll bet that would have violated some Government Employee union protection on their privacy or something. It wouldn't surprise me. Just shotgun approaching Press records and all forms of communication is really really out there though. As the stories are coming to agree.....It's NEVER been done in the United States before. Bad days.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
reply to post by Indigo5

If phone records, wiretaps, and tracking of movements were for the discovery of the leakers and not to punish/attack the reporters than where are the arrests?

Completely ignoring my third question in my post did not escape my notice either. I'll wait your response to that question before I say anything else.

Your third question was the same as the above? I chose not to answer because it seems irrelevant to the argument? Are DOJs investigative process legitimate/illegitmate based on wether they make an arrest? I don't understand? Wether the investigation is or is not legally or logically sound is a different question as to wether it bares fruit.

It is famously unsound thinking to justify or not justify the "means" dependant on "outcome".

Either supeoning a reporters phone logs in pursuit of who leaked the secrets (not the reporter) is Kosher or it isn't. Whetehr they gain ground from that information is a different question.

How have these reporters been "punished" or "attacked" like you continue to claim? They are not the subject of an investigation...the leaker is the subject. They are not subject to prosecution either...so please explain your claim.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by flobot

What if this reporter was legitimately involved in illegal activities? Being part of the "press" doesn't give you the go ahead to break laws.

Agreed, but see no evidence of illegal activities the reporter was involved in.

If he was stealing or an active participant of sneaking classified information out of government agencies...then he should be "targeted" and investigated.

If he is "Stealing" the info ..yes. If he is "reporting" stolen info...NO. Protected by the US constitution.

What they can do is pull the phone logs of reporter X, limited to the time surrounding the leak and look for contact Y at CIA or Congress etc, The warrant that a judge signs off on has to specify Time...and what they are looking for. Either way the reporter is not vulnerable to prosecution.

If a source comes to you with information and you report on it, that is one thing. If you are an active participant in leaking confidential information, that is an entire other matter. Espionage doesn't have to from another country.

Not sure what you mean by "active participant"...but just for clarity...even a reporter who solicits/asks for classified material in the USA...is permitted to do so by law. Ditto when they report that info they requested from thier source.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I submit that since no one in the government has been arrested, charged, fired, punished, or identified as the leaker the object was to target reporters. If you honestly feel that violating someones email account is not relevant, then by all means post your account and password otherwise.........

Instead of going after the reporters how about the employees of the government email accounts, phone records, and track their movements. Remember it is a government employee after all that is breaking the law by leaking in the first place.

BTW if this happened in 2004 you would be on the other side of the argument so I really don't take you very seriously anyway.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

OK...on Rosen/Fox Reporter...it just broke that DOJ named him as a "Co-Conspirator" to Jin-Woo Kim when the obtained the search warrants...

Over-reach into the 1st amendment...and the Judge that signed off should have his ass handed to him along with anyone accountable at DOJ.

They didn't name Rosen/Fox in the indictment and indicted only Kim, so it appears they used the "Co-Conspirator" tag/claim/accusation to get the warrants to investigate Rosen/Fox that they wouldn't have been able to get otherwise legally or ethically as per the 1st amendment....all in the pursuit of Kim/Leaker.

Eitehr way...requesting warrants where you claim a reporter as co-conspirator in espionage...even if you intend on dropping it later is GROSS over-reach, unrespecting of the constitution...someone needs to burn for it.

Start with DOJ..work up the ladder...stick to facts...the precise "who's" ...who thought it up, who approved the tactic...including the judge that signed the warrant

My worry is that politics will lead to ...well politics...where people shout about Obama/Holder...while no one starts with the facts and follows them. Who at DOJ was running the investigation? What agents submitted the warrant with Rosen/Fox as co-conspirators, who did they report to "immediately"...don't outright scream "holder"...follow it up the chain, button it down...otherwise make sure that what is actually a genuine eff-up that needs to be punished doesn't get lost and dismissed in political positioning and finger pointing.

Here's hoping heads role on this one....AP though? not fully convinced, need to see the warrant now to see if they tried the same tactic with AP as "co-conspirators"...if so, then this has scandal legs and then some.

If it leads to POTUS, then so be it...but if the right wing pols in DC skip the investigation to just start claiming things...screaming "Obama".."Holder"...it will get lost in the fog of BS/politicized and frankly this is to important to get lost in the fog of BS. Fingers crossed.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
reply to post by Indigo5

I submit that since no one in the government has been arrested, charged, fired, punished, or identified as the leaker the object was to target reporters.

Catch up...This guy was arrested as the Rosen leak
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

And FYI...
DOJ Calls Fox News Reporter James Rosen 'Co-Conspirator' In Leak Case; Journalists Outraged
www.huffingtonpost.com...

probale cause to believe that the reporter has committed or is commiting a violation of 793(d) as an aider or abbettor or co-conspirator, to which the materials relate.

Doc at the bottom of link above...

edit on 20-5-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

Here is 793(d)

Whoever, lawfully having possession of, access to, control over, or being entrusted with any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, or note relating to the national defense, or information relating to the national defense which information the possessor has reason to believe could be used to the injury of the United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation, willfully communicates, delivers, transmits or causes to be communicated, delivered, or transmitted or attempts to communicate, deliver, transmit or cause to be communicated, delivered or transmitted the same to any person not entitled to receive it, or willfully retains the same and fails to deliver it on demand to the officer or employee of the United States entitled to receive it; or

edit on 20-5-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

On this, we would seem to agree. If you've been following my posts, then you know I don't generally agree with Obama being targeted for investigation. At least, not at this stage and not until evidence takes things there. I'm far more concerned with the multitude of "little people" who don't change every 4 years but service for 20 or 30 years with a GS rank from low to high.

If I'm reading you right, you're for accountability starting at the point of actual wrong and back up as far as decision making went to bring that about. Fair enough...and anything beyond that is either in simple support of a much larger pattern (which isn't proven yet either) of total failure to lead, or it's vindictive beyond logic.

I'd agree that in order for the buck to stop somewhere, it needs to start.....and people are wayyy too hung up on the flashy political targets. Not so much down where things really happen in Government. That is where it needs to start.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Yes, I agree on all counts...

Reginald B. Reyes, Special Agent, FBI (Leak Investigator)
Submitted the probable cause/requested the Warrant naming Fox News Reporter as "Co-Conspirator" to Espionage.

Alan Kay
Administrative Judge that signed off on that warrant.

Rosen was never the target, but accusing him, a reporter, of "Co-Conspiracy" in Espionage, even if to just get a warrant and further an investigation into the leaker (Kim) is not OK...not under any circumstances...the 1st Amendment isn't there only for when it is convenient. DOJ needs to be kicked hard for this and someone needs to testify/be fired/be prosecuted or all of the above....whatever. The ACLU and FOX might have a common goal for once.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Let's look at what you posted from your link:

They used security badge access records to track the reporter’s comings and goings from the State Department,

Where's the scandal here? You betcha your comings and goings are tracked when you go to a government building. You have no right to expect that be privileged information.

They traced the timing of his calls with a State Department security adviser suspected of sharing the classified report. They obtained a search warrant for the reporter’s personal e-mails.

Leaked classified reports, and they obtained a search warrant.

Where's the scandal?

When you enter a government building, your comings and goings are monitored. They have access to this information and they can use it if illegal things are going on.

This isn't a scandal, this is due diligence under the law.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Well, I'm surprised to say we really are of like mind on an issue then. It ought to be pursued and let the guys who did the deeds fall hard for them. If there are more above them, I'm sure they'll be quick to talk about it, assuming someone throws the book at the first ones to begin with. The thing on this one, as you note, everything is documented through the court. Not much to deny or argue for at least the start of what happened here.

If it's the FBI it's based in..Well, after all I read about Waco, Texas? My respect for the Texas Rangers went up measurably. My respect for the FBI went into the toilet with a big plop. Their house has needed cleaned out for quite some time, IMO.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
a legitimate News Organization

This is my point.
America doesn't have ANY legitimate new organization as far as I can tell. It's all insular, xenophobic, nationalistic propaganda of one flavour or another.

The fact that so many Americans like to pick and choose which brand of BS they swallow is the real telling thing.

Americans seem desperate to pick a team in everything, whether it's politics, news, TV shows or celebrity divorces (Brad and Jennifer - remember that?) It looks like none of you can form an independent opinion and step out of picking a side - you all have to belong to one team or another, cheer leading for your own side while attacking the other.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok

Let's look at what you posted from your link:

They used security badge access records to track the reporter’s comings and goings from the State Department,

Where's the scandal here? You betcha your comings and goings are tracked when you go to a government building. You have no right to expect that be privileged information.

They traced the timing of his calls with a State Department security adviser suspected of sharing the classified report. They obtained a search warrant for the reporter’s personal e-mails.

Leaked classified reports, and they obtained a search warrant.

Where's the scandal?

When you enter a government building, your comings and goings are monitored. They have access to this information and they can use it if illegal things are going on.

This isn't a scandal, this is due diligence under the law.

Where's the scandal?
They named a reporter as a criminal co-conspirator...... for doing his job.
That is what reporters do, get information and REPORT it to the public.

The chilling effect is enormous. Just read what the news media is writing about this case!

The First Amendment? That's irrelevant to you, I suppose?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok
[Where's the scandal here?

Take off the partisan sunglasses and take a real look at what is happening.

James Rosen was falsely accused of 'co-conspiracy' to a federal crime. He was falsely accused in order to get a search warrent that was motivated out of partisanship. A reporter who is reporting what is given to him is NOT a co-conspirator. He is protected under the 1st amendment. And the DOJ was required to notify James Rosen that they broke into his personal EMAILS and they were required to notify FOX News that they broke through their security protocols at servers at work and went through their records. The Obama DOJ did not notify anyone as they were required to do.

The Obama DOJ is leaning on journalists. AP. FOX. Probably more. It's Nazi-esque.
Even the left wing journalists like CNN and Huffington Post are upset with this behavior.
Even they can see what is going on and it frightens them.
If a far left wing POTUS/DOJ like the Obama administration is pulling this illegal crap,
then when a far right wing POTUS gets in, he/she will be able to get away with it too.

The AP and FOX both have a good basis for lawsuits against the DOJ/Obama administration

We should ALL be wary of what this DOJ/POTUS are doing ....

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

This is my point.
America doesn't have ANY legitimate new organization as far as I can tell. It's all insular, xenophobic, nationalistic propaganda of one flavour or another.

Did you mean for that to sound like a mini-rant against America and Americans or did it just kinda come out that way? Last I checked (about every morning) the world press had no better options than any of the newstainment on the US market?

Russia Today..... Press TV... Al Jazeera, the BBC and more... Not a worthwhile source among them. Not even one. They all get some stories right and most wrong, just like everyone else. I really had to ask though as your focus was SO singular to America as opposed to the world in general...I'd almost think you had a special axe to grind, outside a fair look at the topic we're discussing here?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

That's because Bush didn't pay for people to track conversations about him and set up 'Truth Teams'.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Does it not seem kind of strange how these are some of the same people who discounted this situation happening when congress passed the "Patriot Act" and then the "NDAA".
This is the kind of legislation whcich gives cover to these searches by the government.
I don't fully agree with what is going on, but it's kind of refreshing to see the chickens come home to roost.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

I agree...OK to track Reporter/Rosen via his security badge access at State.
OK to obtain a warrant to look at Rosen's phone logs, email etc....as long as it is limited exclusively to the leak material and Reporter/Rosen isn't the "target", but rather the leaker.

Where this crossed a big line was that the FBI Special agent didn't have enough evidence (probable cause) to get a warrant for Reporter/Rosen's emails...so he designated Reporter/Rosen as a suspected "Co-Conspirator" in Espionage in order to get the warrant. Though they only indicted the leaker (Kim) at the end of the day...the accusatioin of a reporter as a "co-conspirator" in espionage on a warrant...even as a temporary "convenience" can't be tolerated...it's a slippery slope and the 1st amendment is not open for take-it-or-leave dpendant on the government's immediate needs.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

If it's the FBI it's based in..Well, after all I read about Waco, Texas? My respect for the Texas Rangers went up measurably. My respect for the FBI went into the toilet with a big plop. Their house has needed cleaned out for quite some time, IMO.

Reginald Reyes is the FBI Special agent that got the warrant and is the lead investigator into the Kim leak case. He is a spy-hunter at DOJ in DC. The warrant sums up his credentials. Good for him on his career keeping national security secrets safe, but he apparently has gotten very lost in the tall grass if he is designating reporters co-conspirators in espionage to get warrants...his career needs to end pronto and we need to find out where her got the idea...if it has been used other places (AP?) ..who else at DOJ has done it for warrant purposes etc.

The Warrant with all the detail is at the end of this article...the original Scribd version was gone already when I looked for it yesterday.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

BTW - The only way this would have been a legitimate designation ...by any stretch of the imagination...would be if the FBI had demonstrated probable cause that Rosen had direct ties to gov/intelligence operations in North Korea and was recieving cash or incentives to pump Kim for the leaked info. ...But I didn't see anything along those lines in the warrant.

Simple question for DOJ: What was the legal foundation for the "co-conspirator - espionage" designation in the search warrant and how does that reconcile with the 1st amendment?

<< 1    3 >>

join